Jul 9, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #79,201 of 150,695
Now I'm hungry for a pork tenderloin sandwich, for those that haven't had one

Pork_tenderloin_sandwich.jpg

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #79,202 of 150,695

That certainly looks like the real deal. :ksc75smile:

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #79,203 of 150,695
Any Ohio food specialties? I am over there on occasion to buy audio equipment and in past years for card or chess tournaments.
Cincinnati Chili is an odd bird, invented by Greek immigrants, only in Cincinnati do people ever say, "Western Chili" to distinguish what other people just call "Normal" chili. Some like it, others hate it. It is claimed to have cinnamon or allspice or even chocolate as ingredients. It is traditionally served over spaghetti, and cheese, beans and or onions are added. There are no beans in the chili itself. I like it, I also like Western Chili, but some people consider this an either/or thing, you cannot like both. I like all sorts of BBQ sauces as well, and happily try local favorites wherever I go.

Columbus has lots of great German restaurants, Cincinnati has a few, but less. And many of the old Cincinnati breweries have been reborn, with original recipes in some cases. Cincinnati originally had a thriving brewery district.

Another Ohio specialty is Goetta. All impoverished immigrants invented a mix of leftover meat with grain to extend it: The Pennsylvania Dutch call it scrapple, the Italians call it Polenta, the Chinese call it Fried Rice. In Ohio the Germans mixed pork with oats and onions and spices and then slow cooked it until it was paste like, then chilled it, sliced it and fried it. Goetta. It is very good. Cincinnati has a Goetta festival, and a few competing companies who claim their secret recipe is "the best."

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #79,204 of 150,695
Cincinnati Chili is an odd bird, invented by Greek immigrants, only in Cincinnati do people ever say, "Western Chili" to distinguish what other people just call "Normal" chili. Some like it, others hate it. It is claimed to have cinnamon or allspice or even chocolate as ingredients. It is traditionally served over spaghetti, and cheese, beans and or onions are added. There are no beans in the chili itself. I like it, I also like Western Chili, but some people consider this an either/or thing, you cannot like both. I like all sorts of BBQ sauces as well, and happily try local favorites wherever I go.

Columbus has lots of great German restaurants, Cincinnati has a few, but less. And many of the old Cincinnati breweries have been reborn, with original recipes in some cases. Cincinnati originally had a thriving brewery district.
Ah I have had the Cincinnati Chili, a woman brought some to a party I hosted. She is studying at the IU school of music and often takes part when my local group evaluates tubes or equipment. I liked it it as I recall along with some fine craft beers friends recommended. :L3000: Some of the locals here add spagetti or macaroni to chili but that is not my style on what you call Western Chili. The full term is probably chili con carne with beans.

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #79,205 of 150,695

Man that looks good! Mustard, even. :smile:

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #79,206 of 150,695
Man that looks good! Mustard, even. :smile:
They are wonderful, if I had not just had a Cubano I would consider getting one myself lol. Mustard on the Cubano of course as well. Just a beer though, later I may be getting a pottery lesson, I want to try to make ceramic headphone stands, something heavy that Finnegan cannot knock over. :pouting_cat: :pouting_cat:

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #79,207 of 150,695
Any Ohio food specialties? I am over there on occasion to buy audio equipment and in past years for card or chess tournaments.
Cincinnati native here. As mentioned previously, Cincinnati chili is worthwhile in both spaghetti and chili dog forms - I have to drive a bit north of Dayton to get it fresh now - and goetta is a great pick. To add to that list, I'd recommend trying buckeyes (a peanut butter and chocolate confection, not the toxic nut), Frisch's Big Boy (a Cincinnati take on the traditional Big Boy sandwich), and fresh Graeter's or United Dairy Farmers ice creams and shakes. Most of these can be found throughout Southwest and Central Ohio, and some can be found statewide.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #79,208 of 150,695
Cincinnati native here. As mentioned previously, Cincinnati chili is worthwhile in both spaghetti and chili dog forms - I have to drive a bit north of Dayton to get it fresh now - and goetta is a great pick. To add to that list, I'd recommend trying buckeyes (a peanut butter and chocolate confection, not the toxic nut), Frisch's Big Boy (a Cincinnati take on the traditional Big Boy sandwich), and fresh Graeter's or United Dairy Farmers ice creams and shakes. Most of these can be found throughout Southwest and Central Ohio, and some can be found statewide.
Those are all great foods to try in the greater Cincinnati area. Our chili has spread as far north as Bowling Green, Ohio and as far East as Jackson, Ohio, I am told. When Cincinnatians go on vacation for a week or more the first thing we must do on arrival home is find a chili parlor. Frisch's actually makes fine pork tenderloin sandwiches, but they are not as large as those you can find in Indiana.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #79,209 of 150,695
My home town in central Illinois had a large Italian population so my tastes were greatly influenced by some of their fare. Chicken and veal piccata especially.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #79,211 of 150,695
Since @AxelCloris is in Michigan we should discuss Tony Packo's Hungarian food, in the Toledo environs. When I am close I search it out.
I took my family to the Toledo Zoo and made Tony Packo's a must stop. Actually went to BOTH locations because the one by Fifth Third Field closed like 20 minutes before we got there.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #79,212 of 150,695
Those are all great foods to try in the greater Cincinnati area. Our chili has spread as far north as Bowling Green, Ohio and as far East as Jackson, Ohio, I am told. When Cincinnatians go on vacation for a week or more the first thing we must do on arrival home is find a chili parlor. Frisch's actually makes fine pork tenderloin sandwiches, but they are not as large as those you can find in Indiana.
Fun fact: Skyline can be found in OH, KY, IN, and FL, because that's just South Ohio, right? I have a friend who grew up in my neighborhood, who now lives near Tampa, and can get Skyline across the bridge in Clearwater while I have to drive 2 hours to get it outside of a can. The pain.

My home town in central Illinois had a large Italian population so my tastes were greatly influenced by some of their fare. Chicken and veal piccata especially.
It's lunch time, and that sounds incredible right now.

Since @AxelCloris is in Michigan we should discuss Tony Packo's Hungarian food, in the Toledo environs. When I am close I search it out.
I've lived in the greater metro Detroit since 2016, but honestly I'm still a newbie to the area. So many things I haven't yet experienced around here. I'll have to look into Tony Packo's.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #79,213 of 150,695
...something heavy that Finnegan cannot knock over. :pouting_cat: :pouting_cat:
Better not let Finnegan know said that otherwise he'll be thinking "challenge accepted."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back