Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 9, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #79,216 of 150,704
Time to add a little bit of noise to the sine wave...

Yesterday I had my hearing checked. Not because of anything major or a requirement, but because I've been noticing a difference between my right and left ears, and I've been lately changing the balance setting on my amp. For reference, I've been feeling that my hearing has been somewhat attenuated on the left compared to the right, and the balance control has been accommodating that. So, the audiologist found my hearing to be perfectly within the norm albeit with scar tissue from the numerous ear infections I got with most every cold as a kid and the high frequency loss to be expected in someone of my 56 years of age. Regarding the asymmetric hearing, I was informed of the "Right Ear Advantage". If you haven't heard of this, it's essentially that the auditory center in your brain is in the left side. Since your nerves are cross-wired, your left ear is connected to the left side of your brain, closer to the auditory center. Your left ear is connected to the right side of your brain and the signals have to travel further to reach the auditory center. As you get older this discrepancy becomes more pronounced and your hearing becomes more attenuated on the left.

We now return to our regular programming...

Jul 9, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #79,217 of 150,704

Yesterday I had my hearing checked. Not because of anything major or a requirement, but because I've been noticing a difference between my right and left ears, and I've been lately changing the balance setting on my amp. For reference, I've been feeling that my hearing has been somewhat attenuated on the left compared to the right, and the balance control has been accommodating that. So, the audiologist found my hearing to be perfectly within the norm albeit with scar tissue from the numerous ear infections I got with most every cold as a kid and the high frequency loss to be expected in someone of my 56 years of age. Regarding the asymmetric hearing, I was informed of the "Right Ear Advantage". If you haven't heard of this, it's essentially that the auditory center in your brain is in the left side. Since your nerves are cross-wired, your left ear is connected to the left side of your brain, closer to the auditory center. Your left ear is connected to the right side of your brain and the signals have to travel further to reach the auditory center. As you get older this discrepancy becomes more pronounced and your hearing becomes more attenuated on the left.

That actually explains why I'm experiencing the same issues. 56 and cross-wired brain...
But you are right , it is getting quite noticeable.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Jul 9, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #79,219 of 150,704

That is one of the reasons I like separate volume controls for left and right channel on my personal headphone and power amps. 😀

Jul 9, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #79,221 of 150,704
That is one of the reasons I like separate volume controls for left and right channel on my personal headphone and power amps. 😀
Absolutely, I'm surprised most equipment doesn't come with a quality balance control, single, ganged, or 2 separate volume controls. I don't think this is new found knowledge yet equipment designers for the most part seem not to take it into consideration when designing, or, I suppose its done in the name of purity of the signal path. But that multiples of $1,,000.00 "Argle Bargle" preamp or integrated most likely ain't gonna be bought by youngsters with bat-like hearing that has no issues.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #79,222 of 150,704
01DEFFA0-CFDD-411C-9A2E-CA291FE3F0F5.jpeg

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #79,223 of 150,704
Jul 9, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #79,226 of 150,704
Absolutely, I'm surprised most equipment doesn't come with a quality balance control, single, ganged, or 2 separate volume controls. I don't think this is new found knowledge yet equipment designers for the most part seem not to take it into consideration when designing, or, I suppose its done in the name of purity of the signal path. But that multiples of $1,,000.00 "Argle Bargle" preamp or integrated most likely ain't gonna be bought by youngsters with bat-like hearing that has no issues.
Which is the main reason I kept and still use my old Fido EO7K amp for portable use. One of the few pieces of equipment I have with a balance control.

Jul 9, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #79,227 of 150,704
@Jason Stoddard
If Sol does go away what will that mean for replacement parts and extra tonearms? I recently had to get a new platter because of platter wobble and I’d like to get a couple extra tonearms. The hotswapping tonearms was one of Sol’s big selling points.

I’d event be willing to buy a tonearm at normal price without wire and wire it myself if that makes the process easier.

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #79,228 of 150,704
I've recently inquired about buying spare tonearms and other parts. I was told nothing is available. I really hope they will continue to sell the Sol in small batches when they are available. Scarcity increases desirability.

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #79,229 of 150,704
14 varieties of Mustard!!?? Welcome to yet another affliction -- Mustard Rolling! :D

Mustards are one of my COVID indulgences. But I'm down to just 6 varieties, because we're about to move, and we're trying to reduce the inventory of cold stuff that will need to go.

It's kinda tough when you want to make a sandwich, and there's so few choices on condiments. But I'm dealing with it. (Where's that emoticon of the tiny violin?)

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #79,230 of 150,704
Cincinnati Chili is a personal favorite. Sadly I've only had it once outside of my last visit to OH, a now gone local eatery used to serve it on occasion since the owner's husband was from there. Trying to explain spaghetti chili to someone who's never had it is a lost cause though.

Mustard - there are probably 8 or 9 different varieties in my fridge at the moment. The right mustard can make or break a sandwich.
Wine - all yours, folks. Sulfites and me don't get along, one of several migraine triggers.
Scotch - really not my thing. Not very big on whiskey in general, though once in a great while it's OK.
Beer - You have my attention. Craft brews, love the variety. Though I still have to be careful as some adjuncts will trigger a migraine. We have a separate full size beer fridge in the basement.
Cannabis - NOW you SERIOUSLY have my attention! I have at least a dozen or more strains in the current collection. The bonus is that edibles are the best way for me to manage my migraines. And my sleep issues due to a TBI a few years back. Helps that I'm a very high level functioning stoner (no pun intended).

There, that should about cover the last 6 pages or so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back