Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 2, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #77,657 of 150,080
Jun 2, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #77,658 of 150,080
No Wombat love?
images
A face that only its mother can love... :wink:

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #77,660 of 150,080
After watching this MQA debunked videos I feel I’ve been cheated by Tidal. Hopefully Apple Music gives justice to lossless
They’ll probably go with their ALAC format which as I understand it is akin to FLAC, but Apple-fied.

I feel more interested in Qobuz myself, because it’s possible to buy the albums there, in lossless, not only stream them, and I like owning my music (I’m just old-fashioned I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

That said, I was thinking of getting Tidal (even if it’s streaming only) before getting wiser on MQA. Nothing wrong with streaming lossless, it’s just that MQA isn’t. :relaxed:

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #77,662 of 150,080
It's been several weeks but I got a Fulla! I ordered when it was still Fulla 3 but got upgraded to a Fulla 4! At first I thought it was DOA because there's no internal or external light. But I checked my sound settings and it was there. Sounds pretty good too. The mic input is so much better than what I had before.
IMG_0275.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #77,665 of 150,080
They’ll probably go with their ALAC format which as I understand it is akin to FLAC, but Apple-fied.

I feel more interested in Qobuz myself, because it’s possible to buy the albums there, in lossless, not only stream them, and I like owning my music (I’m just old-fashioned I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

That said, I was thinking of getting Tidal (even if it’s streaming only) before getting wiser on MQA. Nothing wrong with streaming lossless, it’s just that MQA isn’t. :relaxed:
Nothing wrong with ALAC. It's similar to FLAC and open source as well.

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #77,666 of 150,080
Capture.JPG

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #77,667 of 150,080

What was the need to develop it then? FLAC alone would have done.

EDIT: just read the Wikipedia entry; it used to be a proprietary format. Even now Apple isn’t supporting FLAC in their applications. Hubris at its finest—an art Apple have mastered to perfection.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #77,668 of 150,080
I saw. Like the approach of the guy. Well behaved and addressing relevant points with respect. I foresee that MQA shall RiP sooner or later. MQA does not make sense with current bandwidths and even if it is true what they sell, it complicates the whole pipeline more than giving improvements.
I agree @Derrick Swart. He presented calm, well-argued, rebuttals of MQA's many misleading claims.
The death of MQA and TIDAL can't come soon enough for me.:relaxed:
I also enjoyed both Mark Waldrep and Neil Young's demolition of the BS from these two companies.
https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=7218

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #77,669 of 150,080
Jun 2, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #77,670 of 150,080
You have probably just stirred up a hornets' nest @Roy G. Biv :relaxed:
I agree that there's nothing wrong with ALAC.
However, there are plenty of 'experts', including some snake oil Hi Fi retailers, who claim that it is not as good as FLAC, or WAV.
One such clown, said that my streamer would never sound very good, as I was using ALAC files which are inferior to FLAC.
That was the last time I listened to a Hi Fi retailer.
Lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back