Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 1, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #77,626 of 148,516
re: Mach E not being a "real" mustang. I could not give two schiits. Ford calls it a Mustang but I would have still bought it if they had called it a Gopher.

Jun 1, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #77,627 of 148,516
You know that blissful moment in which you own all the equipment you wanted and listen to music unmarred by the desire for more?

3 years after picking this hobby back up, that's where I'm finally at. O frabjous day, callooh callay!

Nearing that point. I have a pair of Verite C’s on order, which I hopefully receive by the end of this month. After that my headphone rig should be good to go. Then I just need an amp to hook up my LS50s into the mix, and maybe upgrade my two channel rig at some point in the future.

Jun 1, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #77,628 of 148,516
I would have still bought it if they had called it a Gopher.

"Hey, honey. I'm gonna Gopher some pizza. I'll be back in a bit". :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #77,629 of 148,516
Hel 2:
Can I use this as just a DAC?
Yep! Just put it in low gain and turn it all the way up. Plug into the line out on the back panel and you’re set.

That means 2V out?

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #77,630 of 148,516
re: Mach E not being a "real" mustang. I could not give two schiits. Ford calls it a Mustang but I would have still bought it if they had called it a Gopher.
Well if you change your mind and feel like giving two Schiits, I'll take a Modius and a Magnius, both in black please. :beerchug:
And I hope you enjoy your new car when it finally gets to you! My brother has long wanted a Tesla but gets kinda happily by with his hybrid! :thumbsup:

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #77,632 of 148,516
You know that blissful moment in which you own all the equipment you wanted and listen to music unmarred by the desire for more?
I had that blissful experience for a few years. It was wonderful, glorious even!

Then gear started malfunctioning, sometimes releasing the magic smoke! Actual smoke!

Yes, it was tubed gear. How did you know?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #77,633 of 148,516
Total non-sequitur—does anybody else use cross-feed with their headphones?

If not, why? If yes, also why? :)
No. If the track was supposed to be mono, it would be in mono.

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #77,635 of 148,516
But that's not what cross-feed does. When you listen to a stereo track on speakers, you hear both speakers with both ears. Granted, you could say "headphones aren't speakers" that's a fair argument as far as I'm concerned.
OK let me rephrase. No. just no.

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #77,636 of 148,516
No for me. Tried it and it seemed to collapse the soundstage a bit. The Arya HPs already do an excellent job with imaging and soundstage. Crossfeed may prove useful w/ HPs that have a 'hole-in-the-middle' soundstage, but my cans do just fine and really need no help. Plus, I have a speaker rig. :D

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #77,637 of 148,516
horowitz-mozart-1of3.jpg
If you'd like to give your 2nd tier kit a workout, try this album. (FLAC) My Foobar >>> EITR >>> ModiMB >>> Magni 3 >>>Senheisser cans. I've been binge listening to my man Horowitz... and this Mozart here has too many notes. Damn! Dem 1987 West Germans knew how to do a studio recording. :)

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #77,638 of 148,516

I believe my first amp from HeadRoom had a cross-feed built into it by Tyll Hertsens. I don't recall noticing much if any difference but I think it was intended to help reduce headphone induced "listening fatigue". I may have that little amp somewhere around here!

I think the early recordings in stereo also had to contain a bit of both tracks within them else wise they would be incompatible with the monophonic record players of the day and then who would buy it in stereo if they could not yet afford a stereo player? I recall having many records that stated on the front something like "Compatible With Monofonic Players".

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #77,639 of 148,516

Yes, and with headphones and speakers. Some of the early stereo recordings have the sound hard-panned to one or both channels and it just doesn't sound natural to me. For instance, there's a version of ZZ Top's Brown Sugar on Qobuz that has the guitar hard panned to the left channel and Billy Gibbon's voice hard panned to the right. It just doesn't sound right to me.

I know, I know... I'm not listening the way that the artist intended. Or am I? Was the decision to hard pan the engineer's/producer's choice or the artist? I can tell you that there's another version of the same song on Qobuz that reverses the channels so who knows what the original intention was.

I like it better with cross-feed. I sometimes also play at volumes both louder and quieter than what was intended so there's that.

edit: I have ripped a handful of stereo CDs to mono for the same reason. To me, some albums just sound better that way. Keep in mind that some Beatles albums were released in mono and stereo so I'm not really charting new territory here.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #77,640 of 148,516
Can’t wait for you to change the lettering. :ksc75smile:

There was also a rally version at the Amelia Island concours that could be scary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back