Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #77,176 of 150,736
I'm sorry you are disappointed, but sending Freya in for repair would not take weeks or months. Our typical service turnaround is one business day. We receive packages every week for international service, including from our distributors. We have made a specific point to have a distributor liaison to ensure we are at least providing a high level of service, even in these times of supply chain disruption and backorders. If you are having problems with a distributor with respect to service, you should email jen@schiit.com and let her know, so we can take it up with them (stocking issues are different--distributors have very little stock, but she is communicating with distributors as to what we have and what we can ship).

With respect to customer service not giving out part numbers, you should know they have no visibility into the BOM or manufacturing specs of any product--they are there to resolve operational issues, help solve tech problems, and replace or service problematic products. They are absolutely doing their job when they said, "No problem, we can fix it, you just need to send it back to us, and here's how you get an RA."

We strongly prefer to do our own repairs on something as complex as Freya, especially the original version with individual LEDs, but if you have confidence in who you are using, you can use a 16mm Alps 10K linear one-gang potentiometer such as the RK1631110U1Q, or any near equivalent. FWIW, Freya+ uses a custom motorized potentiometer for which there is no equivalent shelf part.
Thanks Jason.

I didn’t want to insinuate your CS people are not doing their job. If that’s what came across, I’m sorry for that. My suggestion was merely that some Level 2 support and documentation for non-proprietary Schiit would be awesome, and it could probably take some pressure away from your CS department and the distributors.

The weeks or months is my estimation of total turnaround, including shipping. Germany - California and back will certainly not be anywhere near overnight, unless it’s very very expensive. International shipping being what it is at the moment, it also seems rather dicey.

I have the highest confidence in my repair guy. He’s a certified master TV and audio technician (it’s a regulated vocation here in Germany). If you’ve watched international sports events out of Germany in the last years, the signal you got went through equipment he maintains. He does a bit of custom Hifi and repairs on the side. I’m positive he’s capable and equipped for the job.

Thank you very much for the part info. It’s exactly what I needed.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #77,177 of 150,736
Why mention the POS MQA here..... it's obviously a complete sham...which Schiit is obviously not? I don't even know how ANYONE buys PS Audio gear....What a joke!
I won't lie, @LarryMagoo , I've been tempted to buy some PS kit to see what it's all about. They're a luxury item (like Schiit kit). I also like PS Audio's asthetics. Man cannot live on brushed aluminum, sharp corners, self-adhesive-rubber-feet-that-occassionally-fall-off, teeny-tiny-volume-knobs-that-I-yank-off-and-replace-with-microscope(weighted)-knobs, and clicky-clack-rear-facing-power-switches alone! :ksc75smile:

May 23, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #77,178 of 150,736
I SO need to visit the PNW again. It's been about 25 years since I was there.

Actually what I really need to do is fly into LAX (yeah, I know), rent a nice car, visit the Schitter, then go for a long, long drive up the Pacific Coast. Venture inland when I go through Oregon. Wanna get back to Seattle, too. Maybe even visit Vancouver.
If you drive from CA to Seattle you almost certainly will visit Vancouver........

May 23, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #77,179 of 150,736
I'm not sure you can do usb audio out on the Xbox 1. It would be amazing if I'm wrong about that though.
Good point, @S0undJunk1e . I started out in this ridiculous hobby plugging in a Turtle Beach EarForce DSS2 via my console's TOSlink (audio output). That little beastie was powered by a USB cable attached to my XBox. I was very happy with the audio quality at the time (with my headphones on, playing The Witcher 3 was a terrifying experience [them Poles know how to make a kick-ass soundtrack/soundscape]).
Now I have a cheap Amazon Basics TOSlink snaked from my listening nook's DAC (Bifrost Mutibit), under the sofa, under the throw rug, and tucked in behind my chewed up IKEA media cabinet, and plugged into my XBox (suprisingly, I haven't detected any weird audio artifacts [~12 ft of optical cable]).

May 23, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #77,180 of 150,736
Treehouse is fantastic! I LOVE their beers. Even the odd ones. And yeah, they have some serious fans. Wait in a line of cars to get to the pickup area kind of fans. The legend is justified.
You folks need to get thee sens to Yorkshire and drink (edit, not drive. One doesn't drink and drive) Theakston's Old Peculiar. Now there's a beer that doesn't travel well........

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #77,181 of 150,736
I'm currently on a free trial that runs to mid-July. This definitely increases the probability of me continuing on with the service after they cut it down by $5 per month. In Canada, Tidal and Amazon are currently the only game in town for lossless streaming.
We're getting hosed, @singlestack .:triportsad: :flag_ca: :angry:

May 23, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #77,182 of 150,736
So was it called "Berrick" or "Ber-wick" ... constant discussions here in Aus about some of these English pronunciations.
We bought a house in Berwick (suburb of Melbourne) and called it Berrick, with a silent W, as it should be by my understanding.
Where we live now, there is Creswick. The locals call it Cres-wick, I call it Cresick much to their amusement
Well there's the problem. Non of you colonials REALLY speak English.......

I can't really grouse: 15 packs of Tim Tams (I never realized that there were varieties) arrived this week form my son in Adelaide. Addressed to Ms Jody, not me, apparently because, and I quote, "a GRINCH ate the entire Xmas packet".

Hmmmmmm.

May 23, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #77,183 of 150,736
If you drive from CA to Seattle you almost certainly will visit Vancouver........
Only if he takes the LONG way around... Vancouver being 150 miles north of Seattle... unless you do not mean California and are using CA to mean Canada... :)

May 23, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #77,184 of 150,736
I'd like to propose a mini-Thunderdome, because the fine folks at Schiit don't have enough to do (and where's that Irony emoji when you need it?) When the next amp comes out, offer it with or without VU meters. Let us vote with our wallets. Kinda amusing that the mere mention of such meters causes some to practically foam at the mouth. Are VU meters useful? Open question. Are they fun? You betcha! Maybe some people just can't bear to think of others having fun with audio...

May 23, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #77,185 of 150,736
Well there's the problem. Non of you colonials REALLY speak English.......

I can't really grouse: 15 packs of Tim Tams (I never realized that there were varieties) arrived this week form my son in Adelaide. Addressed to Ms Jody, not me, apparently because, and I quote, "a GRINCH ate the entire Xmas packet".

Hmmmmmm.
Violet Crumble is my jam.

May 23, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #77,186 of 150,736
Only if he takes the LONG way around... Vancouver being 150 miles north of Seattle... unless you do not mean California and are using CA to mean Canada... :)
I knew someone would bite :wink:

Driving N on I5 from Portland, OR, one crosses the Columbia river and you are in ......... Vancouver, WA.

May 23, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #77,187 of 150,736
I was figuring Vancouver, WA - on I-5 just across the border/Columbia from Portland.

May 23, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #77,188 of 150,736
Now. Let's get back to VU meters.

:k701smile:
JC
AND WHEN WILL SCHIIT AUDIO LIMITED GIVE US WHAT (the royal) WE SHRILLY WANT... VEE YEW METRES (SPELL IT RIGHT, EH). :ksc75smile:

May 23, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #77,189 of 150,736
I'd like to propose a mini-Thunderdome, because the fine folks at Schiit don't have enough to do (and where's that Irony emoji when you need it?) When the next amp comes out, offer it with or without VU meters. Let us vote with our wallets. Kinda amusing that the mere mention of such meters causes some to practically foam at the mouth. Are VU meters useful? Open question. Are they fun? You betcha! Maybe some people just can't bear to think of others having fun with audio...
You talk as if such things are cost-neutral. A Vidar costs what, $699? I'll guess that the cost of a Vidar with stereo VU meters added, and of course in a new larger chassis to house them, would be at least $999. So is it worth 40% more for bouncy dials and otherwise the same performance?

May 23, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #77,190 of 150,736
I knew someone would bite :wink:

Driving N on I5 from Portland, OR, one crosses the Columbia river and you are in ......... Vancouver, WA.
The lesser Vancouver...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back