Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 21, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #77,086 of 150,704
Ah, IPAs. A Vermont craft beer specialty. And there are so many great ones to choose from. But a woman can't live on IPAs alone. I'm also a big fan of craft brew porters and stouts. As well as the red and brown ales. I'm also a big fan of session ales - that way I can have more than one or two in an evening without paying for it the next day. So many craft brews are of the "one and done" alcohol level.

We have a LOT of craft breweries up here in New England. Last road trip my wife and I visited 5 craft breweries on one overnight trip.
I love discovering small craft brewers and sampling their wares. I have a phone app called Untappd that finds them for me. On a whim I searched from my house and found one I didn't know was there within walking distance. Walking distance is good for those 12% Scotch Ales, and when it's 118 out I can sweat it out by the time I get home...

May 21, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #77,087 of 150,704

Few years old but this reviewer had D/S and upgraded to Multi-bit. Hope it helps.

Thanks for that link. It helped some, but the reviewer only addressed about half of my "information wanted" list. I wonder how he failed to anticipate me needs? Still, he seemed to confirm some of what I like about the Gungnir DS won't be changed my the MB upgrade. That is good news.

May 21, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #77,088 of 150,704
My problem with IPA is the same as @Ableza's comment: all I taste now is bitter. It's similar to the pepper craze after people found out habanero is hotter than jalapeno. Then the capsaicin arms race was on. I started ignoring anything which had peppers in it because I could count on not finding any flavor, just heat. I started feeling the same about IPA a few years ago. I used to really like Dogfish Head (when I could find it here), but it seems now they only offer IPA variants and a couple of flavored beers (OK, I just looked and their stout has me curious, I wonder if I can find it).

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #77,090 of 150,704
Ah, IPAs. A Vermont craft beer specialty. And there are so many great ones to choose from. But a woman can't live on IPAs alone. I'm also a big fan of craft brew porters and stouts. As well as the red and brown ales. I'm also a big fan of session ales - that way I can have more than one or two in an evening without paying for it the next day. So many craft brews are of the "one and done" alcohol level.

We have a LOT of craft breweries up here in New England. Last road trip my wife and I visited 5 craft breweries on one overnight trip.
If you are ever in the Pacific Northwest, check out Bill's Tavern in Cannon Beach Oregon. They make a nice selection of IPA's, Ales, and a very tasty 2x4 Stout Porter. It's one of those towns, that's totally locally owned shops, restaurants, galleries - NO chain stores... Dog friendly, very laid back

May 21, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #77,091 of 150,704
@ImagesbyMurray how is your speaker cable experiment going?
Going well! Here are installed cables; I made up 4 to bi-wire the sigs.... Had I do it over again, I would have order straight + 45 degree spades. Would have made termination behind the Vidars a bit cleaner. No discernable difference between these and the Symo's (so how DO you A/B speaker cables - lol) - they'll go onto Audiomart soon.....

IMG_2111.jpg
IMG_2104.jpg
IMG_2110.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #77,092 of 150,704
If you are ever in the Pacific Northwest, check out Bill's Tavern in Cannon Beach Oregon. They make a nice selection of IPA's, Ales, and a very tasty 2x4 Stout Porter. It's one of those towns, that's totally locally owned shops, restaurants, galleries - NO chain stores... Dog friendly, very laid back
That whole stretch is nice from Tillamook up through Astoria. Add in Camp 18 (one of those wows with the size logs used to build it, I don't remember the food wowing) as you drive through the mountains and the area is great from an outside the city perspective.

May 21, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #77,093 of 150,704
I SO need to visit the PNW again. It's been about 25 years since I was there.

Actually what I really need to do is fly into LAX (yeah, I know), rent a nice car, visit the Schitter, then go for a long, long drive up the Pacific Coast. Venture inland when I go through Oregon. Wanna get back to Seattle, too. Maybe even visit Vancouver.

May 21, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #77,094 of 150,704
May 21, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #77,096 of 150,704
Well.... I've LIKEed your post even though I hate it :frowning2: A sad day for Lagunitus and for Newcastle Brown Ale. It's apparently targeted at the US market and the rest of the world will get the original. I assume it's not re-labeled and therefore uninformed consumers (or recently uninformed consumers) wouldn't know they were not actually drinking a Newcastle Brown Ale.

Newcastle Brown Ale has always been the defining exemplar for a brown ale. No longer true in the US anyway :frowning2:
But IMHO, Newcastle never travelled well. Just wasn’t the same here in the states. I worked a spell in Berwick-upon-Tweed, and thr fresh Newcasrle was a delight! And don’t knock it, I rather liked Berwick!

May 21, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #77,097 of 150,704
May 21, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #77,098 of 150,704
I recommend that anyone tired of all the IPA madness but who wants a full body beer without going all the way to stout should look for red ales, especially Scottish ales.
I always have Smithwick’s around, too, though Irish…

May 21, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #77,099 of 150,704
I love discovering small craft brewers and sampling their wares. I have a phone app called Untappd that finds them for me. On a whim I searched from my house and found one I didn't know was there within walking distance. Walking distance is good for those 12% Scotch Ales, and when it's 118 out I can sweat it out by the time I get home...
my daughter (at school in New Have ), turned me on to Treehouse in Sturbridge MA. Apparently it’s some sort of Western Mass legend. They don’t ship, it’s this pickup thing at the brewery, and do NOT get between a fan and their Treehouse! But they make some really interesting beer! Part of the fun!

May 21, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #77,100 of 150,704
I'm not maligning, I drink IPAs as well. But they're not the end-all be-all of beer, and the madness is making them bigger and stronger with not enough attention to balance. I say don't limit yourself. Drinking nothing by IPA is like listening to nothing but Justin Bieber. A little Bieber now and then might be fine, but too much and you will want to poke sharp pencils through your eardrums. :)
You lost me at Bieber! But I do agree there are some great beers out there. But I do love the bitter stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back