Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 9, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #7,652 of 149,273
Ah, now you're just playing to the crowd's sympathies. 
wink.gif

Love Ur thoughts,

Back atcha.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #7,653 of 149,273
The pursuit of perfections is critical for many, just not me! 

Amen...could be (and often was) happy listening to Van Morrison, ELP, Clapton, etc. on a transistor radio -- couple beers and a Frisbee in the park.

All these last few years I'd felt that DACs would sound like Phono Cartridges. I kept looking for that Koetsu sound.  
But, DACs will probably never deliver the thrills that my Koetsu collection delivered, they don't need to. My CD collection and modest playback gear already outperforms my best Analog systems.  

Tony...I enjoy your posts including the references to many pieces equipment I used to own as well a few decades ago. Haven't thought about my MC cartridge collection in years!

My valid is that I'm a happy camper.  It's been a great Summer Season for me.  I understand my own hearing, I understand Eq., I finally have a satisfied feeling about DACs ( I'm putting that one to bed ) and I realize now that I love the Sennheiser Voice.  

Schiit & Sennheiser own me.  I still love my little Odac though, I hope I can be forgiven for that indiscretion.  

A TRUE Sennheiser fanatic would change their Avatar! :wink:

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #7,656 of 149,273

Mr. jacal, 

I'll have to be careful round you, you're too perceptive for my own good. 

Plus, I'd love some sympathy, where-ever I can find it, I mostly get poked with sharp pencils followed by laughter. 

I'm such a martyr and intensely proud of my great modesties.

My Boss say's I'm the "Patron Saint of Mediocrity", she saw that in the Mozart movie and uses that phrase to entertain my Peers. 

I'm in one hell of a good mood today : I just got a Bonus Check in the Mail which my Wife doesn't know about, yet and my Favorite Soup in on Sale at Kroger.   Phew, I'm on an emotional roll!

Tony in Michigan

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #7,657 of 149,273

Hello Mr. GearMe,

I don't quite know how to change that little image or what to put up.  Jude chose the darn thing and I don't quite know what it is, I'll have to enlarge it and have a better look.

Do you have any suggestions? 

Tony in Michigan

ps. Geez, is that a Grado?

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #7,658 of 149,273
Mr. t-
Yer funny.  My whine is nobody listens to me.  Even my granddaughters are learning to ignore me, and I had them enthralled there for a while.

Favorite soup, eh?  Can you get Vietnamese pho up there in your neck of the woods?  That'll damn sure elevate your mood if so.  And bonus checks are for yggys. 
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #7,661 of 149,273
Hello Mr. GearMe,

I don't quite know how to change that little image or what to put up.  Jude chose the darn thing and I don't quite know what it is, I'll have to enlarge it and have a better look.

Do you have any suggestions? 

Tony in Michigan

ps. Geez, is that a Grado?

Yep...it's a Grado.

Maybe you could have...

Or possibly this...

Just need to go into your profile, click 'replace Avatar', then upload an image from your computer.

I switched mine to the HD600s just now. Of course, the HD414s will have to return as they were my first headphones!

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #7,662 of 149,273
  Hell, I can summarize our subjective listening test regime in a few bullet points:

• We build a prototype.
  • If I built it, I listen to it. If Mike or Dave built it, they listen to it.
  • The person who built it tweaks it a bit, with the help of instrumented measurements too.
  • When we’re happy, we pass it off to each other for a listen. We don’t say anything about how we think it sounds.  (Yes, I know, the subjectivists are sighing, thinking, ‘nonverbal cues, blah blah, woof woof.)
    • As an alternative, we will pass off several different versions of the prototype to each other, with each product simply marked with “X,”, “Y”, or “Z,” or with a switch on the board that engages different modes.
  • We’ll see what each other thinks, make a few tweaks, and repeat.
  • When we’ve all agreed it’s ready to be heard, we have a small panel of trusted listeners that let us know what they think. This may or may not result in more tweaks.
  • When our small circle of trusted listeners think it’s good to go, it goes into production.

And yes, it’s that simple. No ABX, no automated/robotized tests, no blindfolds. Remember, this is subjective testing. Not objective.

I was hoping for some insight into what you listen for.  Like extended reverb or not, etc.

And I don't want to be on your listening panel but I'd love to be in your beta test group!

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #7,663 of 149,273

Mr. GearMe.

Thanks for being helpful.

I'll probably have my IT guy take a shot at doing this, I'll first need to consider the image.  

I'll look at some CD album covers for ideas.

Tony in Michigan

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #7,665 of 149,273
Mr.Jacal on Soups,

I've never known any SouthEast Asian soups or spices.

I'll look

I'm buy'in up Campbell's Chunky, .99cents, 18oz.   I'll stash 150 to 200 , 10 to 15 Varieties.  I use em like Chicken Broth, as a base for the Soups I create, never a repeat, all fresh spices and little add bits like Shrimp, Smoked Chubs, Nuts, veggies.   

My wife is a Minister, her people have Weddings, Funerals, picnics, Graduations, etc.   I make a kettle of Soup, they gobble it up, never a drop left over.   

I'm not a Soup Nazi though, I'm happy to make for someone's private dinner guests, it keeps me in good graces, I'd be just another ******* husband otherwise. My wife appreciates my efforts.  I still catch hell for smoking stinky stuff in the Garage.  

I've been married for 5 decades and I still catch hell for being me!

Go figure,

Tony in Michigan

ps. thanks for mentioning that Viet cooking, hmm, another something to look foreword to! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back