Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 7, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #7,621 of 150,436
  "defect"??  LOL!!

Indeed, how does one differentiate between a "defect" and a more accurate rendering of the source recording? Maybe the big soundstage is an exaggeration by the DAC.

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #7,622 of 150,436

Mis-Tah ZabZaf, 

I saw the announcement for the 19th in Pleasant Ridge. 

Can't tell, just now.

I saw that you popped for the Multi-bit.  You'll be the Big Dog.  

Is Jude...? 

I'd like to see the Abarthman, again.  

Definate Maybe from :

Tony in Michigan

Mr. tonykaz,

As always, I hope you and the Dr. can make the meet. It wouldn't be the same with you. We're hoping Jude can make it but as we know, he's a busy man. Abarthman and I have been in communications and I should know soon about his attendance. If he is able to, he will be there.

See you soon!

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #7,624 of 150,436
Acting as dither...

Geez Mr. Jones Bob,

This is only an initial impression.  

At our end, disconnected as we are, we might be reading too much into this.

These guys are seeing "tiny runs in the stockings", at first glance.

We're seeing a comparison between two boxes of parts, one 5 or 6 times more expensive than the other.

I'm trying to figure out if I need the Yggy's performance level.

Just how much better is it than the ODac?

Does the Yggy "Move the Needle" $2,500 worth?

Which would you buy : the HD800s or the Yggy?

Tony in Michigan 

ps.  or both

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #7,625 of 150,436

Indeed, how does one differentiate between a "defect" and a more accurate rendering of the source recording? Maybe the big soundstage is an exaggeration by the DAC.

He was comparing master recordings for which he was the engineer: he had digitized some tapes into 176.2kHz and was listening to that through the Yggy. Bob is a very thorough and experienced mastering engineer: I would take what he says very seriously.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #7,626 of 150,436
Acting as dither...

Geez Mr. Jones Bob,

This is only an initial impression.  

At our end, disconnected as we are, we might be reading too much into this.

These guys are seeing "tiny runs in the stockings", at first glance.

We're seeing a comparison between two boxes of parts, one 5 or 6 times more expensive than the other.

Which would you buy : the HD800s or the Yggy?

Tony in Michigan 

ps.  or both

OK, no more speculating from me. :D

I bought a Yggy. You couldn't give me a HD800. :)

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #7,627 of 150,436

Mr. Jones again,

kerpow, yur a Stax Guy.  I looked at your impressive list of Sold gear. Phew.  You are totally into headphones, the best of the best.

Way outa my minor league.

No point asking about the Odac,  oh-well.

Did you buy and sell all since around 2013? 

You've been on a rampage of buying. 

Yggy, Gilmore, Stax.   I genuflect and bless myself with H2O ( blended ).  

You're gear listing suggests that the Yggy is that good!,  I think I can trust you on that.  

Thanks for writing back. 

Tony in Michigan

ps.  I don't have an HD800 to give anyone, but I get the point.  

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #7,628 of 150,436
Dear Mr Kaz

Been into HiFi for decades. Bought my first rig in 1975.

Started into headphones in 2012 for the sake of my neighbors. Sure, bought and sold some equipment. Like to DIY as much as possible.

Yes, the Yggy is THAT GOOD. But just my opinion.

Cheers!

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #7,629 of 150,436

Hello again Mr.Jones,

I just had a quick look at some of your recent posts.

Wow, 

Kinda seems you are an Audeze Lemon Magnet. 

but then, 

Maybe everyone is but don't realize it. ( I've heard they have consistancy issues)

I just read "your" posts, but not what you were responding to.

Exciting stuff here, following two steps back would make quite a story.  

I hope you don't mind.

I'll not continue, I was just trying to understand where you are coming from.  

Tony In Michigan

ps.  not one negative about Schiit, maybe I didn't go back far enough , plus you don't seem to Rant !, a bit of sarcasm though, oh-well

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #7,630 of 150,436

The Gungnir Multibit (which uses the technology from Yggy) is said - by people who listen to many DACs - to be "90%" of the sound quality of the Yggy.

So, if $$ is any issue, get the Gungnir Multibit at half the price.

Or, like me, you can wait for the Bifrost Multibit.  (GUESS would be somewhere in $600-$900 range).

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #7,631 of 150,436
The Honorable Mr Kaz,

I liked the tone of the Audeze, but the company does not know how to manufacture a consistent product. My job is in NPI and don't want to mess with that in my spare time off.

BTW, you did not read far enough back. I was not too thrilled by the original Schiit Mjolnir. Compared it to having a meth tweeker as a roommate. Nothing but party, party, party, 24-7, no time to relax.

Gotta run. More sarcasm later. :D

Ciao

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #7,632 of 150,436
The Gungnir Multibit (which uses the technology from Yggy) is said - by people who listen to many DACs - to be "90%" of the sound quality of the Yggy.

Or, like me, you can wait for the Bifrost Multibit.  (GUESS would be somewhere in $600-$900 range).

I am listening to the Gungnir Multibit as we speak and I've had the opportunity to spend quality time with Yggy at two separate meets, in Ann Arbor and Chicago. I have an upgraded Gungnir that I owned for 8 months before he upgrade...

IMHO, I have read the 90% quote myself and feel that may be a bit too high. I know these things border on ridiculous to quantify. If I was to put a % correlation out there, 70% would be tops for me. The Yggy creates such a holographic soundstage and wonderful tonality it's hard for GMB to compete with it, because Yggy is that spectacular.

Do I like my GMB? Love it! YMMV.

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #7,633 of 150,436

ODAC?  There is no comparison at all.  Yggdrasil is perhaps the best DAC I've ever heard.  Certainly the best solid state DAC.  ODAC is a nice sounding entry-level DAC.  Yggdrasil is an end-game class DAC.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #7,634 of 150,436

I am listening to the Gungnir Multibit as we speak and I've had the opportunity to spend quality time with Yggy at two separate meets, in Ann Arbor and Chicago. I have an upgraded Gungnir that I owned for 8 months before he upgrade...

IMHO, I have read the 90% quote myself and feel that may be a bit too high. I know these things border on ridiculous to quantify. If I was to put a % correlation out there, 70% would be tops for me. The Yggy creates such a holographic soundstage and wonderful tonality it's hard for GMB to compete with it, because Yggy is that spectacular.

Do I like my GMB? Love it! YMMV.

So if you put Gungnir Multibit at 70% where would you put Gungnir without the Multibit ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back