Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 6, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #7,606 of 151,087
  @Jason Stoddard I know you've said on multiple occasions that Schiit isn't interested in electrostatic headphone amps because of their high voltages. But with the (semi) announcement of the new Sennheiser Orpehus, if one or more of the big headphone manufacturers got in to electrostatics would that be more persuasive to get Schiit in to electrostatic amps?

Just curious on your thoughts. Also, have any thoughts on a headphone manufacturer using one technology, electrostatic diaphragm, on their top lines, HE90 and HE60; but never bringing it down to their mainstream lines? I've always thought that must have been a huge R&D budget squandered. Kind of like if you didn't bring Yggy multi-bit or other features to Gungnir or Bifrost.  

Of course, if there's a significant demand, we'll meet it.

However, the introduction of one over-the-top motorized tube missile-silo/tombstone, clearly aimed at the 0.001% buyers--even by Sennheiser--hardly heralds a sea change towards electrostatic headphones. The reality is that electrostatic headphones will likely remain a specialty niche due to inherent production and environmental challenges (moisture, hair, diaphragm tensioning, exceeding maximum excursion, etc, etc. It takes a very dedicated manufacturer to go down that road for the long haul.

And this is not to say that stats don't sound wonderful, but I think they're a little too audiophilia nervosa for me. And that's a good subject for another chapter. When to say, "when."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 7, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #7,608 of 151,087

Demand

There are three part-time guys, out there, building Gilmore designs for the Stax stuff.  They assemble a batch of 10 at a time ( year ) and ( I suspect ) they've flooded the market.

I suppose it would be nice to say "built in Iceland" when talking. That gotta be worth sumptin. 

Anyway Bob Katz in up in Montana with our Tyll where the Yggy is Standing-Tall against all comers.

Tyll is doing the "Big Sound 2015" series, right now.  Schiit seems to be dominating.  Katz is pronouncing Schiit as ***** ( as it's pronounced in Ireland ).  

Tony in Michigan

ps.     Montana ( early-on ) results :
   Headphones staying in the top 5 :  Stax 009 & 007, HD800, HE1000, Audeze
        DACs on top :    Antelope & Yggy
        Amps on top :   No clear leaders 

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #7,609 of 151,087

Anyway Bob Katz in up in Montana with our Tyll where the Yggy is Standing-Tall against all comers.

Tyll is doing the "Big Sound 2015" series, right now.  Schiit seems to be dominating.  Katz is pronouncing Schiit as ***** ( as it's pronounced in Ireland ).  

Tony in Michigan

ps.     Montana ( early-on ) results :
   Headphones staying in the top 5 :  Stax 009 & 007, HD800, HE1000, Audeze
        DACs on top :    Antelope & Yggy
        Amps on top :   No clear leaders 

lol... I think the takeaway from their comparison was that r2r vs DS doesn't matter... not that the antelope & yggy were the best. sounded like they were saying that all high-end dacs are hard to differentiate since they couldn't correctly ID the difference between the antelope vs yggy better than a coin toss.

in fact, mr. katz specifically said that the yggy had a 'defect' having a smaller soundstage than the antelope... though I question how he could say that if he couldn't correctly ID the defect better than 50% of the time.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #7,610 of 151,087

Mr. Money 4 Me 24/7,

Depends on a person's perspective, I suppose.

From my lowly point of view, it's a tight comparison.

For those living with more elevated standards we have the $150,000 dcs and the $100,000 MSB.

I chase recorded music, I can accept affordable solutions to these electronic issues. 

But, I recognize the points you make as being valid.  

For me the performance escalator only goes to the $10,000 level, I'm now at about the $1,000 level.

The Yggy, HD800 would be a significant advancement that I would be happy to embrace. ( without remorse )   I could spend any savings on "Happy Pills" ( the ones that change the colors of the walls, in time with the music, are my favorites ) 

Tony in Michigan

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #7,611 of 151,087
lol... I think the takeaway from their comparison was that r2r vs DS doesn't matter... not that the antelope & yggy were the best. sounded like they were saying that all high-end dacs are hard to differentiate since they couldn't correctly ID the difference between the antelope vs yggy better than a coin toss.

in fact, mr. katz specifically said that the yggy had a 'defect' having a smaller soundstage than the antelope... though I question how he could say that if he couldn't correctly ID the defect better than 50% of the time.
considering they basically couldn't tell the difference, I would save myself more than half the dough and buy the Yggy.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #7,612 of 151,087
considering they basically couldn't tell the difference, I would save myself more than half the dough and buy the Yggy.

I agree. it is pretty weird to even mention sighted perceived defects that you can't ID in a blind test. imo. no offense meant.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #7,614 of 151,087

He's probably full of schiit.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #7,616 of 151,087
"defect"??  LOL!!

mr. katz's words not mine. he stated smaller soundstage & more brightness compared to the antelope, but neither him or tyll cld reliably ID the dac in blind tests. tyll said they got around 50% right. tyll felt the yggy was more dynamic

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #7,618 of 151,087

Mis-Tah ZabZaf, 

I saw the announcement for the 19th in Pleasant Ridge. 

Can't tell, just now.

I saw that you popped for the Multi-bit.  You'll be the Big Dog.  

Is Jude...? 

I'd like to see the Abarthman, again.  

Definate Maybe from :

Tony in Michigan

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #7,620 of 151,087

"Audiophile Nervosa"

Lovely description! 

Even better, it fits.

I suppose that we'll still have to Genuflect before the Stax Shrines ( out of politeness ).  I tell em that I owned Stax but sold em ( they leave me alone, for some reason ).  

dcs is coming after ya-all, they've scaled down their Big DAC to the $23,000 price point.  Phew, that's only 10x the cost of Yur Yggy!!!  Art Dudley ( of all people ) is doing some announcements about it.  Betcha Schiit is plenty worried.

People are sayn nice things about the Yggy, congratulations, it don't come easy, does it?

Tony in Michigan 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back