Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 26, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #75,811 of 149,406
They are "directional." You can't plug a USB B connector into a computer (usually), and you can't plug a USB A connector into a DAC (usually).
Sure you can. You just need the proper tool. :smile:

1619484093242.png

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #75,813 of 149,406
Cheesy editing aside, the early videos of the Red Arrows are awesome.

I'll save you the search for the Spitfire vid. It's technically NSFW, but just barely by today's standards.

Oh, and I should mention, I think that flying the Gnat was the most fun I've had with my clothes on.............

XR993, in that very colo(u)r scheme........

Cheers :wink:

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #75,815 of 149,406
I thought you used those to smoke BBQ...! Soak them in cheap beer, add the strips of meat, and hang 'em over the sterno fire. Easy peasy.
Sterno is so bad for the environment that we switched to burning used tires from the landfill a very long time ago. 2019 or so, IIRC. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #75,817 of 149,406
Oh, and I should mention, I think that flying the Gnat was the most fun I've had with my clothes on.............

XR993, in that very colo(u)r scheme........

Cheers :wink:
Dealing with European vendors I have learned it is a mould (not mold), and torch not flashlight (still not sure how a caliper became sliding gauge though and dial indicator and plumb bob just got butchered in translation). I am sure there are a few more as well.

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #75,818 of 149,406
I'm still trying to figure out 'spanner' and 'Bob's your uncle'. :thinking:

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #75,819 of 149,406
I would have expected the Canare to be used for analog RCA connections, or was the Canare just for balanced XLR?
They’re just rca connectors…

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #75,820 of 149,406
I am seriously in the wrong business. That's so mindbendingly nuts I'm at a loss for words. Which is unusual for me.

My experience from the pro audio world (where I worked many moons ago) is that high quality properly engineered and assembled cables are inaudible. As they should be. And that if you start hearing differences between voodoo cables, you're hearing the interaction between marginal I/O on the audio gear and a cable that is behaving like a filter. I'm a big fan of Canare L-4E6S star quad cable, Canare RCA and Neutrik XLR connectors. Reasonably priced raw materials, assemble them competently and you're good to go.

But that's me.

I'll let other obsess over their double woven yak hair assembled by monks on a remote hilltop super special deluxe edition cables.
Great to hear some sensible perspective on cables from the pro audio world @AudioGal :relaxed:
I run balanced cables from my Yggy to active ATC speakers ( which are used by 'pros' in recording studios).
I didn't buy the very cheapest balanced cables available; just ones which were well made with Neutrik connectors.
I think they were about £20.
My rationale was that if relatively cheap microphone cables are good enough for recording studios, and musicians playing live, they are certainly good enough for my home audio system.
I am very firmly in the sceptic camp when it comes to 'audiophile' cables and that is being polite!
BS is probably a better description of the claims made by some cable manufacturers :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #75,821 of 149,406
I'm still trying to figure out 'spanner' and 'Bob's your uncle'. :thinking:
Many years ago I worked for a manufacturer of hydraulic cranes and excavators.
You need some big wrenches/spanners to work on those machines!
I helped run several training course for visiting Service Engineers from all around the world- USA, Europe, Far East.
On one course, we had some German Engineers, who described an adjustable spanner ( wrench) as an 'Englander'.
I thought that was very funny! We had some good laughs with them.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #75,822 of 149,406
My ears can get used to anything. Unfortunately for our budget, I have a hard time making it stick. I tend to be willing to pay to achieve that better standard just around the corner. Max for min. I now see the opposite. I now min for max. (My wife has made it clear that if want to continue going up around the bend, she'll show me exactly where that is.)

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #75,824 of 149,406
Speaking about cables and connections, I still dont kind of get the point of balanced cables for home audio usage

Seems more like another marketing check box and a lot of trouble for not much improvements nowadays
I am a cable skeptic, but I can see the electrical theory behind balanced cables. I have not seen data supporting advantages but I can at least see the science, unlike most high end cable claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back