Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 26, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #75,796 of 150,787
Unless those prices are in Pesos I don't see how they can say it's still cheaper than a new car!

Audioquest states almost all of their wires are directional...

They are "directional." You can't plug a USB B connector into a computer (usually), and you can't plug a USB A connector into a DAC (usually).

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #75,797 of 150,787
Holy cow, someone is listing a Freya+ on fleabay for US $2,150.00.
With Lots of tubes. This is why I do not want to get into tubes

you are seeking the now-discontinued Freya S. AFAIK only produced in silver finish, and only one or two production runs (whatever that quantity is, only Schiit knows)

Jotunheim 2 is the next closest thing in terms of the Nexus gain stage (SE/Balanced I/O agnostic), but doesn't offer as many inputs nor does Jot 2 have the remote volume, muting, and input selection features.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #75,798 of 150,787
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #75,799 of 150,787
When the tubes are cool, take a couple strips of blue painters tape, slide down alongside the tube, press against to stick, and use the tape to help wiggle and remove the tube.

Highly recommended that you don't try this when the tubes are hot or you'll have a gooey, sticky mess to contend with.
Is this experience talking? :smile:

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #75,800 of 150,787
It's a generic Raspberry Pi, mounted in an enclosure made of wood instead of the usual acrylic or metal. They provide an SD card preloaded with Volumio software but you can run some other system if you prefer. You can search for reviews of Volumio on YouTube and elsewhere.

Are you sure it's a raspberry pi? The enclosure doesn't appear thick enough, and the ports don't seem right either.

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #75,801 of 150,787
I saw a listing of someone that was selling a black model. Probably a bad silver finish

Black Freya S -- sigh, rare as hens teeth

Isn't it purty? Sleek, stylish, no garish tubes killing it's long lean lines, and in understated black

/ducks and runs for cover

Well, the original purchaser's address is hanging out there for all to see - maybe you could track them down...? <j/k>

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #75,804 of 150,787
Directionality can be a factor (in a completed cable) when there is a shield involved that is connected at only one end. Otherwise, I'm going to have to pass on this one. There are some that say fuses have directionality too...I'm guessing if you put it in backwards everything will be 180 degrees out of phase? :smile: :smile:
On a very different topic. The RAF Red Arrows discovered that the Gnat aircraft rolled much faster without a rate limiting fuse. They were known for their twinkle rolls and for formation aileron rolls (in a nine-ship too!). The Powers That Be, heard what was going on and a command was issued "Aircraft MUST be flown with fuses installed."

The fuses were refitted, as per instructions, but no instruction stated that the fuses had to be intact and, strangely, all the roll fuses turned out to be blown.......

I THINK that was when the inimitable Ray Hanna led the Arrows, an amazing, amazing pilot and man. If you want to see him fly, YouTube for Alain deCadenet and Spitfire low flying. NSFW.

Cheers

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #75,805 of 150,787
On a very different topic. The RAF Red Arrows discovered that the Gnat aircraft rolled much faster without a rate limiting fuse. They were known for their twinkle rolls and for formation aileron rolls (in a nine-ship too!). The Powers That Be, heard what was going on and a command was issued "Aircraft MUST be flown with fuses installed."

The fuses were refitted, as per instructions, but no instruction stated that the fuses had to be intact and, strangely, all the roll fuses turned out to be blown.......

I THINK that was when the inimitable Ray Hanna led the Arrows, an amazing, amazing pilot and man. If you want to see him fly, YouTube for Alain deCadenet and Spitfire low flying. NSFW.

Cheers
Cheesy editing aside, the early videos of the Red Arrows are awesome.

I'll save you the search for the Spitfire vid. It's technically NSFW, but just barely by today's standards.

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #75,807 of 150,787
Apr 26, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #75,808 of 150,787
Cheesy editing aside, the early videos of the Red Arrows are awesome.

I'll save you the search for the Spitfire vid. It's technically NSFW, but just barely by today's standards.

Great videos, thanks - love the jazz flute in the first one! Where's Ron Burgundy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back