Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #75,841 of 150,619
Speaking about cables and connections, I still dont kind of get the point of balanced cables for home audio usage
Balanced cables were the easiest solution for a hum I had. Since then I just stick with balanced where I can.

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #75,842 of 150,619
I bought a 1000W medical grade isolation transformer from Amazon for $300 because I didn't feel like wondering/worrying about dirty power in my apartment building. It was more of a protection thing than anything else, but I can say that I never hear a hiss on a tube amp or any amp, even with IEMS. Plus, even if there is no sonic difference, at least the expensive gear is getting clean power, so peace of mind. I don't think it was a crazy purchase.

Can that protect against lightning strikes?

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #75,843 of 150,619
I bought a 1000W medical grade isolation transformer from Amazon for $300 because I didn't feel like wondering/worrying about dirty power in my apartment building. It was more of a protection thing than anything else, but I can say that I never hear a hiss on a tube amp or any amp, even with IEMS. Plus, even if there is no sonic difference, at least the expensive gear is getting clean power, so peace of mind. I don't think it was a crazy purchase.

Which one...? Thanks! 😁

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #75,847 of 150,619
Sorry I'm replying to an older post. With Qobuz you can browse based in genre, FYI. And they have a regularly updated playlist named "New Arrivals". They even have seperate new arrival playlists broken down for each genre (Metal, Classical, Jazz, etc.)
By radio I mean a random mix of new music. Not a playlist in my control.
I still cannot find browsing based on genre. Can you teach me?

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #75,851 of 150,619
By radio I mean a random mix of new music. Not a playlist in my control.
I still cannot find browsing based on genre. Can you teach me?
In the Qobuz UI inside Roon there is a "genre" pull down menu in the top right corner.
1619561605689.png

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #75,852 of 150,619
Speaking about cables and connections, I still dont kind of get the point of balanced cables for home audio usage

Seems more like another marketing check box and a lot of trouble for not much improvements nowadays
You need balanced cables to run your Aegir’s or Vidar’s mono. If you have a hardware balanced DAC like the Yggdrasil or Gungnir why would you not use balanced cables?

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #75,854 of 150,619
You need balanced cables to run your Aegir’s or Vidar’s mono. If you have a hardware balanced DAC like the Yggdrasil or Gungnir why would you not use balanced cables?
I agree @AudioGal:relaxed: Why wouldn't you use balanced if the hardware is properly designed for it?
I run balanced throughout- from digital source, via Yggy, to active speakers.
The speakers only have XLR inputs on the power amps, so that makes it an easy decision.
I can also run Freya S as balanced, but it's not currently in use as I am running my system without a preamp.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #75,855 of 150,619
I agree @AudioGal:relaxed: Why wouldn't you use balanced if the hardware is properly designed for it?
I run balanced throughout- from digital source, via Yggy, to active speakers.
The speakers only have XLR inputs on the power amps, so that makes it an easy decision.
I can also run Freya S as balanced, but it's not currently in use as I am running my system without a preamp.
I think even a serious cable denier would use XLS if their equipment all allowed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back