Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 18, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #75,362 of 149,371
I don't know how Mike got a single word in. 😄

I suspect Dave lets his work do the speaking for him. 😏

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #75,363 of 149,371
I’m in the queue for the Vali 2+. A couple have been sold as B stock since I ordered it. So those were not not good enough to send to me as A stock. I actually appreciate that, many companies would have repaired them and shipped as new in a time of back order.

B-stock are returns from customers and cosmetic defects. Many of the returns are like new and Schiit doesn't try to repair cosmetic defects.

I did actually receive a couple of items recently that were A stock that turned out to have blemishes (really tiny ones). I was offered either exchanges or the B-stock discounts. Given the long waits for product and how chaotic the shipping industry is right now, I chose the discounts.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #75,364 of 149,371
I've bought B-stock and C-stock products and have absolutely no complaints about what I received. The C-stock Mjolnir had a couple very, very, very minor blemishes in the grained aluminum that I had to look for very carefully. The C-stock Valhalla had nothing wrong that I could find.

Schiit is super picky and appears to have a very high standard for their fit and finish. I appreciate their obsessive level of attention to detail.

Good Schiit, Man!

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #75,365 of 149,371
I've bought B-stock and C-stock products and have absolutely no complaints about what I received. The C-stock Mjolnir had a couple very, very, very minor blemishes in the grained aluminum that I had to look for very carefully. The C-stock Valhalla had nothing wrong that I could find.

Schiit is super picky and appears to have a very high standard for their fit and finish. I appreciate their obsessive level of attention to detail.

Good Schiit, Man!

And if there is a problem, in my experience the customer service is excellent and will offer solutions to solve it.

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #75,366 of 149,371
Indeed. One of them being able to browse based on genre. And another some kind of "radio" with the latest arrivals.
It is asked for on every forum and via the helpdesk as long as they exist but for some reason they never care to listen to their client base.
They are improving Qobuz over time @Pietro Cozzi Tinin. The ability to choose genre(s) has been there for the last few months since I started my subscription.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 2.47.25 PM.png

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #75,367 of 149,371

Good Schiit, Man!
I guess Schiit changed their policies and grading. I bought the Gungnir MB when it first came out and there were several blemishes on the A stock. Other reports around the interwebs said I wasn't alone. This still kinda burns me to to this day. I also bought a Modius when they first came out last year, and it also had a nice factory-installed scratch on the metal case.

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #75,368 of 149,371
I have tried 4 lossless streaming services: Amazon HD, Qobuz, Deezer and Tidal. Of all of them, Deezer sounded closest to my local files. Amazon HD sounded worse, Tidal sounded worse and like it had some kind of EQ (I didn't touch the MQA, which is lossy, but that's another matter.) and Qobuz actually managed to sound BETTER than my local files. I would've chosen Qobuz, but I had playback problems with their service on my Mac and their catalog still doesn't have enough alternative and indie.

I chose Deezer HiFi, and most of the time I don't think I could tell it apart from my local files.

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #75,370 of 149,371
Tidal sounded worse and like it had some kind of EQ (I didn't touch the MQA, which is lossy, but that's another matter.)

That's because the vast majority of their files are MQA. What you were listening to was PCM bastardized by MQA and then converted back to PCM. See the video several pages back if you want to understand the details.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #75,371 of 149,371
I guess Schiit changed their policies and grading. I bought the Gungnir MB when it first came out and there were several blemishes on the A stock. Other reports around the interwebs said I wasn't alone. This still kinda burns me to to this day. I also bought a Modius when they first came out last year, and it also had a nice factory-installed scratch on the metal case.
Did you contact them about the blemishes? For what the Gungnir MB costs, I'd expect a blemish free finish if I was buying a new unit.

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #75,372 of 149,371
Did you contact them about the blemishes? For what the Gungnir MB costs, I'd expect a blemish free finish if I was buying a new unit.
Nope, and that's on me. However, I did see several other reports of blemishes, which I think were attributed to them changing their metal vendors, so I assumed at the time I'd have to live with it like others did as well. I discussed briefly the blemishes when I did a mini-review of it when it came out.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #75,373 of 149,371

Users who are viewing this thread

Back