Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #75,287 of 149,336
Apr 17, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #75,288 of 149,336
My mum was a fan of Golden Cockers and we, as kids, used to delight in getting them all excited. Sandy could, by a noisy licking of the lips and "oooooh, this is lovely", made to pee profusely wherever she was.

We thought it highly amusing. Mum, not so much. :wink:

As Ms Jody says often "You are twelve aren't you??"
My 23yo daughter has been known to proclaim that her mom has two kids, of which she is the oldest. Yup, she’s an only child...

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #75,289 of 149,336
I had to parse that first sentence a couple times. My brain kept seeing just the "angst" in Folkvangst. Folkvangst angst?

Very cool! Love the servo bias control.

Hmmm..... with 300 or 600 ohm headphones, the loss of power with 6CG7s wouldn't be a very big issue. The 6CG7 is very similar to the 6SN7.... This could be interesting.
Seems an awful lot like a Valhalla 2 on steroids!! :D

servo bias control for each output tube = no need for matched quads = easier and cheaper maintenance.

6CG7's for cooler running with 250 / 300 / 600 ohm cans.

Vahalla 2 on steroids = ability to drive DCA and other low-impedance medium efficiency (~90dB/mW) planars using 6N6P output tubes.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #75,294 of 149,336
To help clear up some Folkvangst, here's what's screened on the tube tray:

folkvangr tube screen.jpg

No need for output matching--there's individual servo control of each output tube.

Also, there are no real alternatives to 6N6P--the JJ ECC99 is a different pinout. You need tube adapters to make those work correctly.

6CG7 will work without adapters, but will also run about 1/4 the output current of the 6N6P, so it'll be a wayyyyyy weaker amp.

If nothing else, the Folkvangr will sell like crazy in Tromsø!

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #75,295 of 149,336
Putting a sub in a corner is louder, but it does not blend very well.

As unscientific approach i like to use is to place the sub in the listening position and play music and/or video and to walk around the room and find the location where the bass sounds the "best" to me.

That position is where I place the sub... if it is practical.

My preference is for the sub to make the speakers sound like they are producing the bass and for them to be noticeable when they are turned off.

Most rooms I try it is usually between the front speakers or on a side wall between the front speakers and the listening position.

For most consumers, they prefer the location where the bass is the loudest... which is the corner.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #75,296 of 149,336
Putting a sub in a corner is louder, but it does not blend very well.

As unscientific approach i like to use is to place the sub in the listening position and play music and/or video and to walk around the room and find the location where the bass sounds the "best" to me.

That position is where I place the sub... if it is practical.

My preference is for the sub to make the speakers sound like they are producing the bass and for them to be noticeable when they are turned off.

Most rooms I try it is usually between the front speakers or on a side wall between the front speakers and the listening position.

For most consumers, they prefer the location where the bass is the loudest... which is the corner.
Also known as the sub-crawl method.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #75,297 of 149,336
Apr 17, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #75,298 of 149,336
We have several microbrew stouts and porters in our fridge that are made with coffee. Great morning beers. Can't drink them in the evening, they affect my sleep too much.
Love a good stout or porter. Coffee, chocolate and carmel, malt flavors and notes are good anytime of day. I have a microibrew made with Nicaraguan espresso that will keep me up if I have one after 6PM. But it is soooo good. 😄

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #75,300 of 149,336
I don't need it. I want it! 😄
Better start stashing up now. Once I get started, the few that are left will be starting at $200 each. :laughing::laughing:

1618708989121.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back