Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #721 of 150,772
Apr 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #723 of 150,772
So is it fair to say there won't be a Bifrost 2 then?  Just upgrades to the original Bifrost?

I mean, that's the major selling point for it right?

It's one major selling point. Others are that it sounds terrific, and at a very fair price.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #724 of 150,772
  You could just call it Bifrost 1.2...

Sorry, I wasn't talking about the upgrades to the Bifrost (Uber Bifrost, USB Gen2, etc.), but an actual major version #2.  Like overhauling the whole design and calling it Bifrost 2.

Provided that it stays as the original Bifrost with just the Analog Output/USB upgrades, than that would be cool.  Having a new major release come along in the future would kind of defeat the 'upgradeability' selling point of the Bifrost.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #725 of 150,772
So is it fair to say there won't be a Bifrost 2 then?  Just upgrades to the original Bifrost?

I mean, that's the major selling point for it right?

Of course no one but Jason can speak for Schiit, but I'd imagine they would discontinue the bifrost one of these days. Just because a product isn't meant to be a throwaway and is intended to have an exceptionally long life cycle doesn't mean it will be around forever. There's probably still some sort of product roadmap and approximate life cycle.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #726 of 150,772

Sorry, I wasn't talking about the upgrades to the Bifrost (Uber Bifrost, USB Gen2, etc.), but an actual major version #2.  Like overhauling the whole design...

They already did that... it's called the Gungnir
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #727 of 150,772

It wasn’t until a few weeks later that I saw Anonymous Guy’s picture, and found out what company he worked for. And the light came on. Because not only was that company manufacturing product in China, they were also selling their own expertise in helping other companies move their own manufacturing to China. So, it was like I’d peed in his Cheerios and then kicked him in the nuts for good measure. No wonder he’d looked less than happy.

To this day, he doesn’t speak to us.

I might need a fourth copy of your book just for that comment

Another fun chapter - the story of Anonymous Guy made me howl. That type - jerks with malignant personality disorder - is over-represented in the audio industry. Jason and Rina are some of the few I would have over for beer and pizza. One of the big reasons I've been a Schiit Frequent Flyer.

Seriously, still though [Don't SHOOT ME] I'm a big Audio GD fan so... I'd love to see how aggressivly Schiit will price their Mid Tier balanced Amps and dacs. I paid about $700 for my NFB10ES2 , I'm pretty sure the Ragna and Yggdra are going to be some where north of that for one piece of the puzzle.

I'd love to see them make something that compete's directly to the slice of market Audio GD now holds. In my book, for $120 there's not a better sound Hybrid Tube amp... PERIOD. I owne'd the Vali and it was wonderful! sadly all of my headphones are fully balanced at this point so SE amps don't stay with me to long

but as some one who owned more than a few random Chinnese Hybrid Tubes... I was super happy when I first listened to it <3. Can't wait to see what they do next!

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #728 of 150,772
  Chapter 11:
USB Sucks! Or, Mike Joins the 21st Century

Have you noticed that most of the better DACs these days are avoiding sample rate conversion, or allowing you to turn it off? And how about all those inexpensive upgradable DACs that assure your new purchase isn’t going into the trash can after a few months…no, wait, that hasn’t happened yet…

Shots Fired! Whatup, DAC industry.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #729 of 150,772
I might need a fourth copy of your book just for that comment

Seriously, still though [Don't SHOOT ME] I'm a big Audio GD fan so... I'd love to see how aggressivly Schiit will price their Mid Tier balanced Amps and dacs. I paid about $700 for my NFB10ES2 , I'm pretty sure the Ragna and Yggdra are going to be some where north of that for one piece of the puzzle.

I think Schiits "mid tier" balanced gear is already priced and on sale, the gungnir and mojilner. The future gear ragnorok and Yggdrasil are intended to be top of the line products.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #732 of 150,772
Apr 12, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #733 of 150,772
  Chapter 11:
USB Sucks! Or, Mike Joins the 21st Century
... In the end, we decided to stand up and say, “We believe in this, and we’ll take the pain to make it right.”

>> When Mike Says USB Sucks, You Listen
>>
>> “USB?” Mike gagged, miming sticking a finger down his throat to induce vomiting. “USB is for children and fools. Why would you want to use USB for audio?”
>>
>> “Because it’s really popular,” I said. “Everyone has it—“
>> .....
>>“We have to have USB,” I told Mike, firmly.
>>
>> Mike grumbled again.

I had a lot more to say about this chapter, but nobody really wants to hear from me anyway. This section boils it all down to the real point, anyway. Notwithstanding Mike's valid points about USB, you stuck to your guns and insisted on it anyhow. And that was the right thing to do. Everyone knows what a USB port is (including my son that likes to think he knows more than me, to my ex wife who really doesn't know much of anything), and most people (even non technical types) know that you plug things into your computer using USB ports. All of those lovely technical explanations aside, that's all they really need to know.

I would not put further explanations as to "why" for USB on your website. As a fellow engineer, I understand why you want to get into the technical explanation of it all. But most of us, when we come home from our day jobs, even if we are gearheads too, don't want to think about technical stuff. We just want to plug things in and have them work (which is the genius of Apple). Other than maybe the "20-21 bits: God’s domain" thing, which I would put up just to indicate how silly it is to worry about things that aren't worth worrying about. Because there is something comforting about physical limits, after all
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #735 of 150,772
I've been dying from all of the schiity puns that have been said in this thread
Although I'm looking for a portable amp right now when I have the money I think that I might buy a schiit ton of gear. Though I would be really interested if a little schiit (some good ol portable schiit if you know what I mean... ok I'll think about stopping this stupid pun schiit... maybe... probably not...) was made. I'd be schiiting my pants to get a hold of one of those pieces of schiit.

Also I've been finding this story to be some really interesting schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back