Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 22, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #7,128 of 149,738
Tsiolkovskij?  The guy who poached William Moore?  That Tsiolkovskij?  :wink:

-Sigh. I somehow expected that someone would bring Moore into the equation (pun somewhat intended).

I should read up on Moore, though - just to prove my ignorance, I'll ask rather than Google - did he do anything else rocketry-related once he'd derived the Tsiolkovskij (sorry!) equation, or was it merely an interesting mathematical problem to him?

(While Tsiolkovsky to the best of my knowledge never attempted to build an actual rocket himself, he did quite literally write the book(s) on how to do so...)

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #7,129 of 149,738
Relax.  It's all tongue-in-cheek, meant to emphasize that all breakthrough work and discoveries are generally still built off of incremental previous work, even if specific notable efforts are unknown to to the particular individual at the time, just like Tsiolkovskij's work was unknown to Goddard, and Moore's work was probably unknown to Tsiolkovskij.

Moore's work was aimed (pun somewhat intended
wink.gif
) at understanding through mathematical modeling the ballistic physics of naval gunnery and the military rockets (Congreve) of the day.  As such he was a theorist, just like Tsiolkovskij.  Goddard OTOH was an experimenter and engineer whose rocket science breakthroughs came through configurations and component design, including the first liquid propelled rocket.

And I think that was the most singular feat that earned Goddard the title of 'father of modern rocketry', emphasis on modern, since there's a 13th century Chinese mage just waiting in the wings here for his cue in turn for an onstage entrance.    

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #7,130 of 149,738
Time for "Team America: World Police" to step in and set all the Metric Only people right the 'Murican way!
The above is satire

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #7,131 of 149,738
Jason,

You said at the beginning of the book, your friend gave you a tube amplifier and using it with your AKG you began to realize part of the "tube magic". After these years, with measurements, listening, building amplifiers with different topologies, did you come to any conclusion about it?
Does something correlates in measures with "that"?

Thanks,

Eduardo

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #7,132 of 149,738

What’s the one thing you dislike most about your current audio system?

Yes, dislike.

If you have a few moments, indulge me. I’d appreciate it!

Not sure if you're still tracking responses to this but I currently dislike how whenever I get a new item, I have to find a new way to organize my gear. In fact, I find that I spend a lot of time making my decision of gear purchases based on the size and quality of a unit. If a unit is the best and in budget but wont fit or use the available connections to my other gear, then it goes right out the door. Ideally, I want units that take every type of input, have every type of output, and can link together as well.

Also of note, a stacking system for my units with ample heat dissipation sections would be nice and welcomed. If you are like me you work at a desk and you need multiple monitors, my gear ends up being underneath raised monitors or hidden away and using IR relays where possible. It would be nice to have an easier way to manage that and even take some space back for my desk.

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #7,134 of 149,738
These measurements sound like your backstop... like they are the thing that tells you when you have to stop worrying about the engineering... None of them really affects music in a direct way, they all seem to be good enough when it stops distracting the listener from the music, or the experience.

But what drives your design? I see a lot of varying topologies, but not so much what joins them together - except curiosity... I would have thought there is a central belief in what constitues good sound, and what paths would most likely get you there... that would drive design. Obviously "how cool is a ciclotron" is a valid design concept... as is how cool is something this small that still sounds real. I expect that a vision that drives design is as much a hurdle than a springboard, but especially for a statement product you look at what is needed to reproduce music... the best, if that exists...

Like those people who are after anechoic FR, or in-room response or Impulse response, or short signal paths or BEEG FREEKING PSU's?

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #7,135 of 149,738

It's amazing how many people lose their mind when we tell them "you really should pick your transducer first, then worry about amps and DACs." 

Hint: if we're telling you not to buy our stuff, you can probably trust that the advice is sincere. Just like an ad agency telling you, "You don't need advertising." Or a mechanic saying, "Your car is just fine, nothing to work on here."

Its one of the reasons I trust schiit over many other companies.
A company that is able to look for the interest of the consumer it targets is usually a long term investment strategy (something fairly uncommon these days).

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #7,137 of 149,738
Yeah, Like anyone is gonna go to the moon to check if you are right :D.

Only Rod Serling really knows! :wink:

Suggested reading for those that wish to dig deeper...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3130017/Russian-official-demands-investigation-really-happened-moon-landing-original-footage-disappeared.html

http://www.openculture.com/2014/07/stanley-kubrick-faked-the-apollo-11-moon-landing-45-years-ago-or-so-the-conspiracy-theory-goes.html

WHAT?! Wait a minute, I guess the Chinese Government DID a little fact-checking of their own! :-0
http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/chinese-lunar-rover-finds-no-evidence-of-american-moon-landings/

Hmmm...but how do we know that China's not faking their lunar landing; my brain hurts.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #7,138 of 149,738
Only Rod Serling really knows! :wink:

Suggested reading for those that wish to dig deeper...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3130017/Russian-official-demands-investigation-really-happened-moon-landing-original-footage-disappeared.html

http://www.openculture.com/2014/07/stanley-kubrick-faked-the-apollo-11-moon-landing-45-years-ago-or-so-the-conspiracy-theory-goes.html

WHAT?! Wait a minute, I guess the Chinese Government DID a little fact-checking of their own! :-0
http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/chinese-lunar-rover-finds-no-evidence-of-american-moon-landings/

Hmmm...but how do we know that China's not faking their lunar landing; my brain hurts.

The Chinese found an iPhone on the Moon. So you know they're Fulla Schiit, it was a knockoff they bought on Alibaba as a prop.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #7,139 of 149,738
I was wondering is there is any difference except maybe the transformer between US and EU schiit.

The last company I worked for bought some electronics form the US and there always huge problems on safety due to different laws. As an example we to rewire an entire machine since only brown wire was used. Each wire had a number and you could look up that number to see what "kind" of wire it was.

In the Netherlands:

green/yellow = ground
zero = blue (N)
phase = brown (L, L1, L2 etc)
black = switch wire/hook up wire (not sure how to translate) (T)

There were some issues as well.

So I was wondering how hard is it so get CE certification for products as a US manufacturer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back