Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 28, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #70,876 of 150,590
No, it's an ad.
Supposing everyone here knows where to find guttless-berg and the rest of his non-critical because payed by the brands colleagues, I fail to see the purpose of this kind of links on this thread.
But hey.. that's just me.
Not even that. It's just blahblahblahblah.
That's what happens when you need to make a new video every day or every week.

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #70,877 of 150,590
Ah, the old days. I did the 90-min cassettes with 1 album per side too, probably a lot of the older gentlemen here did. I bought a Nakamichi 700 cassette deck (battery powered) and a 12v Advent 300 receiver so I could have quality hi-fi in my truck. It didn't have much uptime ... the Advent's power supply kept crapping out ... but it was fun (if expensive) experiment when it was working. And then I got married, and my fun & frivolous spending days were done.
I spent nearly as much on the sound in my first car in '83 (a '73 Toyota Celica) as I did on buying the car. Had a top-of-the-range Clarion deck, 4" 2-ways in the front, 6" two ways in the rear (both Pioneer), Realistic (Radio Shack) EQ and power amps. No easily obtainable subwoofers for a car back then. I clearly remember my pride at wiring the amps in and then my dismay as power lead that somehow ended squashed between a couple of panels melted when the car was running and caught fire! Luckily no serious damage, just some scorch marks and a dented ego, fixed in a couple of hours with some more careful wiring. My mother used to say she could hear me coming a mile away!

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #70,878 of 150,590
Check on the Sine Wave to see where we are at with the conversations. New Members are inducted after "Bit and Sample Rate" discussions. Since we have just had BBQ and Toobs, you only have to wait for Roadkill, Canned Meats, Cables, Hi-Res vs Redbook and the aforemention Bit Rate discussion and then we can finalise it for you :)

I should and I will in the next release

hahaha

Wash your mouth out

You have no idea... neither does anyone else I would wager!

I used to only buy TDK, usually 90s, so I could easily fit an album on each side. So I'd buy the 2 albums and one blank cassette, record it on first listen and the casette went to the car.

That made me laugh @Timster
Only TDK 90s were good enough for the cassette player in my car back in the late 70s :beyersmile:
Two speakers on the rear parcel shelf..

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #70,879 of 150,590
BBQ is the last thing on my mind now. This BF2 and MJ2 is value for money and sound real good.

Imagine how much better it would sound if you listened while enjoying a nice plate of tender beef brisket, BBQ beans, and potato salad. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #70,880 of 150,590
I imagine how much better it would sound if you listened while enjoying a nice plate of tender beef brisket, BBQ beans, and potato salad. :wink:

Drool.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #70,881 of 150,590
I clearly remember my pride at wiring the amps in and then my dismay as power lead that somehow ended squashed between a couple of panels melted when the car was running and caught fire!

As a teenager in the late 70's, I tried to install a "modern" car stereo into my 1967 MGB that had a positive earthed electrical system. It didn't go well.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #70,882 of 150,590
...or cassette? :ksc75smile:
ancient-cassette.jpg Nope. Nope. Nope.
Back in '82 I had a '71 F150 three-on-the-tree that I raced around town in while in high school. I upgraded the AM radio to an Alpine AM/FM/Cassette with a 9-band graphic EQ/Amp. Now that was stylin'! Sounded great cranked up with the windows down in the summertime doing 70 down the two-lanes. Today? Yeah, no. :smile:

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #70,883 of 150,590
As a teenager in the late 70's, I tried to install a "modern" car stereo into my 1967 MGB that had a positive earthed electrical system. It didn't go well.

What a coincidence @33na3rd :beyersmile:
My first car was a 1963 Wolseley Hornet ( a Mini with a boot...) and it also had a positive Earth system, and a dynamo!
The battery was in the boot and it was not a straightforward job to reverse the polarity so I had to improvise.
It didn't go too well for me either.
One day on a long journey, I knocked the small wooden block which I had used to insulate and mount the cassette player on, under the dashboard with my knee.
Not good :scream:

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #70,884 of 150,590
Steve Guttenberg reviews the Jotunheim 2:

ed

There have been a few posts critical of this review. To my untrained ear, the review follows the pattern of most reviews, both in media and by happy campers on this thread.

He characterizes the sound using the same mix of terms (sound stage, separation, bass, mid-range, bright, soft, etc.), compares it to two other amps, it's older sibling and another significantly more expensive, and an array of headphones at different price points and styles and with variety of music.

Unless you go all ASR on it, what else is there.

It was unfortunate that he chose to do the comparisons, apparently exclusively, using the internal DAC's instead of using a consistent analog source. In the end we don't know if it's the multibit card or the amp itself that sets it apart. Something he acknowledges but does nothing about.

I'm not defending or criticizing the review, or Mr. Guttenberg, in general but I wonder what folks want or expect, more than what was in the review.

Of course, the best review is Jason's product announcement chapter!

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #70,885 of 150,590
Anyone able to recommend a good classical music headphone (below 2k) to pair with the MJ2 that is not the HD800? I really love the 800 but it just doesn’t fit my head right (too loose). Comfort isn’t #1 but I just don’t know if I can spend that kind of money unless I like the fit too.

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #70,886 of 150,590
Anyone able to recommend a good classical music headphone (below 2k) to pair with the MJ2 that is not the HD800? I really love the 800 but it just doesn’t fit my head right (too loose). Comfort isn’t #1 but I just don’t know if I can spend that kind of money unless I like the fit too.
Maybe try the Audio Technica ATH-ADX5000? Worth a look at least, not talked about as often as the HD800s but a lot of people that have them seem to prefer them to the HD800s.

Hifiman Arya would be another to look at.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #70,887 of 150,590
There have been a few posts critical of this review. To my untrained ear, the review follows the pattern of most reviews, both in media and by happy campers on this thread.

He characterizes the sound using the same mix of terms (sound stage, separation, bass, mid-range, bright, soft, etc.), compares it to two other amps, it's older sibling and another significantly more expensive, and an array of headphones at different price points and styles and with variety of music.

Unless you go all ASR on it, what else is there.

It was unfortunate that he chose to do the comparisons, apparently exclusively, using the internal DAC's instead of using a consistent analog source. In the end we don't know if it's the multibit card or the amp itself that sets it apart. Something he acknowledges but does nothing about.

I'm not defending or criticizing the review, or Mr. Guttenberg, in general but I wonder what folks want or expect, more than what was in the review.

Of course, the best review is Jason's product announcement chapter!
I want to see a review where suddenly crap is coming up. You know, where the reviewer is honest and fair but comes to the conclusion the product is really bad. Can’t remember the last one I saw or read...

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #70,890 of 150,590
To me comfort is #1, that’s probably why I prefer listening with my loudspeakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back