Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #7,070 of 151,895
Yeah and sputnik was in space thanks to the metric system before that. By the way the germans whom 'murica poached to get their rockets working where also using metric. But I guess your engineer were good at translating in schiit-tons of powaaa.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #7,075 of 151,895
who cares if it's SI units or not? some people drive on the right side of the road, some on the left, we don't all use the same units for money, we don't speak the same language. so what? for a unit there isn't one better than another, they were all made up anyway. the point of a unit is to unify something, to have a common ground for communication and we have it as the US actually referenced their units in metric values. so when needed we can convert and be happy.
it's very clear that the US are making their own life difficult for no particular reason, as they do not use exclusively their system. in fact most of science uses the SI units whatever the country. so in the end they just have to learn 2 stuff instead of one. if they want to, how does that hinder everybody else's life? it doesn't. 

I would like to make some stupid anti American comment, but the truth is that if I just take France, when I deal with photography, there are many things I will express in inches(pouce) because "that's how it is". there is zero legitimate reason, but somehow the inches stick to photography even to this day. same thing for monitors and TVs, the diagonal is usually given in both units but we're fine with inches. why is it that we're using inches, who knows? habits. and truth be told, nobody cares.
and when I'm taking a bottle of coke, the stuff is quantified in litre by habit. if we were really practical and trying to make things universal, we would be talking in cm³ for example.
and those are just stuff I come up with on the top of my head while writing. I'm sure we all have many of those weird stuff going on.

now taking pride in something that doesn't make much sense, it's a very different story and I have a clear opinion on that one
wink_face.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #7,077 of 151,895
That's only because that's all the U.S. people (not murica, thank you…) know. That's what we were taught. I don't like it. I am happy for the English language, though.

Pictures of Pluto are pretty neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back