Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #68,326 of 153,553
The results? Jotunheim 2 now does 7.2W RMS into 32 ohms at 1% THD, up from 5W on the Jotunheim. (We rate it a bit less at 6W RMS, because that's how we do things around here.)

Is this Schitts way of telling us that this amp has "balls!!"..

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #68,327 of 153,553
Here were some of my thoughts while testing:

Subjectively its definitely "more open. "Clearer less Jot like..: many folks think the J1 is warm...the new J2 is definitely less warm to my ears.

Love the 4 leds internally, nice amber glow and there is still the power on led that I like as well.

Out of all the amps I have the balanced out with the HEDDs is near perfect in overall soundstage, musicality, great slam, very 3 dimensional. Bass slam...excellent control with harder to drive cans...more than enough power etc..

The end game is I should send back the Lyr3, Asgard 3, the Jot 1, Magnius, Vahalla 2, etc and sell all my other crap and just be VERY happy with this amp. (I love the Lyr 3, the A3 is ok, The Vahalla 2 with the Senns and Beyers .)...

The amp has "tube'ish like traits, not harsh or too warm..somewhere in between a SS amp and a Tube amp sound..yet very clear and distinct, dead silent. A silky smooth volume pot, first class feel.

It also drove the Hifi man Susvaras exteremley well...no need for a speaker amp!

The experience with the HEDDs comes alive and sounds like speakers hanging off my ears...like the SR1a's..in that direction.

Diana Krall vocals are perfect...tone etc. Very well balanced amp.

Case is mildly warm to the touch...after 1 hour on. Measured temp on bottom of case sitting on top of J1 (off) and its 83 deg F in a warm room". AC off. Probe stuck in top vent hole right side 1/4" 90 deg F. Top outside case on the Schiit logo 80 def F. This is a great selling point....based on past Schiit amps running warmer...this is a big deal for some

This might be the "one amp" to rule them all!! Hobbitsville!

Low gain has more feedback, like most amps. Nothing super special there

It's Class AB, with Continuity S to improve performance.

Log Pot...Alps 15A taper.

DC coupled all the way!

The pre-outs are for speaker power amps or powered speakers.

Immediate difference noticed that the amp drives most anything with ease. Insanely powerful amp for $399!

Alex

Note: This is not your fathers Jot OG! 2 more watts RMS at 50 ohms!
:>)
Nice review Alex. How's the soundstage size on the Jot2? Is it much bigger width and depth wise vs. Jot1? Or is it just a tad bigger?

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #68,330 of 153,553
the third lever has 3 positions? can you switch between headphones/XLR/RCA? or just 2 positions and it sends the same audio for both xlr and rca at the back? thanks.

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #68,331 of 153,553
Some are gonna want the preamp outputs to switch automatically when headphones are plugged in

Fantastic description of what looks to be an impressive product. ☺

I for one prefer to leave my 1/4"-3.5mm adapter plugged in full time. It annoys me when that disables the preamp outputs, so thanks for that decision.

(On a side note I went to order a Hel as an Xmas gift, and shipping to Canada was 25% of the purchase price. I just couldn't afford it. So I thought, "to Hel with it, I'll just get a Schiity mask." Purchase price, US$15. Shipping? US$23... Total: CAD$48.) No Schiit for me this time around... 😣

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #68,335 of 153,553
Hah. Yea, and many people don't know the proper usage of "their" vs. "they're" but that does not make the misuse acceptable. :)

grammar.png

JC

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #68,336 of 153,553
Awesome. Joined FB yesterday for the sole reason of getting on the list to win one something and while watching Jason's vid I get immediately locked out for 30 days. I posted NOTHING until I tried to say "Hi, Glad is all is well at Schiit". Deleting my account now. Grrrr.....

Screen Shot 7.png

Shoulda known better. Sorry for the sour grapes and please understand none of this post is aimed at Schiit. :imp:

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #68,339 of 153,553
I wasn't a fan of the OG Jot's SQ. Too bright and metallic sounding for me.
@XERO1 and others of that experience:
Did you ever try Joty OG with balanced inputs, as from Bifrost 2? That transformed the unit for me.
(Of course that is moot now if one orders the Joty 2).

But as to Jason introducing Nexus and Continuity S just in time for Christmas...
Bah, humbug? I donno. I just ordered one. Just one.

Well, happy holidays to all
NoahFence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back