Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #68,312 of 151,580
The original Jot is bright, has a harsh overall sound, poor dynamics (everything is loud), and closed in soundstage. It probably sounds good with a gooey, unresolving DAC but I don't own one of those. The Lyr 3 is worlds better but the lack of balanced output prompted me to sell it as I just couldn't be happy with it. I'm looking forward to the reviews though, although the initial reviews of the original Jot were way off imo.

I really, really hope the Jot 2 is a balanced amp that sounds closer to the Lyr 3 (which seems to be what the goal was).

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #68,313 of 151,580
I have the Lyr 3 and Asgard 3 and the Hersey and Magni 3 here and have been testing the Jot 2 for awhile and its an all around excellent amp....drives anything including Susvaras...

I have a Jot OG along side the J2.

As good a the Jot OG is the J2 is more refined....not harsh at all, smooth and tubish "like" but still very clean, clear etc..
Pairs with my HEDDS in balanced mode in HIGH Gain one of the best pairings with the Hedds I have heard to date.

It may look like the Jot OG on the outside but inside its a totally new beast IMO.

Its really one amp that just does it all, really well and indeed may be the only amp you need!

Alex

Congrats to Schiit for keeping the cost at $399!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #68,316 of 151,580
Aside: it also gives you a distortion profile that’s reminiscent of a tube amp. Hmmmmmmmmmm….

But is this a bug or a feature? Maybe the single-ended output sounds a bit softer and tubier because of its distortion profile. Or maybe all distortion is sufficiently below the transducer distortion that you can’t hear it at all, in which case the argument is moot. Or maybe most people choosing a differential amp will typically be using it with balanced headphones, and the single-ended output is a convenience.

Most interesting - and definitely a feature in my book! A listen to the new Jotunheim will be required at the earliest possible convenience given the current Covid constraints. Congratulations on the launch of another exciting product!

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #68,317 of 151,580
Ordered! :L3000:

I wasn't a fan of the OG Jot's SQ. Too bright and metallic sounding for me.

But I really like the voicing of the Lyr 3 and Asgard 3, so hopefully the Jot 2 sounds more like those two, but with a fully balanced output. :nerd:

Great! I have similar experiences with the Lyr 3 and Asgard 3 vs. the Jotunheim 1 so I'll be very interested in hearing your impressions.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #68,318 of 151,580
Ordered! Lyr 3 clearly wasn’t meant to be, as it has been about six months and 230V version is still in backorder.

good fortune on your part. I bought my Asgard 3 about 2 months ago (after 1 month in backorder) or this would be very tempting... (unless Schiit would "extend" the return period)

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #68,319 of 151,580
Here were some of my thoughts while testing:

Subjectively its definitely "more open. "Clearer less Jot like..: many folks think the J1 is warm...the new J2 is definitely less warm to my ears.

Love the 4 leds internally, nice amber glow and there is still the power on led that I like as well.

Out of all the amps I have the balanced out with the HEDDs is near perfect in overall soundstage, musicality, great slam, very 3 dimensional. Bass slam...excellent control with harder to drive cans...more than enough power etc..

The end game is I should send back the Lyr3, Asgard 3, the Jot 1, Magnius, Vahalla 2, etc and sell all my other crap and just be VERY happy with this amp. (I love the Lyr 3, the A3 is ok, The Vahalla 2 with the Senns and Beyers .)...

The amp has "tube'ish like traits, not harsh or too warm..somewhere in between a SS amp and a Tube amp sound..yet very clear and distinct, dead silent. A silky smooth volume pot, first class feel.

It also drove the Hifi man Susvaras exteremley well...no need for a speaker amp!

The experience with the HEDDs comes alive and sounds like speakers hanging off my ears...like the SR1a's..in that direction.

Diana Krall vocals are perfect...tone etc. Very well balanced amp.

Case is mildly warm to the touch...after 1 hour on. Measured temp on bottom of case sitting on top of J1 (off) and its 83 deg F in a warm room". AC off. Probe stuck in top vent hole right side 1/4" 90 deg F. Top outside case on the Schiit logo 80 def F. This is a great selling point....based on past Schiit amps running warmer...this is a big deal for some

This might be the "one amp" to rule them all!! Hobbitsville!

Low gain has more feedback, like most amps. Nothing super special there

It's Class AB, with Continuity S to improve performance.

Log Pot...Alps 15A taper.

DC coupled all the way!

The pre-outs are for speaker power amps or powered speakers.

Immediate difference noticed that the amp drives most anything with ease. Insanely powerful amp for $399!

Alex

Note: This is not your fathers Jot OG! 2 more watts RMS at 50 ohms!
:>)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #68,320 of 151,580
The original Jot is bright, has a harsh overall sound, poor dynamics (everything is loud), and closed in soundstage. It probably sounds good with a gooey, unresolving DAC but I don't own one of those. The Lyr 3 is worlds better but the lack of balanced output prompted me to sell it as I just couldn't be happy with it. I'm looking forward to the reviews though, although the initial reviews of the original Jot were way off imo.

I really, really hope the Jot 2 is a balanced amp that sounds closer to the Lyr 3 (which seems to be what the goal was).

I agree point for point on Jot 1, LYR3 put it in the closet for a give away some day, but I will give it a "work release" for the listening comparisons.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #68,321 of 151,580
Congrats to Schiit for keeping the cost at $399!
Not to quibble, but rather, to give credit where credit is due:

it's about 10% cheaper

Here were some of my thoughts while testing:

Note: This is not your fathers Jot OG! 2 more watts RMS at 50 ohms!
:>)
TY for the review! Is this for s/e and balanced, or just balanced?

I spy a f+ in b-land

My order came to 666 ... before shipping and taxes. TG for shipping and taxes.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #68,324 of 151,580
The original Jot is bright, has a harsh overall sound, poor dynamics (everything is loud), and closed in soundstage.
How you describe the OG Jot as sounding like "everything is loud" all the time is exactly what I heard as well. It was like it had some kind of built-in compressor circuit that couldn't be switched off and it was this aspect of it's SQ that just wore my ears out super quickly. :confounded:

Hopefully that issue with the Jot's SQ has been addressed with the Jot 2. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #68,325 of 151,580
Just placed an order. Loved the form factor of the OG, loved the functionality but couldn't get over lack of switchable preouts. Now that the last enemt has been destroyed I can enjoy a Jot on my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back