Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #66,766 of 150,704
How about an insane 10-tube all-tube headphone amp? It's something I'm playing around with. Of course, it would be about 10x the price of a Vali 2+. And it currently isn't ready for prime time (too much hummmmmmmmm...but fixable.) Still not sure I want to bring it to production.

Hard to improve Valhalla 2 without adding a bunch of cost. Or hybridizing. And then what's the point? It's supposed to be an affordable pure tube amp.
something along the lines of the ALO Audio Studio Six, at a relative more affordable price point ?

Studio Six: Amp: $4k. Nicer tubes: $1k.
Schiit Toastr: $600. Nicer tubes $4k. :sweat_smile:

Perfect for the serious Schiit head who has spent multiple-times the cost of their Vali/2/Valhalla/2/Lyr/3 on tubes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #66,767 of 150,704
i suspect that as Schiit prepares to move some equipment / component inventory for the mini products to the Texas facility, that there will be some older ancient products (like a Fulla gen 1, loki DSD DAC) on b-stock.
I'm like a hungry trout... just... under... the water... And a tasty fly landed on the surface. Hmmmm... kind of sharp taste to it (I'm hooked).

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #66,768 of 150,704

Perfect for the serious Schiit head who has spent multiple-times the cost of their Vali/2/Valhalla/2/Lyr/3 on tubes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
...but will it play Crysis? Aaaaaand where is my RGB lighting. And my VU meters... tsk.... :ksc75smile:

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #66,769 of 150,704
How about an insane 10-tube all-tube headphone amp? It's something I'm playing around with. Of course, it would be about 10x the price of a Vali 2+. And it currently isn't ready for prime time (too much hummmmmmmmm...but fixable.) Still not sure I want to bring it to production.

IMG_0899.jpeg

Hard to improve Valhalla 2 without adding a bunch of cost. Or hybridizing. And then what's the point? It's supposed to be an affordable pure tube amp.

DC Heaters???

Alex

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #66,770 of 150,704

@Ripper2860 , he's referring to you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #66,771 of 150,704

So are you saying all the cost is in the packaging? Looks like you can go to 300x and still have a market.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #66,774 of 150,704
I am now the proud owner of a Lyr 3 Bifrost 2 combo. I've been listening via a pair of Drop HD 6XX's for the past hour or so and I'm thoroughly impressed. This is my first headphone and headphone amp. Decided to go with a new production Tung Sol 6SN7GTB rather than install the stock JJ 6SN7. Bifost 2 is connected to my Widows PC via USB cable.

I now understand why some reviewer's of the HD 6XX's refer to them as having an "inside your head" presentation.

Everything is new, so will take a bit for things to settle-in. I had some 2" square rubber and cork isolation pads that I put between the Bifrost 2 and the Lyr 3 to help dissipate heat. Not a lot of heat per se but I'm sure the extra space between them doesn't hurt.

Currently listening to Joni Mitchell's 1976 album Hejira. Vocals and guitars on this are gorgeous.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #66,775 of 150,704
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #66,776 of 150,704
As for the 10 tube amp: Add VU meters and it could set a new Schiit sales record!! :D

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #66,777 of 150,704
I am now the proud owner of a Lyr 3 Bifrost 2 combo. I've been listening via a pair of Drop HD 6XX's for the past hour or so and I'm thoroughly impressed. This is my first headphone and headphone amp. Decided to go with a new production Tung Sol 6SN7GTB rather than install the stock JJ 6SN7. Bifost 2 is connected to my Widows PC via USB cable.

I now understand why some reviewer's of the HD 6XX's refer to them as having an "inside your head" presentation.

Everything is new, so will take a bit for things to settle-in. I had some 2" square rubber and cork isolation pads that I put between the Bifrost 2 and the Lyr 3 to help dissipate heat. Not a lot of heat per se but I'm sure the extra space between them doesn't hurt.

Currently listening to Joni Mitchell's 1976 album Hejira. Vocals and guitars on this are gorgeous.

congrats.

From what I have read, Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 are good enough to work with the $1K-$3k tier of headphones (should you travel further down the rabbit hole, change out the cans first). IMO, beware of "upgrade" aftermarket headphone cables that cost as much as the phones themselves.

if the 6XX's are new also, a few hours of electronica or something like that thru the headphones at moderate volumes will help them break them in, and the sound should open up a bit. i would also advise smaller but equally tall rubber feet, the cork traps the heat at the contact surfaces.

aside: this thread gets crazy sometimes (if you haven't already noticed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ). on occasion it even covers audio related matters, mostly in response to Jason's posts.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #66,778 of 150,704
if the 6XX's are new also, a few hours of electronica or something like that thru the headphones at moderate volumes will help them break them in, and the sound should open up a bit. i would also advise smaller but equally tall rubber feet, the cork traps the heat at the contact surfaces.

Yes, the 6XX's are also new. Good suggestion. I have an Ayre enhancement system CD. It contains tracks of brown, pink and white noise, in/out-of-phase brown noise and two tracks containing glide tones (5Hz to 20kHz). I suppose I could try playing that thru. The isolation feet look like these but I purchased them somewhere else:

https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Equipment-Tuneful-Cables-Audiophile/dp/B076DGD3X2

I thought about getting some Herbie's

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #66,780 of 150,704
Yes, the 6XX's are also new. Good suggestion. I have an Ayre enhancement system CD. It contains tracks of brown, pink and white noise, in/out-of-phase brown noise and two tracks containing glide tones (5Hz to 20kHz). I suppose I could try playing that thru. The isolation feet look like these but I purchased them somewhere else:

https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Equipment-Tuneful-Cables-Audiophile/dp/B076DGD3X2

I thought about getting some Herbie's

pink noise sounds good for the HP break-in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back