Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 28, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #66,272 of 154,080
He later notes that Mac users must be using MacOS 10.10.X or above but throws in the comment "Bad Apple for not having a solution, and bad Schiit for not having any “workaround” other than “Perhaps it’s time for a new computer...”

Unison USB™ should be supported by any modern OS that supports UAC2 (the universal, accepted standard for USB audio). This should go back far before OS10.10. I expect this may be a computer-specific problem. I've had Macs with wonky USB ports and/or SMC/PRAM reset problems.

But then again, I don't know if we've tested beyond 10.10, because any Apple computer less than about 11 years old can update to 10.10. According to Apple, this is what works with 10.10:

MacBook introduced in 2009 or later, plus MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)​
MacBook Air introduced in late 2008 or later​
MacBook Pro introduced in mid 2007 or later​
Mac mini introduced in early 2009 or later​
iMac introduced in mid 2007 or later​
Mac Pro introduced in early 2008 or later​
Xserve models introduced in early 2009​

And, for the completists, this is what is published on every Unison USB product FAQ:

So what platforms does your Unison USB input support?
Actually, the question should be “What platforms support your Unison USB input?” since our Unison USB input is 100% UAC2 compliant (that is, USB Audio Class 2, the accepted standard for USB audio transmission.) So, here you go:
  • Linux. As in, most popular streamers, from the Sonore MicroRendu to the Salk Streamer. Note “most.” Also most Linux distros that support UAC2 natively will be plug and play. Please note that we cannot provide detailed technical support for Linux.
  • Windows 10. Yes, Windows 10 only. We don’t provide UAC2 drivers for earlier versions of Windows, sorry. Yes, it is time to step into the present (not the future, Windows 10 has been out for a couple of years now.) Yes, it is time to upgrade. Yes, it’s worth it. Windows 10 is actually a very nice platform.
  • Mac OSX. From 10.10 on up, Macs are good to go. Sometimes you’ll run into power management problems that will require you to turn off App Nap. Got an older version of MacOS? See the comments on Windows above. Time to upgrade. The software is free.
  • iOS. From iOS7 on up, iOS devices work with USB Camera Connection Kit, Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, a Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, or directly with the new USB-C models.
  • Android. Most Android devices that shipped with Android M or above will work using a USB OTG cable. Some may require separate player software, like USB Audio Player Pro.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 28, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #66,273 of 154,080
Unison USB™ should be supported by any modern OS that supports UAC2 (the universal, accepted standard for USB audio). This should go back far before OS10.10. I expect this may be a computer-specific problem. I've had Macs with wonky USB ports and/or SMC/PRAM reset problems.

But then again, I don't know if we've tested beyond 10.10, because any Apple computer less than about 11 years old can update to 10.10. According to Apple, this is what works with 10.10:

MacBook introduced in 2009 or later, plus MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)​
MacBook Air introduced in late 2008 or later​
MacBook Pro introduced in mid 2007 or later​
Mac mini introduced in early 2009 or later​
iMac introduced in mid 2007 or later​
Mac Pro introduced in early 2008 or later​
Xserve models introduced in early 2009​

And, for the completists, this is what is published on every Unison USB product FAQ:

So what platforms does your Unison USB input support?
Actually, the question should be “What platforms support your Unison USB input?” since our Unison USB input is 100% UAC2 compliant (that is, USB Audio Class 2, the accepted standard for USB audio transmission.) So, here you go:
  • Linux. As in, most popular streamers, from the Sonore MicroRendu to the Salk Streamer. Note “most.” Also most Linux distros that support UAC2 natively will be plug and play. Please note that we cannot provide detailed technical support for Linux.
  • Windows 10. Yes, Windows 10 only. We don’t provide UAC2 drivers for earlier versions of Windows, sorry. Yes, it is time to step into the present (not the future, Windows 10 has been out for a couple of years now.) Yes, it is time to upgrade. Yes, it’s worth it. Windows 10 is actually a very nice platform.
  • Mac OSX. From 10.10 on up, Macs are good to go. Sometimes you’ll run into power management problems that will require you to turn off App Nap. Got an older version of MacOS? See the comments on Windows above. Time to upgrade. The software is free.
  • iOS. From iOS7 on up, iOS devices work with USB Camera Connection Kit, Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, a Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, or directly with the new USB-C models.
  • Android. Most Android devices that shipped with Android M or above will work using a USB OTG cable. Some may require separate player software, like USB Audio Player Pro.

Seems like the author I quoted should have reached out to you for clarification before publishing. My apologies if I contributed to any confusion.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #66,277 of 154,080
my jot and bifrost 2 stacked together get quite hot. will serve as a great hand warmer while listening to music this winter lol
consider adding some taller feet, to put half to 3/4 inch gap (12-20mm) between them. cooler running = longer operating life, lower noise floor.

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #66,279 of 154,080
I actually bought that curious cable for my main system of Sonore MicroRendu to Gumby, but its salty for an inexpensive Schiit Stack. I did find Moon Audio Black Dragon USB 1ft for $90. I was hoping to go less than that. I checked Blue Jeans, but they don't do USB.
Kitsune Hifi also makes a very short USB cable (0.18 m / 7"), but it's stiff and so short that it might just not be possible to align the connectors as needed. And it's $80.
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/kte-premium-usb/

Wireworld makes 0.6 m / 20" long USB cables. The Chroma 8 A to B in that length comes in at $28, but of course you can spend more for better materials.
https://store.wireworldcable.com/co...usb-2-0-audio-cables-1?variant=21399017324628

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #66,280 of 154,080
11.8 inches long for € 1,12

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

Or 7.8 inch length with 90 degree connectors € 2,00 each

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg2.jpg

And lots more, all on AliExpress

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #66,281 of 154,080
Back before scanning and e-mailing, I used to be able to write upside-down and backwards fairly proficiently. It was a good skill to have when marking up drawings during a face-to-face meeting. Yet another old school thing gone be the wayside.
How did you drink coffee during those meetings?

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #66,282 of 154,080
my jot and bifrost 2 stacked together get quite hot. will serve as a great hand warmer while listening to music this winter lol
We're also getting the cooler weather over here (at the Centre of the Universe [sorry for the jab, BlackDragon... I'm an ex-BC dude... and I still miss the mountains]). My Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 do get toasty warm too. If there's one criticism I have of Schiit amplifiers, it's the amount of wasted heat released and the company's decision to use the entire chasis as a heat-sink. Hot (volume) knobs are a turn off for me.
............ Nope, I'm not going THERE.

I wish they had installed a bunch of cooling fins at the back of their cheaper amps (which, I'm guessing would have increased their prices exponentially). After watching Schiits' recent Q-and-A sessions (and learning more about DSP chipsets [that are designed to just decode/process/mess-around-with audio]), I gather their Unison USB interface will reduce operating temperatures too. In my biassed mind = heat + electronics = reduced lifespan.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #66,283 of 154,080
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #66,284 of 154,080
Very excited to have my Schiit mini stack. Looks like I should have gone Magni 3 in Silver instead of Magni Heresy in Black.

But I'll be running a Raspberry Pi in the Silver Flirc Case, Schiit Wyred, Modi MultiBit and Magni Heresy.

Anyone know where I can find a short decent USB cable? Need like 1ft. Most seem to be 1 meter or close.
I found generic 6" long USB A -> USB micro on Amazon, but I don't have a link. I've not looked for a short USB A -> USB B yet, but others have posted links.

Two out of the three pieces in my current rig have been discontinued by Schiit. Will the Vali 2 be next? :worried:
So you're the one responsible.

How did you drink coffee during those meetings?
At that time I didn't drink coffee. At that time I was a youngster in a team of youngsters so my free hand was kept busy defending myself from wads of paper being thrown around the conference room. This was long before Google introduced beach balls, frisbees and hacky-sacks to the work place.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #66,285 of 154,080
Lately I have been sent a bunch of stuff to test and review from several sources around the country....and world.

Recently I had a few amps in house and seeing how I am a Schiit fan and love the products s Schiit puts out at a IMO decent cost...I wanted to share a few simple observations on a few of these amps:

This is not to disparage any other product, just a light on some things that are important to "me" and might be to "you"....

One thing I really like is Schiit using logarithmic pots for the volume control. From the days of using audio taper pots or linear taper pots, and with very sensitive devices not being able to get out of the lower portion of the pot and having low level tracking issues, its nice to use log pots. In the Magni 3 I noticed this as well with the new Asgard 3, Lyr 3. etc.

In one of the Jason interviews floating around I think he mentions that the custom Alps pots have a particular taper....to more closley match the human ear?

IMO this is one of those small things we take for granted....and when I review stuff I immediately notice this....

There are a bunch of amps that have tons of power, "to drive those hard to drive headphones" 6 watts, 8 watts, 10, watts, 12 watts, 24 watts!!

One of these I had here recently was a Soundaware P1.

In testing I use Hifi Man Susvaras, HEDD Headphone, Focal Clear and Meze Emperyean and HD600's.

Notice the volume knob position, this is with Focal Clears and HD600's....I could not get any higher even using the "LOW" gain setting .....

p1.jpg

The below is with using harder to drive HEDD headphones...still on the low end of travel, LOW gain.

p2.jpg

As an aside, the P1 has a power switch on the "back!" 😊, and the gain switch on the back as well...really hard to get at easily with the cables connected!

Here's is a different high power amp the Monolith Liquid Platinum:

Same issue with the pot travel...HEDDs attached at a LOUD listening level. No slectable gain with this amp....

p3.jpg

Again all these other amps are nice products its just these small things often go un-noticed and with amps like the P1 for $1500 I would hope for a better look at these things.

On the other side on some amps with log pots and if your coming from a non-log pot amp....it might seem like hey this amp is underpowered because I have to turn up the volume more to get that same sound level...

So myhats off to Schitt for the small things like this....we often complain about the switch in the back, the bright LED on the front, etc....often Schitt listens and things like a simple useage of a log pot.....makes a big difference to "me"...

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back