Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 19, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #63,541 of 151,231
re: Corvettes aren't expensive. In fact they are cheap by high-end sports car standards. Rather than compare to trucks, try comparing the price to a comparable vehicle from Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. The new Corvette can be had (if they were not sold out) for under $100K. The new turbo 911 starts at $205K.
$100k? I added lots of bells to mine and it's not even close to $100K. I was pining for a "dream car" as I head towards sedate car years, but none of my favs (Astons for example) are practical day cars and I am not interested in a garage queen.

The C8 starts - genuinely - at $60K and even though Chevy have acquired European motor disease (light in the engine $1k, sir, body color intakes, $1K sir, etc., etc.) they are hard to ramp up in the way the Euro cars do - I'm looking at you Porsche. A friends Boxster - albeit well spec'd - cost more than myC8 (well, will, when they build it).

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #63,542 of 151,231
LOL, no scratchy, no itchy, just clicky?
IandS.png
Thanks, but that is easier said than done in the USA.
www.audiogon.com

In my experience, Corvette insurance is lower than pretty much anything comparable. Let's be frank: at least to date, most are driven by old doods and spend an inordinate amount of time in a garage being rubbed by a diaper. The current Corvette is our least expensive car to insure (lower than a Camaro ZL1 and Rina's Wrangler, which is the most expensive car we have to insure).

But yeah, if I lived where it snowed, I would move...er, I mean, I would probably not choose a Corvette as a daily driver. Though I did drive my '98 convertible back from Chicago in the middle of an ice storm through the midwest. That was, er, not fun.
I wonder if Ferris Bueller drives a Corvette now? Maybe Cameron's dad replaced his Ferrari with one?

My brother was driving from CA to IA early one January when his car's driver's window crashed into the door somewhere in NV. He finished the trip with the window open (so to speak).

Cost is only an issue for those who can't afford to pay the bill, and there are plenty of lower cost vehicles that they can purchase. Hell, my high-end golf cart Tesla cost more than a Vette...
Or those who spend their time envious. I think Corvettes are expensive because the car I drive isn't a high enough priority for me to make one worth it. But then I'm sure I spend money on stuff that would make others laugh.

Why the F are we grilling Jason about buying a Corvette? He owns a company that makes us happy with affordable gear.

Jason, I hope you also have a big boat, a summer house and a place in the mountains.
Not grilling, just discussing priorities. But don't get him started down the path toward a boat or a summer house. He'd have to increase the price of the Magnius to $205. :)

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #63,543 of 151,231
$100k? I added lots of bells to mine and it's not even close to $100K. I was pining for a "dream car" as I head towards sedate car years, but none of my favs (Astons for example) are practical day cars and I am not interested in a garage queen.

The C8 starts - genuinely - at $60K and even though Chevy have acquired European motor disease (light in the engine $1k, sir, body color intakes, $1K sir, etc., etc.) they are hard to ramp up in the way the Euro cars do - I'm looking at you Porsche. A friends Boxster - albeit well spec'd - cost more than myC8 (well, will, when they build it).
Indeed. A colleague in Texas bought a DB11 in 2018 and he was out the door at about the same price as a 3 BR house in some parts of the country. But he could afford it and it was what he wanted and it is one of the most beautiful pieces of rolling art I have ever seen. And it sounds really nice from the passenger seat... So it's all about priorities, desires and income levels.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #63,546 of 151,231
Indeed. A colleague in Texas bought a DB11 in 2018 and he was out the door at about the same price as a 3 BR house in some parts of the country. But he could afford it and it was what he wanted and it is one of the most beautiful pieces of rolling art I have ever seen. And it sounds really nice from the passenger seat... So it's all about priorities, desires and income levels.
I used to work for a really, really successful trial lawyer who had one of the higher end Aston Martins (as well as several Porsches and Ferraris). I only rode along once in that thing, but I will always remember that engine note. It’s like Eddie Van Halen’s signature distortion tone.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #63,548 of 151,231
Guys, to clear up a couple of things:

1. Corvettes aren't expensive. I bought my first new one in 1993. This was before Centric and wayyyyyy before Schiit. Consider that it's very easy to option up a new full-size pickup or large SUV to higher-than-Corvette prices.

I'm a motorcycle guy not a car guy so haven't really kept up to date on pricing. My wife and I were car free from 1999 to 2018 when we purchased a 19 year old Acura TL. I was quite surprised when I saw that the Corvette started at around $68,000 CDN. I was expecting it to be much more. People in my part of the world spend that on pick up trucks and SUVs all the time. Enjoy your new car, I would suspect that the first of a new generation would hold it's value quite well.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #63,550 of 151,231
I was going to mention the median US wage is around $40K/yr for perspective but then I remembered I've spent over $10K on my stereo. :beerchug:

Once you get out of the lower class income threshold it all becomes choices and where you want to spend your rupees. I'm on the bottom end of middle class, and I might even slip into lower class when my 3rd child is born.

My brothers shake their heads when they hear how much money I have spent on audio. But... I don't spend 100 a week at a bar or 100 a week dining out..so you calculate that over 3 years and it's 15,600. And I haven't even spent close to that... Consider what folks spend on cell service, streaming services, other subscriptions, online shopping, etc. Do that and its relatively easy to spend money on items of your choosing. We own our two cars outright, and I will likely buy a C8 someday. Probably used as I can literally piss into Canada if I'm out on a bike ride....our winters are brutal.

I have an uncle who once complained to me he couldn't afford groceries..... I asked him how much he spent on cell service..... He told me it was almost 400 dollars......that was a necessity.....food wasn't apparently..... I know he's not the only person whose priorities make me do a double take before shaking my head.....

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #63,551 of 151,231
This entire discussion is beyond stupid. Why tf is anyone judging what someone does with their money or how they run their company?
Isn't the whole point of the thread to discuss schiit's business? I simply think they've gone too cheap, not that I am complaining OR know What I am talking about. Judging from the market Magnius and Modius are underpriced imo.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #63,552 of 151,231
These crazy-mad engineers have been purposeful disruptors from the beginning.

And we're all benefitting from that.
There's disruption and then there is revolution. Call me a insipid fanboy but the prices are so low on these last two its almost as though they could supply other manufacturers and save them money on production.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #63,553 of 151,231
In general, there is no such thing as some product being underpriced unless the manufacturer is losing money on it, and there is no such thing as something being overpriced unless no consumer buys it. That's how consumer economics works. The complaints and criticisms usually come from people who disagree with pricing decisions for whatever reason, but as long as the company is making those decisions based on their knowledge of their business and their customer base, those critics do not know what they are talking about.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #63,554 of 151,231
Corvettes are the Schiit of the car industry. World-class performance at attainable prices.

I have always shot for making audio equipment that is analogous to Corvettes and Camaros. Yes, this is a conscious decision. As is the decision to spend my money where I make it. For example, if I want a fast, luxurious 4-door car, I'm buying a Tesla, not a Mercedes.

There's disruption and then there is revolution. Call me a insipid fanboy but the prices are so low on these last two its almost as though they could supply other manufacturers and save them money on production.

As I've said before, it's better to ask why others are so expensive, especially when a lot of them are not made in the insanely-expensive state of California.

I have been told many times by other companies and members of the press that we could charge a lot more for our products. I don't understand this--the mentality of "charging what the market will bear." We will always charge a standard (and hopefully fair) margin for our products.

Yes, we will be moving some of the smaller products to Texas at least partly for this reason, but not at the cost of staffing in California. And even that is more a decision to spread business risk--the only product we are super-lean on is Asgard 3, but it's not lean enough to be too painful yet.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back