Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 19, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #63,571 of 151,179
The C8 starts - genuinely - at $60K and even though Chevy have acquired European motor disease (light in the engine $1k, sir, body color intakes, $1K sir, etc., etc.) they are hard to ramp up in the way the Euro cars do - I'm looking at you Porsche. A friends Boxster - albeit well spec'd - cost more than myC8 (well, will, when they build it).

Porsche is a special case and their options list is notoriously long and very expensive. You could option up a 987 Boxster to over $100k, which was crazy back in the day (mid aughts). They've also been the most profitable car company in the world by a wide margin for a while. But fortunes change quickly in the car business: they were about to go out of business before they introduced the Cayenne.

I purposefully bought a 1966 427/450 Corvette (early 427/425 for the pedants) after totalling a Viper (10 years before Schiit, so don't start beating me up about that purchase either). This is a car that will spin 180 on the freeway if you stand on it in 3rd gear. It is very, very dangerous. I bought it to teach me respect. It seems to have worked fairly well. Not a terrible investment either, if that's what floats your boat.

I believe as a proportion of the number of cars produced, Vipers have been totaled the most of any car out there: I've seen guesses of about 15-20% of them being totaled.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #63,572 of 151,179
The only opposite of a transducer is a microphone as it does 100% exactly the same thing a transducer does. The process from air movement to electrical voltage/current and vise-versa. A record has nothing to do with that process it is just indeed a weak part in the audio chain. Only a microphone can be compared to the difficult job a transducer has, the overcoming of the enormous resistance of air mass.

A transducer is anything that converts energy in one domain to another, so speakers, mics, and record cartridges are all transducers.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #63,573 of 151,179
We've started to get our first inquiries from companies looking to "help" us with capital/management/oversight/etc. I answer all of these emails with the same one-liner: "Nah, doneedno money, got plenty of our own, having too much fun, go away." They usually react in a nonplussed manner. I don't know why. I think it's a very corporate email. I didn't even use any bad words.
In my experience with capital investment companies that sort of "help" is usually a prelude to exploitation, so I applaud your position.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #63,577 of 151,179
Isn't the whole point of the thread to discuss schiit's business? I simply think they've gone too cheap, not that I am complaining OR know What I am talking about. Judging from the market Magnius and Modius are underpriced imo.

I disagree, we're here to discuss Schiit's products although we do go down a rabbit hole or two, or three.If you want to discuss Schiit's business and their business acumen then let's start another thread rather than hijacking this one. But that's my $0.02.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #63,578 of 151,179
The real purpose of this thread is for Jason Stoddard to have a blog space. That he allows/tolerates the rest of us talking Schiit is another plus in his column in my opinion. :)

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #63,579 of 151,179
I disagree, we're here to discuss Schiit's products although we do go down a rabbit hole or two, or three.If you want to discuss Schiit's business and their business acumen then let's start another thread rather than hijacking this one. But that's my $0.02.

This may be what the thread has become. But it started as a place for Jason to publish his experiences as an audio entrepreneur. Certainly, talking business model and acumen is more in keeping with the thread’s origins than obsessing over individual products.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #63,580 of 151,179
Guys, to clear up a couple of things:

1. Corvettes aren't expensive. I bought my first new one in 1993. This was before Centric and wayyyyyy before Schiit. Consider that it's very easy to option up a new full-size pickup or large SUV to higher-than-Corvette prices.

2. Making inexpensive gear isn't hard, not even in California. It just has to be efficient to make and designed without a gross amount of chassis bling. And you have to make it in large quantities. And you have to take a reasonable, consistent margin across all products. That's it. No magic.

3. As we get more efficient, prices may come down on inexpensive products, while at the same time we may experiment with higher-priced, shoot-the-moon products. For example, I had no idea we would have such a success with Freya+. Yes, this is high priced. To us. We may try a few other things in the $1XXX range, and see how they do.

In short, we're doing fine (except last year, where we overbuilt), and we aren't in this for too much money or too little money. Schiit will continue doing what Schiit does. I'll continue buying cars from time to time. We'll make some people happy, and others will move on. And the world will continue to spin.

Schiit Audio is the reason I was able to afford getting into headphone audio way back when. For that I will forever be grateful.

Schiit proved that there was a market for affordable gear, and many competitors have popped up since then. I will stick with Schiit for being the trailblazer.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #63,581 of 151,179
Got in the connectors today to build my xlr cables for Modius to Magnius. Still tons of noise with USB Modius->Magnius->Vidar even using balanced cables, so it looks like I'm sticking with Eitr in the chain. I am very happy with how tiny I was able to make the cables to help with my cable management. They're about 9" cable end to cable end.
IMG_20200819_161819.jpg

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #63,582 of 151,179
Got in the connectors today to build my xlr cables for Modius to Magnius. Still tons of noise with USB Modius->Magnius->Vidar even using balanced cables, so it looks like I'm sticking with Eitr in the chain. I am very happy with how tiny I was able to make the cables to help with my cable management. They're about 9" cable end to cable end.
IMG_20200819_161819.jpg

Eitr sounds better than Unison?

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #63,585 of 151,179
2. Making inexpensive gear isn't hard, not even in California. It just has to be efficient to make and designed without a gross amount of chassis bling. And you have to make it in large quantities. And you have to take a reasonable, consistent margin across all products. That's it. No magic.

And, my favorite part, the selling-direct-without-the-middleman-markup part. I wish all the car companies did that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back