Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 19, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #63,526 of 151,209
Jason says alot of things. The value he does though is stupid. Schiit hates profit.

They’ve just chosen to make smaller profits on larger numbers of units. Standard economic theory suggests this is perfectly normal, and indeed, it’s the rest of the industry that seems aberrant—a neverending stream of products that are priced to provide a big score, because they really, really need a big score on this one, because of the other products that didn’t quite sell enough.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #63,528 of 151,209
They’ve just chosen to make smaller profits on larger numbers of units. Standard economic theory suggests this is perfectly normal, and indeed, it’s the rest of the industry that seems aberrant—a neverending stream of products that are priced to provide a big score, because they really, really need a big score on this one, because of the other products that didn’t quite sell enough.
You can maximize profit margin or market share. I am personally thankful that Schiit is going for market share (units sold at fair margin)

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #63,529 of 151,209
Guys, to clear up a couple of things:

1. Corvettes aren't expensive. I bought my first new one in 1993. This was before Centric and wayyyyyy before Schiit. Consider that it's very easy to option up a new full-size pickup or large SUV to higher-than-Corvette prices.

2. Making inexpensive gear isn't hard, not even in California. It just has to be efficient to make and designed without a gross amount of chassis bling. And you have to make it in large quantities. And you have to take a reasonable, consistent margin across all products. That's it. No magic.

3. As we get more efficient, prices may come down on inexpensive products, while at the same time we may experiment with higher-priced, shoot-the-moon products. For example, I had no idea we would have such a success with Freya+. Yes, this is high priced. To us. We may try a few other things in the $1XXX range, and see how they do.

In short, we're doing fine (except last year, where we overbuilt), and we aren't in this for too much money or too little money. Schiit will continue doing what Schiit does. I'll continue buying cars from time to time. We'll make some people happy, and others will move on. And the world will continue to spin.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #63,530 of 151,209
Hmm, maybe Corvettes aren't considered that expensive in areas like California, where the chance of snow is slim. But here in Pennsylvania, they are kind of expensive, as you have to have another daily driver for the winter at least. That and insurance is usually higher than those more expensive trucks. Not to mention having to insure two vehicles. I've been thinking about buying a used late model C6, but the insurance of a second vehicle is making me think long and hard.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #63,531 of 151,209
re: Corvettes aren't expensive. In fact they are cheap by high-end sports car standards. Rather than compare to trucks, try comparing the price to a comparable vehicle from Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. The new Corvette can be had (if they were not sold out) for under $100K. The new turbo 911 starts at $205K.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #63,532 of 151,209
Hmm, maybe Corvettes aren't considered that expensive in areas like California, where the chance of snow is slim. But here in Pennsylvania, they are kind of expensive, as you have to have another daily driver for the winter at least. That and insurance is usually higher than those more expensive trucks. Not to mention having to insure two vehicles. I've been thinking about buying a used late model C6, but the insurance of a second vehicle is making me think long and hard.

If you factor in cost of living and insurance in LA vs most parts of PA, the difference may be less.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #63,533 of 151,209
In my experience, Corvette insurance is lower than pretty much anything comparable. Let's be frank: at least to date, most are driven by old doods and spend an inordinate amount of time in a garage being rubbed by a diaper. The current Corvette is our least expensive car to insure (lower than a Camaro ZL1 and Rina's Wrangler, which is the most expensive car we have to insure).

But yeah, if I lived where it snowed, I would move...er, I mean, I would probably not choose a Corvette as a daily driver. Though I did drive my '98 convertible back from Chicago in the middle of an ice storm through the midwest. That was, er, not fun.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #63,535 of 151,209
My billionaire ex-boss (now retired) who owns multiple Ferraris and used a Turbo Carrera as his work car called Corvettes the "blue collar Lambo." And that was before the current model which resembles an Italian supercar.

Cost is only an issue for those who can't afford to pay the bill, and there are plenty of lower cost vehicles that they can purchase. Hell, my high-end golf cart Tesla cost more than a Vette...

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #63,536 of 151,209
Making inexpensive gear isn't hard, not even in California. It just has to be efficient to make and designed without a gross amount of chassis bling. And you have to make it in large quantities. And you have to take a reasonable, consistent margin across all products. That's it. No magic.

To us, there kind of is. I don’t think I could ever thank you enough for making the Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim in their size and current price points. A perfect fit for both my desk and my wallet, and an endless stream of eargasms.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #63,538 of 151,209
@Jason Stoddard so sad you have to write a post about buying a car (whatever make or model or price). Some things and some people never change even in 21st century. Have great fun and enjoy your car. Hope you enjoy it as much or even more than I enjoy your gear.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #63,539 of 151,209
Why the F are we grilling Jason about buying a Corvette? He owns a company that makes us happy with affordable gear.

Jason, I hope you also have a big boat, a summer house and a place in the mountains.
Agreed. It is his money. He can do what he likes. I suspect that he did not take a loan out either as he has mentioned his feelings on financing in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back