Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #63,347 of 150,883
Mostly a lurker here, but wanted to ask some n00b questions about pairing speakers with Schiit gear. My Bifrost 2/Jotunheim combo is very satisfying on my desktop driving multiple cans and a pair of active speakers, but I am moving house and want to take a dive into deeper waters. I've been considering upgrading my main system speakers to the Elac Debut Reference floorstanding model. Specs:

Frequency Response: 42Hz – 35000Hz
Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
Sensitivity: 87db @ 2.83v/1m
Crossover Frequency: 90Hz/2200Hz
Max Power Input: 140 Watts

A few questions for the seasoned vets here:

- I like the idea of the Ragnarok as an all-in-one speaker amp solution, but should I consider Aegir/Vidar instead? If so, which one is better paired with these speakers and why? Can a single unit handle both, or is it better to run two monos?
- If going Aegir/Vidar, I imagine running a Freya+ as a pre would be the best option?
- As a Bifrost 2 owner, is upgrading to Gungnir or Yggdrasil going to noticeably different so as to be worth the extra cash?

I am doing some research on pairing amps and speakers, but figured the brain trust here could steer me in the right general direction.

Thanks! D

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #63,348 of 150,883
Mostly a lurker here, but wanted to ask some n00b questions about pairing speakers with Schiit gear. My Bifrost 2/Jotunheim combo is very satisfying on my desktop driving multiple cans and a pair of active speakers, but I am moving house and want to take a dive into deeper waters. I've been considering upgrading my main system speakers to the Elac Debut Reference floorstanding model. Specs:

- I like the idea of the Ragnarok as an all-in-one speaker amp solution, but should I consider Aegir/Vidar instead? If so, which one is better paired with these speakers and why? Can a single unit handle both, or is it better to run two monos?
- If going Aegir/Vidar, I imagine running a Freya+ as a pre would be the best option?
- As a Bifrost 2 owner, is upgrading to Gungnir or Yggdrasil going to noticeably different so as to be worth the extra cash?

I am doing some research on pairing amps and speakers, but figured the brain trust here could steer me in the right general direction.

Thanks! D

Couple of thoughts:
  • Those are nice speakers, but they work best with lots of power (like most Andrew Jones-designed speakers). Frankly the bookshelf model is probably the better bargain, and you really wouldn't lose much at all going with those instead.
  • An Aegir (or Aegirs in monoblock mode) wouldn't be a very good match because of their sensitivity and other characteristics. Haven't heard them with a Vidar, but that would probably work pretty well. Not sure you'd gain enough to compensate for the extra cost of monoblock Vidars.
  • Not sure how a Rag - Elac combo would sound, but maybe someone here has some experience with that pairing?
  • A Freya S might actually be the better preamp. Debut References are already laid back on their own, and not sure a Freya+ would add enough to compensate for the difference in cost. Now if you were getting Klipsch speakers, a Freya+ and a couple of Aegirs would definitely make a positive difference.
  • The choice of DAC is really up to your own ears. You may or may not notice enough difference to justify a threefold bump in cost (I'd hazard a guess not, unless you have very rare golden ears).
  • What will your source(s) be?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #63,349 of 150,883
He doesn’t, though. He writes for Analog Planet. Not the same.
Scroll to the bottom of Analog Planet and see that Stereophile and Analog planet are both part of the same media conglomerate and are all hyperlinked together. But, technically, you are correct.

Screen Shot 1.png

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #63,350 of 150,883

Thanks! D
I wouldn't consider myself a seasoned vet, but I can give you some help only because my speakers (SVSound Ultra Bookshelf) have the exact same sensitivity. My Vidar powers them easily at reasonable listening volumes, but I have hit the thermal protection once while listening absurdly loudly for an extended period of time. I personally wouldn't use an amp with lower power than the roughly 100wpc of a Vidar, but if you don't ever listen loudly, you'd be fine. You technically have 5 options:
1) Ragnarok (60wpc)
2) Aegir (20wpc)
3) Aegir x2 (80wpc)
4) Vidar (100wpc)
5) Vidar x2 (400wpc)

I think any except the single Aegir would provide plenty of power.

Edit: this is all off because those are 6ohm speakers, so ignore it. You should have like 50% (I think) more power for 6ohm speakers, so it should still be accurateish, But I think the Aegir and Vidar aren't specced for monoblock mode less than 8ohm, so there could be some issues at high listening volumes.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #63,351 of 150,883

Thanks! D

one question... your head-fi header lists Yokosuka Japan as your location. is the mains voltage 100V or 120V at your new house?

another consideration is your time frame if going with separate pre and power amps. Freya S is being discontinued (and Jason indicated that stock may run out this week sometime), and Freya + is backordered (out of stock currently) with an estimated re-stock date sometime in October. If choosing this route, then I would recommend starting with one Vidar (you can always add a second for more power at a later time).

since the speakers are rated to 42 Hz on the bottom end, they are likely to work fine with Ragnarok 2, which should deliver ~80W into the 6 ohm load. Note that Ragnarok 2 is also backordered (est ship date Aug 28).

A single Aegir is likely to be a bit underpowered for those speakers.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #63,352 of 150,883
Couple of thoughts:
  • Those are nice speakers, but they work best with lots of power (like most Andrew Jones-designed speakers). Frankly the bookshelf model is probably the better bargain, and you really wouldn't lose much at all going with those instead.
  • An Aegir (or Aegirs in monoblock mode) wouldn't be a very good match because of their sensitivity and other characteristics. Haven't heard them with a Vidar, but that would probably work pretty well. Not sure you'd gain enough to compensate for the extra cost of monoblock Vidars.
  • Not sure how a Rag - Elac combo would sound, but maybe someone here has some experience with that pairing?
  • A Freya S might actually be the better preamp. Debut References are already laid back on their own, and not sure a Freya+ would add enough to compensate for the difference in cost. Now if you were getting Klipsch speakers, a Freya+ and a couple of Aegirs would definitely make a positive difference.
  • The choice of DAC is really up to your own ears. You may or may not notice enough difference to justify a threefold bump in cost (I'd hazard a guess not, unless you have very rare golden ears).
  • What will your source(s) be?

Thanks for the reply!

Sources are PC/USB, Chromecast audio via optical, and CD transport via coax.

I haven't looked at/listened to Klipsch, but definitely interested in achieving good synergy, even if it means skipping the ELACs for something different. Is the higher sensitivity of the Klipsch the reason the Freya+ and Aegirs work well with it? (I'm literally bouncing around sites learning speaker/amp matching and I feel like I'm back in school with all the math.:smile:)

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #63,353 of 150,883
one question... your head-fi header lists Yokosuka Japan as your location. is the mains voltage 100V or 120V at your new house?

another consideration is your time frame if going with separate pre and power amps. Freya S is being discontinued (and Jason indicated that stock may run out this week sometime), and Freya + is backordered (out of stock currently) with an estimated re-stock date sometime in October. If choosing this route, then I would recommend starting with one Vidar (you can always add a second for more power at a later time).

since the speakers are rated to 42 Hz on the bottom end, they are likely to work fine with Ragnarok 2, which should deliver ~80W into the 6 ohm load. Note that Ragnarok 2 is also backordered (est ship date Aug 28).

The new house is in Virginia Beach. I won't arrive until Oct anyway, so the delays are fine. Thanks for the response!

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #63,355 of 150,883
Thanks for the reply!

I haven't looked at/listened to Klipsch, but definitely interested in achieving good synergy, even if it means skipping the ELACs for something different. Is the higher sensitivity of the Klipsch the reason the Freya+ and Aegirs work well with it? (I'm literally bouncing around sites learning speaker/amp matching and I feel like I'm back in school with all the math.:smile:)

Speakers are by far the most important component of an audio system (unless you're headphone only). Find a pair whose sound signature and other characteristics you like, and go from there. Klipsch and Elac are about as different as similarly sized/priced speakers can be.

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #63,356 of 150,883
@dajokr what headphones are you current using with bifrost 2 / jotunheim. that may help guide recommendations for speakers. in general the klipsch horns will sound much different than conventional dynamic cone speakers.

A pretty wide range - Sennheiser HD800s and HD650, Hifiman Sundara, Focal Elegia, and Meze 99 Classic.

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #63,357 of 150,883
Thanks for the reply!

+1 on Klipsch. I currently have the RP-600M bookshelf speakers and they are a very special, very lively sound to me. Eventually I'd love to jump to a Freya+ and dual Aegirs (to add a bit sweetness to the sound) with a pair of Klipsch RP towers. Though, I'd say the Klipsch sound is something you have to hear before buying into it so getting Klipsch towers (I assume you're thinking about Klisch towers since you're considering the Elac floorstanders) is a risk.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #63,358 of 150,883
At 14, I had a Heathkit "portable" record player. The one below is like the one my sister had, but mine was way, way better -- it was stereo, had detachable speakers with high quality masonite cabinets, and most importantly, it was purple! I assembled it myself without harming any animals or burning the house down, so pride of ownership was quite high. :grinning: :grinning:

Edit: It's a bit of a downer when stuff you had as a kid is now considered a museum piece. :tired_face::tired_face:

What that photograph actually taken with a potato? :joy:

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #63,360 of 150,883
Thanks for the reply!

What kind of music to you listen to, and what do you enjoy the most?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back