Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 19, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #62,056 of 150,656
Schiit N Music

Story / Saturday Night continued; two weeks later.

More of the same (wash, rinse, repeat) except:

Hot muggy; typical summer. Summer disagrees more each year.
Some rain (first big storm rolled through last evening), garden improving. Now picking green beans. Too many, sharing with neighbor.
Planted six late season tomato plants, free plants rooted from suckers.

It is odd the random food/things/stuff that are out of stock.

Taxes filed.

Niece, husband and kids all ache, have fevers and stomach issues. O. Schiit!
Husband tested, results not in. Takes at least 6 days now.

Do I feel safer now than a month ago?
Friends / family want us to visit or do or go ?!@&%.

Schools?

Almost daily FaceTime with our very cute grand daughter.
Keeping in touch with friends and family consumes a lot of time, mostly worth it.
We look forward to "5 o’clock somewhere" FaceTime or Zoom calls. Family (extended) zoom scheduled for tomorrow.

Finished the move to MacBook Pro (Early 2011) for the digital music collection. Clean install of High Sierra and music library moved to a solid state external drive. USB to Unison upgraded Gungnir MB. MacBook Pro USB appears to be more stable than iMac USB. iMac USB was sometimes flakey, tried Wyrd between iMac and Gungnir MB without success, upgraded to Unison. Same issues, Wyrd back in created the most stable iMac option. MacBook Pro is direct to Gungnir MB unison, no Wyrd, USB issues appear to be gone.
Whole house sound operational, no issues with the transition.
Two new external hard drives for back up and photo storage attached to iMac. Back ups (multiple) completed. Yesterday the migration (upgrade?) to Catalina was successful.

Pleased by the Sundara. Driven by the Mjolnir 2 balanced with 6N23P Voskhod Rocket - 1971 tubes. Phones, tubes and ears are getting needed run time.
Also spending time with Sennheiser HD650 single ended from Valhalla 2 running 6N1P-V (6Н1ПВ) OTK Novosibirsk - 1958 - Gold Grid and 6N6P Novosibirsk - Gold Grid & Pin - 1978. Valhalla 2 is sourced from the same Gungnir MB as the Mjolnir 2. This continues to be a favored setup for HD 650.
The small stack Vali 2 is still tubed with the adapted 6H8C Pano (Reflektor Plant) - 1961 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates “Russian Bad Boy”. Beyerdynamic DT880 live here and sound outstanding, no matter the comparison.
Trend with Russian tubes?

The computer maneuvering has me cleaning up the office/headphone room. Several boxes of paperwork are being filed or shredded. Things are being put away.
I realize I have too many portable/transportable headphone kits not being used. When the temperatures eases down, I should work on that.

Enjoying watching the “B” stock come and go. The right item at the right time …

“Thought I'd something more to say”.

Stay safe
&
Enjoy the Schiit N Music

All that and you don't even mention how the new Gungnir MB sounds with Unison?

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #62,057 of 150,656
Schiit happens.
Last week one of my Aegirs stopped working. A click what I thought was protection kicking in, but the amp still played, but much less loud.
I switched the amp of and on and everything was OK again. But after several minutes the volume dropped again this time without a click.
Turned off and on the amp again, but this time the led keeps flashing and the amp doesn't come back in working mode.
Sent an email to Sonority for repair/support request, but so far no answer. Schiit happens.

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #62,058 of 150,656
re your Niece and her household, there is a hydroxchloroquine / z-pak / zinc sulfate treatment regimen for COVID-19 (under the care and supervision of a licensed medical professional or course), but needs to be taken within about 5 days of symptom onset for max effectiveness.
That regimen has been shown not to be effective and may be detrimental. The one thing that appears to be helpful is anticoagulation when there is an oxygen requirement present. If there is a significant elevation in D-dimer level, American Society of Hematology suggests 3 months of anticoagulation.

BTW, about a 30% false negative rate on COVID-19 PCR testing. This appears to be mostly due to lack of technique when obtaining sample. It has to be a posterior nasalpharyngeal swab. Straight back in the nose about 10 cm.

To add more fun to the game, there is an 18% false positive rate on antibody testing. This is due to poor penetrance of the disease in the population. Even though there has been so much misery, we are about 10% of the way to herd immunity. This is essentially a goal that we should not shoot for.

My advice is to wear a mask when leaving the house. Mask AND social distance!

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #62,059 of 150,656
re your Niece and her household, there is a hydroxchloroquine / z-pak / zinc sulfate treatment regimen for COVID-19 (under the care and supervision of a licensed medical professional or course), but needs to be taken within about 5 days of symptom onset for max effectiveness.
Beware that combination has been shown to be ineffective. Talk to a doctor.

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #62,062 of 150,656
Canada should have to pay for any wall built to keep Americans IN the US. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #62,063 of 150,656
My judgement is not harsh, I really liked the country and people I met. It’s just the nature that really appealed to me in those states.
California was nice too, but LA was kind of a schiit hole. My favourite thing in LA was the I-N-Out Burger.

Other than friends, the only 2 things I miss about living in LA is In-N-Out, and my condo on the beach...

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #62,064 of 150,656
All that and you don't even mention how the new Gungnir MB sounds with Unison?

I did not feel I could add anything to the sound quality discussion.

The Gungnir MB was sent back to Schiit for the upgrade. I listened to other stacks / kits during the absence. The main driving force behind upgrading was the iMac USB issue. Sound quality was already great. Unfortunately, the upgrade did not resolve the intermittent USB problem. Sound quality is again great. And now with the PowerBook Pro connected I do not have any USB issues.

The iMac issue was not a quality or audio problem. The computer would randomly not connect to the Gungnir MB. Re-boots, messing with settings, cable changes, switching the Gungnir MB on and off and such would finally get a connection. Once connected it was, for the session, stable and sometimes stable for days. Never could pinpoint what exactly worked. Sometimes it was one thing and then it was another. Once connected it always sounded great.

I cannot say the Unison upgrade changed the sound quality. Too much time elapsed while the DAC was out of service. It sounded great before the upgrade and it sounds great now :wink:

I want to believe that the upgraded system improved SQ, I cannot however state that.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #62,065 of 150,656
I learned long ago that sarcasm often does not translate well between languages, and that far too many Americans are satire-challenged. I blame Bush.
As one other has already said, sarcasm often doesn't translate well in print, either. I blame the PC Crowd for the American Sarcasm Deficiency Syndrome.
(Many do not know that part of re-building the south after the Civil War involved offering of free wireless Internet services to folks south of the Mason-Dixon.)
Now that's funny schiit.
I heard somewhere that John Wilkes Booth came up with the concept of the data cap.
And Lincoln disagreed with the idea. Look what happened then.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #62,067 of 150,656
e your Niece and her household, there is a hydroxchloroquine / z-pak / zinc sulfate treatment regimen for COVID-19 (under the care and supervision of a licensed medical professional or course), but needs to be taken within about 5 days of symptom onset for max effectiveness.
Please don't. It's worthless and so is your advise.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #62,068 of 150,656
easy to joke about it, but if you do get a severe case of COVID-19 with worsening symptoms, then its not so funny. I know of people under 35 who were hospitalized with lung issues from COVID-19 :frowning2:
Then keep your worthless and dangerous advises to yourself.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #62,069 of 150,656
We even have a doctor on-site, if Constanza allows him to come out and play.

JC
Friends.... Please refrain from giving medical advise other than "wear a mask in public, wash your hands often and keep up social distancing" here.
Also; discussions about background science et cetera does not do any good.
It is awful enough that most people here live in the most poorly managed and most affected country in the world.
Ignorance about the the current pandemic virus, political misuse of debatable information and serious lack of compassion for others will give the US A LOT of trouble and will cost a lot more lives.
If someone wants a real scientific discussion for the heck of proving his or her ignorance, by all means PM me.
For last: We will never live in a pandemic free world again. We have been lucky so far that we're met with a mild virus with a mild pathology this time.
That will change and will do so fast. The open "slurp your neighbors postman's tonsils" society we lived in so far is closed for ever.
In the near future with nastier viruses, death will be your punishment for not abiding the social distancing rules even faster than today.
I can only say.
Be careful, wear a mask in public, wash your hands often and keep up social distancing, help others who cannot help themselves. Do not indulge in any therapeutic adventures without the consent of your doctor.
If you can't pay a doctor PM me and I'll give you a simple yes or no on your medical fantasies
I will not debate anyone on this tread other than keeping my eye out for hubris.

Constanza and I wish you the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back