Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #60,181 of 150,720
I had the good fortune of seeing ELP in 1977 when they were on tour with an Orchestra. One piece that was a standout was Keith Emerson's "Piano Concert #1." A monumental concert at Madison Square Garden.
With the crazy raised rotating piano... It was one of my first shows. My sister's boyfriend took me. I couldn't have been more than 15.

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #60,182 of 150,720
Schiit n Music

Story/Saturday Night continued; two weeks later:

More of the same; except — everything changed.

Additionally:
Less rain, more sun & heat/humidity.
The upstairs toilet flush handle chain is repaired.
Garden is looking even better, beens and squash are up. Three golden burley tobacco plants arrived and are in.
Aside: I am not a tobacco smoker so the proceeds of these organically grown plants will most likely not be used. Wife likes the flowers, so I do not top. I will air cure and age.
Food planning and gathering is settling into a routine.
Family and friends are “put out” with us for not opening up more.
My son (living in UK), his wife and my very cute 9 month old granddaughter keep telling us to be careful.
Aside: My son’s required stay and work form home has been wonderful for him. So much family time! He is enjoying every moment.
Modius was announced.

The problem with my Gaggia coffee maker is fixed.
The issue was that #41 O ring was never installed. I am amazed it did not leak a lot sooner.
I had an O ring that fit and helped as a temporary fix. The factory part was ordered, arrived and installed. Problem solved.
I also ordered a bottle of descale and ran that process.
gaggia clip.jpg

The AKG K702 are maybe working out with Jotunheim, defiantly working out with the Lyr (6SN7 adapted) and various vintage.

I do not need a Modius, yet I want one?!

Tomorrow is our 40th wedding anniversary.
We have a great day planned, with brunch, bubbly, snacks and a surf & turf dinner.
And Music!! 40 years of music.
Not what we anticipated for such a momentous event...

Stay safe
&
Enjoy the Schiit n Music

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #60,183 of 150,720
I just got through changing oil in the wife's car (racking up the miles back and forth from the street corner). I'm certainly old enough for car maintenance retirement, but I'm still just cheap. :)

Life’s too short to change your own oil.

And think of all the people you’re throwing out of work!

:wink:

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #60,184 of 150,720
Schiit n Music

Additionally:
Garden is looking even better, beens and squash are up. Three golden burley tobacco plants arrived and are in.
Aside: I am not a tobacco smoker so the proceeds of these organically grown plants will most likely not be used. Wife likes the flowers, so I do not top. I will air cure and age.
My son (living in UK), his wife and my very cute 9 month old granddaughter keep telling us to be careful.
Aside: My son’s forced quarantine and work form home has been wonderful for him. So much family time! He is enjoying every moment.
Modus was announced.

The issue was that #41 O ring was never installed. I am amazed it did not leak a lot sooner.
I had an O ring that fit and helped as a temporary fix. The factory part was ordered, arrived and installed. Problem solved.

The AKG K702 are maybe working out with Jotunheim, defiantly working out with the Lyr (6SN7 adapted) and various vintage.

We have a great day planned, with brunch, bubbly, snacks and a surf & turf dinner.

Stay safe
&
Enjoy the Schiit N Music

congratulations on your 40th!!!

I have K702's also (driven by old Aragon 18K pre or Asgard 2), but got some new planars recently, so now the K702's sound broken in comparison (bottom end missing and/or indistinct vs planars).

re the Gaggia's missing O-ring: on the output side of the pump (high pressure) and didn't leak? is that end standard right-hand thread or something else? I have an old Saeco with similar looking Ulka pump that is beginning to fail (noisy and pressure is inconsistent, but no leaks).

You fixed the upstairs toilet... you deserve the Modius, regardless of the need for another DAC... but maybe wait till AFTER your 40th anniv to order it :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #60,185 of 150,720
congratulations on your 40th!!!

I have K702's also (driven by old Aragon 18K pre or Asgard 2), but got some new planars recently, so now the K702's sound broken in comparison (bottom end missing and/or indistinct vs planars).

re the Gaggia's missing O-ring: on the output side of the pump (high pressure) and didn't leak? is that end standard right-hand thread or something else? I have an old Saeco with similar looking Ulka pump that is beginning to fail (noisy and pressure is inconsistent, but no leaks).

Defiantly have better sounding than the AKG 702, hoping to find some magic synergy. I had to find out for myself about the AKG.

Standard right-hand thread if we are discussing the elbow into the pump where #41 is located.

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #60,187 of 150,720
Defiantly have better sounding than the AKG 702, hoping to find some magic synergy. I had to find out for myself about the AKG.

Standard right-hand thread if we are discussing the elbow into the pump where #41 is located.

For the AKG's consider amplifiers with higher output impedance, e.g. front panel jack on vintage receivers, or maybe an OTL tube amp like a Valhalla 2 :xf_eek:
If I get around to it, I will try making an in-line TRS adapter for the K702's, adding between 30 to 75 ohms series resistance to each hot leg. Should warm the bass up a bit, but will worsen damping factor / tightness. Will post findings if it ever happens.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #60,189 of 150,720
Try playing some Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. ELP turned me onto classical. I still listen to Aaron Copland because of my early love of ELP and prog rock. Plus, it presents classical music with a beat, which makes it easier for non-classical listeners to swallow.

I'd read an interview with Aaron Copeland once, he hated ELP's version of "Fanfare for the Common Man". He said something similar to, "...imagine having to listen to your work, ruined." I happen to like both versions. Actually, ELP's a bit better because of the aforementioned beat. Uncle Aaron's original is so slow. Now, "Rodeo

It was a family reunion, a group photo. It's a shame my Modi 3 wasn't in frame, but he was taking the picture. :camera:

Funny post. You should teach your Modi about self-timers on cameras.

A Trabant is only fast if it is being dropped from an airplane.

"It goes two HUNDRED miles an hour! [subtitle: Down hill, in a hurricane] - Joe Isuzu

Living la vida loca.

I think "loci" in this context...

With the crazy raised rotating piano... It was one of my first shows. My sister's boyfriend took me. I couldn't have been more than 15.

Van Halen, 1984 tour

Life’s too short to change your own oil.
And think of all the people you’re throwing out of work!
:wink:
But it's a good idea to show your daughter at least once, so she knows it's possible to do it yourself, or herself.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #60,191 of 150,720
Way back when, I was playing my new UK import of Tales From Topographic Oceans. Dad stuck his head into the room and said, "That's not bad, who's that?"

"Yes," I replied. And we had our own Abbot and Costello moment...

On another subject, I too would really appreciate the new transport handling SACDs. But, combining Mike's oft-stated antipathy to the format with the difficulty of finding a reasonably-priced mechanism to use, best to abandon all hope right now. Then again, I'm still hoping for a Schiit pre with a balance control...

Some of the following may contain references people who have never lived in Southern California or who were born after 200 B. C. may not get...

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #60,192 of 150,720
I'd read an interview with Aaron Copeland once, he hated ELP's version of "Fanfare for the Common Man". He said something similar to, "...imagine having to listen to your work, ruined." I happen to like both versions. Actually, ELP's a bit better because of the aforementioned beat. Uncle Aaron's original is so slow. Now, "Rodeo

On the other hand I read when Brain Salad Surgery came out the Alberto Gianastera like their version of "Tocatta" from his 1st piano concerto, 4th movement.

===
Van Halen, 1984 tour

I saw Van Halen, or some something involving David Lee Roth, in 1977 at a small bar in east Pasadena, CA, one night on Colorado Blvd. And, another evening before their first LP came, I stumbled on about 500 people watching them in front of Pasadena City hall about 10 PM one Saturday night. Free. Open air.
It took a few years for me to realize who I had seen.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #60,193 of 150,720
Way back when, I was playing my new UK import of Tales From Topographic Oceans. Dad stuck his head into the room and said, "That's not bad, who's that?"

"Yes," I replied. And we had our own Abbot and Costello moment...

On another subject, I too would really appreciate the new transport handling SACDs. But, combining Mike's oft-stated antipathy to the format with the difficulty of finding a reasonably-priced mechanism to use, best to abandon all hope right now. Then again, I'm still hoping for a Schiit pre with a balance control...
Brilliant! And then Jon Anderson collaborated with Kitaro and the world was a better place.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #60,194 of 150,720
@45longcolt for SACD, try sony X800M2 (about $250 on sale, shipped from Crutchfield). painted metal chassis, 2x HDMI, digital out. Downside is it may not have a display on the unit itself.

disclaimer: I don't own this model so not sure about the quality / durability, or whether it will convert SACD to PCM digital out. Sony's last firmware update was released feb 2020 (it was firmware-of-the-month prior to that, but maybe the changes were for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray releases, and is reasonably stable now???). Original X800 model supposedly never worked right, ever, so they scrapped it and started over, hence the "M2" suffix :O

I'm using an old sony NS500V for CD & SACD (it does convert SACD 2.8 MHz to 16-bit / 44.1k pcm for the coax digital out, works with my Bifrost OG). waiting for Schiit Transport & will toss the few SACD-only titles I have when the NS500V finally bites the dust.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #60,195 of 150,720
Schiit n Music

Additionally:
Aside: My son’s required stay and work form home has been wonderful for him. So much family time! He is enjoying every moment.
Modius was announced.

gaggia clip.jpg

Stay safe
&
Enjoy the Schiit n Music

Happy Anniversary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back