Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 7, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #60,214 of 148,618
Car pedant warning - the yellow '57 of Ableza is a 2 door post wagon, the Nomad was an up market option that had slanted b and c pillars, as seen on the red car, along with the flashier belt trim.
And the genuine Nomad had the slanted rear gate with chrome stripes on it as I recall.

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #60,216 of 148,618
My first car. Mine was green. 2CV or The Ugly Duck

1591563599433.png

And the second one. Which was red. DAF Variomatic.
1591563729493.png

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #60,218 of 148,618
My first car. Mine was green. 2CV or The Ugly Duck

1591563599433.png

And the second one. Which was red. DAF Variomatic.
1591563729493.png
How many hp in the deux chevaux? I recall they started with 9hp! 375cc air cooled engines. Love the two-tone paint! My dad had a bog standard grey one whilst we were in Laos.

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #60,219 of 148,618
I miss the era in which cars were really distinctive-looking. I will even take the 80s boxy designs over the shapeless curve-fest we have now. If you are going to do curves, you got to do them properly, like my favourite European non-supercar of all time, Citroen DS.

1591564091596.png
My father had one. It's not a car. It's a driving luxury hotel. A ride as smooth as any RR

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #60,220 of 148,618
I miss the era in which cars were really distinctive-looking. I will even take the 80s boxy designs over the shapeless curve-fest we have now. If you are going to do curves, you got to do them properly, like my favourite European non-supercar of all time, Citroen DS.

1591564091596.png
To be fair today's cars are way more aerodynamic so design is more about efficiency than pure aesthetics.

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #60,222 of 148,618
The Citroen-Maserati was always one of my dream cars. I have owned two Masers, but never an SM.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #60,223 of 148,618
Apparently I get unlucky as now USPS says the package has been delayed and they don't even have an estimated delivery date, despite me being on the West Coast and my Modius shipping the morning they were announced. Still, could be worse. I ordered Magnepan LRSs in February, still waiting for them. And the Rel subwoofer I ordered has also been delayed by UPS due to "civil unrest".
Over the years, living in various locations, I've had any number of problems with the USPS and FedEx. I've always been happy with UPS, but I'm sure that for other people, they could go on about UPS problems they've had, and say that USPS or FedEx has been great for them. My understanding is that all of them have been getting hammered with well above normal package delivery levels, even surpassing pre-Christmas shipping levels.

Several years back, a FedEx driver had explained to me that FedEx express delivery services were almost like a separate entity from FedEx Home and FedEx Ground. I imagine that it depends to some degree on the pickup and delivery locations. When I lived in rural NH, they were separate. The woman who was the normal express delivery driver would drive up my long driveway and deliver items to my door. FedEx Ground would possibly leave packages by the side of the road, where they might get plowed into a snowbank, or might just leave them at the wrong house altogether. Where I live now, in a suburb of Portland ME, I have no problems with FedEx Ground. I recently received two items from Schiit via FedEx Ground and have another package on the way from them.

I've been shipping a bunch of stuff lately with UPS, and I've been very happy with them.

My USPS carrier refuses to leave packages on my porch, even prior to COVID-19, and I've come home multiple times to soaking wet packages sitting in the middle of my driveway. Yes, I've complained, numerous times and at escalating levels. Apparently USPS union employees are untouchable. I'm sure that for every douchebag carrier like mine, there are 99 good ones, but I avoid using USPS because of it. YMMV

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #60,224 of 148,618

1591564091596.png
We called those "boca de sapo" (toad's mouth) when I was growing up, in Portugal. Crazy thing, just searched for "citroen boca de sapo" and found a few for sale in Portugal https://auto.mitula.pt/auto/citroen-boca-sapo. Not cheap, either, must have entered museum stage. One of my father's friends owned one, the hydraulic suspension that lifted when the engine started was really cool, felt like it was about to take off.

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #60,225 of 148,618
Several years back, a FedEx driver had explained to me that FedEx express delivery services were almost like a separate entity from FedEx Home and FedEx Ground. I imagine that it depends to some degree on the pickup and delivery locations. When I lived in rural NH, they were separate. The woman who was the normal express delivery driver would drive up my long driveway and deliver items to my door. FedEx Ground would possibly leave packages by the side of the road, where they might get plowed into a snowbank, or might just leave them at the wrong house altogether.

I believe FedEx Ground drivers are contractors and may get paid based on how many packages they deliver, so it makes sense they'd leave it at the end of your driveway and with less care than normal FedEx drivers who are full employees and probably unionized with all sorts of benefits FedEx Ground contractors can only dream about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back