Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #60,091 of 150,689
If it helps, 4 are Russian tortoises and 1 is a California Desert Tortoise. The first Russian tortoise was named for a Russian movie, Black Lightning, in which there is a flying Volga. I warned you, don't ask. And yes, I know, Warwick, England, has nothing at all to do with California, but again, don't ask. Warwick is also the offspring of a 110-120 year old California Desert Tortoise named "Toad" which we got for doing a website for selling performance car parts (Toad is now passed on, did not come out of hibernation one year). All proof that you can't make this Schiit up, truth is stranger than fiction, etc.

Holy hell we should do dogs or cats....more sane by far.

you build reasonable priced hi-end gear, that in itself is insane (in a good way).

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #60,092 of 150,689
Maybe Schiit will release the Four-Horseman Dac...? The Be-All, to End-All. 💀

This would be an excellent name for the balanced AMP counterpart, I love the off naming they are going with 'Magnius' The Four Horseman AMP and Magnius DAC. Nothing makes sense in the real world anymore, might as well go all in.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #60,094 of 150,689
Living together...?

cats-vs-dog-beds21.jpg

Not living together, but our dog has been trying to befriend my girlfriend’s family’s cat for the past 11 months.
They’ve reached a point where the cat is mostly indifferent about the dog, unless she tries to eat his food or sniff his butt.

802A64DA-3A89-45FA-9AA2-9948D3AA634A.jpeg

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #60,095 of 150,689
I never got the vibe that Multibit's benefits came from a lack of math, but rather a much more precise math with less room for quantization error. I mean, if you're going to hate on math in sound, then why not hate on it in music?

I, for one, am pleased as punch that octaves and fifths rock because the fundamentals of those note relationships come out to a 2:1 ratio for the octave and close to the golden ratio for the fifths. It's all ratios that make the circle of fifths go round!

If you really hate math in music though, I have some nice noise I can recommend. Hardly any math in there at all. Truly the essence of the raw and untamed universe!
My understanding is the multibit takes the original bits and does the math on them, but the DS takes an estimate of the original bits that is the result of an equation, and does the math on them. Is that at all reality? All I know is, my fantasy of how these operate has more impact on my enjoyment I believe than the actual modius operandi.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #60,096 of 150,689
The measurements of the Asgard are not "worse" in anyway that actually matters, once you are past a certain threshold it makes no difference at all. It not necessary to fluff the numbers for bragging rights. The Asgard puts out more than double the power of the Magni 3+ and has the continuity tech which solves an issue the Magni (and all other Class A/B amps) suffer from. So saying its a super Magni 3+ is accurate, hell even the output stage has a lot in common with the Magni 3+.

What I hope Schiit puts out is a amp which takes balanced inputs and is in the 199-299 price bracket to compete with the THX amps. I have a feeling if they do it, it will be a super Magni heresy as to hit that price point with balanced its most likely going to need to use a switching power supply and if going that route op amps make more sense than discrete. I hope they use some of the nicer op amps like the LME49724 used in Modius, as it would be great to have some affordable balanced amps on the market that were not based on OPAs.

As a side note, Modius is ideal for doing some thunderdome blind tests with, would be very interesting to run blind tests comparing the SE output to the XLR. Would be interesting to find out if people could tell the difference!
Yeah i agree but it objectively measures worse. The trend is good measuring amps like THX and Heresy right now. So balanced Heresius should be logical stack option to Modius.

However what i want is all in one package. Ditch the balance output and make me a Modius+Heresy in one package with built in psu and keep the unison usb. In fact add some Loki knobs to the front panel as well. Maybe small screen to show bitrate wouldn't hurt. Something like Fiio K5 pro but better.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #60,098 of 150,689
I ordered my Modius on the 2nd. It's already out for delivery, and I'm East Coast! Thanks Schiit, and thanks too, to the USPS. Awesome service.

Jealous. I ordered right after Jason announed it June 2, and it shipped that day. I'm in Oregon, right next to Schiit's state, and mine won't be here until tomorrow.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #60,100 of 150,689
Rina's "pets."

rina pets.jpg

"Pets" because they are furniture for 5 months out of the year (hibernating.) On the other hand, we'll need to put them in our will.

From left to right: Lada, Gaz, Warwick, Volga, Trabant. Don't ask.
Trabant ... named for an East German car :wink:

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #60,101 of 150,689
Jealous. I ordered right after Jason announed it June 2, and it shipped that day. I'm in Oregon, right next to Schiit's state, and mine won't be here until tomorrow.

I get lucky, as it seems packages from CA get over-nighted to the East, via air freight. So, Schiit Stuuf gets to me pretty quickly.

Good luck with your Modius. I hope it shows up soon!

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #60,102 of 150,689
" Until I noticed that Dave and I had different datasheets for the part, and the later datasheets had some specific recommendations that hadn’t appeared in the (yes, manufacturer-supplied, supposedly good-to-go datasheet)."

What does that even mean? I'm all for schitts and giggles but wth can someone decipher this?

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #60,103 of 150,689
" Until I noticed that Dave and I had different datasheets for the part, and the later datasheets had some specific recommendations that hadn’t appeared in the (yes, manufacturer-supplied, supposedly good-to-go datasheet)."

What does that even mean? I'm all for schitts and giggles but wth can someone decipher this?

Any type of IC or chip has specification paperwork supplied from the manufacturer. The datasheets include voltages and connection points, as well as suggestions for supporting circuit designs, for the chip. So, it appears Jason was designing support circuitry from a different (obsoleted) datasheet than Dave. Not good. Not fun either, but funny! Sounds like where I work...! :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #60,105 of 150,689
Rina's "pets."

rina pets.jpg

"Pets" because they are furniture for 5 months out of the year (hibernating.) On the other hand, we'll need to put them in our will.

From left to right: Lada, Gaz, Warwick, Volga, Trabant. Don't ask.

Makes perfect sense, except for Warwick. Slow moving overbuilt underperforming eastern block autos.

We had a Lada (don't ask...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back