Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 19, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #59,326 of 150,333
Guess Where?

Utah.JPG

May 19, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #59,329 of 150,333
This afternoon I listened to "ZZ Top's First Album" using Roon. I started with the CD rip (FLAC lossless/uncompressed) from my collection. This CD is from the ZZ Top "Six Pack Collection" (1987) whose liner notes state "We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recordings." In other words, no remastering.

Since I was using Roon I noticed in the "Versions" tab that Qobuz has both a 44/16 and a 96/24 version which is the "Studio Masters Edition". Might as well try out the 96/24 version, right?

Holy Schiit, the remastered version is NOTHING like my CD rip. By comparison it sounds awful!!

I started buying used CD's for this exact reason and ZZ Top's Trace Hombres and Eliminator were two recent editions. I thought I was covered with the Chrome, Smoke & BBQ compilation but decided I liked the original releases better. They aren't as compressed as remasters or reissues and I can listen to them without getting fatigued, which for me shows up as getting slightly irritated the longer I listen, especially to rock guitar. The Modi Multibit, Eitr and Roon combo really make 44/16 sound come alive. I'm saving lots of money on high res albums and using it to buy as many used CD's as I can to fill out the holes in my collection.

May 19, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #59,330 of 150,333
That sounds like a Jotunheim 2, which is also what I am hoping for.

will be Freya sized to hold the relay-based attenuators, nexus-continuity HP amp stage, plus room for at least two add-on modules (one regular sized, one for the not built-yet multibit with 8x over-sampling and unison usb + at least one spdif input.

May 19, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #59,332 of 150,333
I mean this in the nicest way, but that statement shows incredible ignorance for the culture that invented the French fry. That's how they're served. North America has some pretty gross "French fires" available, so it doesn't surprise me they come covered in ketchup, cheese, gravy, or whatever.

After I'm done my fries and mayonnaise, I'll have a trappist and chocolate for dessert.

To paraphrase Tuco, "There are two kinds of people in this world, my friend, those who recognize toungue-in-cheek, and those who don't".

What do you expect. They eat spaghetti with meat balls. You won't find that in Italy.... :xf_cool:

Actually, I think I saw that in Italy. But only in the parts of the cities we visited where cheese pizza was also sold. And Good Humor ice cream bars. Having had Italian food in Italy, Italian food in America is almost always a let down.

Have you looked at the country of origin? There’s a better than even chance that barbecue was made in China.
:wink:

I was mainly showing the meat and smoke, not the grill. The grill company, at least, is headquartered in Salt Lake City.

Back to my Mjolnir... Perhaps with some Trappist beer. Unfortunately for me, also better in Italy than the States. Apparently, it doesn't travel well.

May 19, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #59,334 of 150,333
Ah, I'm just hoping for a Nexus Jotunheim in black finish, Jotunheim size. Continuity would be a bonus. Make it 6wpc or more into 32ohm and I can't buy it fast enough.

Jotunheim is already very tightly packed. no room in there to add Nexus and/or Continuity. Jotunheim is already balanced differential, which means it can already drive twin monoblock Aegers or Vidars.

@Jason Stoddard pls correct me if i'm wrong about any of this.

May 19, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #59,336 of 150,333
Yes, HiRes doesn't matter if mastered poorly.
See:
https://www.xivero.com/musicscope/
The MusicScope is a high precision software audio analyzer and measuring tool that works as an Audio-Microscope to visualize the different quality aspects of a music collection.

Dynamic Range Database
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

eg
ZZ Top - The Complete Studio Albums 1970-1990
Available in Audiophile 192kHz/24bit & 96kHz/24bit

Dynamic Range DB
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=Complete+Studio+Albums+1970-1990

Well that database makes me sad..so many low scores for albums I like

May 19, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #59,337 of 150,333
Well that database makes me sad..so many low scores for albums I like
Dynamic range isn't everything. If you like it then why let a 'low-score' affect your enjoyment?

May 19, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #59,338 of 150,333
Dynamic range isn't everything. If you like it then why let a 'low-score' affect your enjoyment?

I agree to an extent. DR scores aren't everything, and albums with lower DR scores can still sound good—despite (and never by virtue of) over compression.

However, that doesn't really remove all the side effects of over compression, including clipping distortion, time-domain distortion, listening fatigue (it's the aural equivalent of reading a text in all caps), lack of punch (especially in the drums) and shifts toward a less realistic tone for a number of instruments. No matter how much you enjoy an album despite its low DR score—if its DR score were higher, all else being equal, it would sound better.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #59,339 of 150,333
I think the point with this is to be able to compare different versions of an album.
Also, to look at see if a HiRes file really adds anything.
Some HiRes files are worse, so the 24/192 file may be worse than CD version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back