Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #59,357 of 150,426
Thanks to English fish and chips, GB is one of the few place where newspaper makers have not suffered. Not publishers...the papers are still not read, but I'm convinced 90% + of English newspaper is used to cover greasy fish and chips. For you vinegar aficionados, I think malt vinegar is mandatory.
Agree, but the uk made using newspapers to wrap chips against the law. With soy-based inks, who cares? And I’m in for the malt vinegar...

May 20, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #59,359 of 150,426
Unless you have inefficient 4 ohm speakers, then even as monoblocks they don't have a chance of driving them at levels most would listen at without them going into over-current protection...

That's the exact issue. The days of 16/12/8 ohm speakers being the norm are long gone. I would guess 50% these days are 4ohms.

May 20, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #59,361 of 150,426
Since we're talking new product requests, would you folks consider marketing a computer card with an unison out on it?
I think there would be a market.
I don't think there is a market at all. How many people will buy a USB computer card to put into a desktop computer that already has 4 USB ports? And not to mention that laptops have already dominated computer sales for many years.

The other possibility is a USB decrapifier type of device with USB input and Unison USB output. I'm skeptical about this as well. We saw what happened with Wyrd and Eitr.

May 20, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #59,362 of 150,426
I don't think there is a market at all. How many people will buy a USB computer card to put into a desktop computer that already has 4 USB ports? And not to mention that laptops have already dominated computer sales for many years.

The other possibility is a USB decrapifier type of device with USB input and Unison USB output. I'm skeptical about this as well. We saw what happened with Wyrd and Eitr.
With Unison USB you don't need any special USB out or a decrapifier. It sounds amazing as it is. Noisy USB or not (I use standard PC and even Raspberry Pi).
That said, I also am looking forward to see the transport and learn whether or not a Unison USB server can even further improve the sound.
Also Plus 1 for a higher output Aegir. The 80 watt in mono is just not enough. I have to remain careful not to push it too far and have it shut down.

May 20, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #59,363 of 150,426
May 20, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #59,364 of 150,426
That was a nice read, thanks for posting it. I hadn't heard of that website before today. Looks like some interesting articles.
I may be a mostly blues/rock guy but I like a lot of the prog-rock stuff, too.

May 20, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #59,366 of 150,426

Valid points.
I don't know what the HTPC or audio card market volume looks like.
However, there hasn't been much new in that space.
I suspect as more people are staying home that audio systems are being more appreciated.
People are investing less in travel (of course) and more in home improvements and luxuries like pools, etc.
(For those that have jobs of course. The financial impact of COVID19 is not evenly distributed.)

May 20, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #59,367 of 150,426
May 20, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #59,368 of 150,426
Thanks for sharing the interview. One of my favorite remixes that Steven Wilson did was Jethro Tull's Benefit album. It truly sounded like trash, and he resurrected a musical masterpiece.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the article. I agree with you about Benefit and also what he did with Aqualung.
I must have another listen to the remix of Benefit on Qobuz tonight!
Steve Wilson only remixes albums which he loves, and it shows in the great care he has taken over preserving the magic in these classic albums.
I think the same is true of Giles Martin's Beatles remixes. The White Album is the one which stands out for me.
Here's Giles talking about remixing the White Album... and cheese and Marmite sandwiches....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46152217

May 20, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #59,369 of 150,426
I am also still buying used CDs, despite having Qobuz, and, for now, no CD Transport......
This evening I had a listen to two Qobuz versions of ZZ Top's Brown Sugar from their first album- the 'Studio Masters Edition' ( High Res) and the 'CD- FLAC 16/44.1' version.
I agree with Roy G.Biv; the Studio Masters version sounds awful!
In addition to the Giles Martin Beatles remix/remasters, some other remastered albums which I have preferred to the originals, were done by Steve Wilson. His remastered version of Jethro Tull's Aqualung sounds fantastic ( in my opinion). I had the original on vinyl and first issue CD. The Steve Wilson version is my favourite by a long way.
I am less convinced by the benefits of Hi Res.
Agree about Steve Wilson's remasters. Bob Ludwig is very good at mastering and re-mastering, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back