Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 18, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #59,296 of 149,160
Any ZZ Top fans that also subscribe to Qobuz?

This afternoon I listened to "ZZ Top's First Album" using Roon. I started with the CD rip (FLAC lossless/uncompressed) from my collection. This CD is from the ZZ Top "Six Pack Collection" (1987) whose liner notes state "We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recordings." In other words, no remastering.

Since I was using Roon I noticed in the "Versions" tab that Qobuz has both a 44/16 and a 96/24 version which is the "Studio Masters Edition". Might as well try out the 96/24 version, right?

Holy Schiit, the remastered version is NOTHING like my CD rip. By comparison it sounds awful!!

Let's use "Brown Sugar" as an example. The CD intro opens with Billy Gibbon's guitar and vocal being mostly centered in the mix with an appropriately gritty, live studio sound. The 96/24 mix has vocals hard-panned to the right, guitar hard-panned to the left with ALL of the gritty, live sound completely gone. This completely messed up the feel of the song for me. The rest of the song continues with the same lack of feeling of a live recording that the original had. The remainder of the album is much the same.

Interestingly, the Qobuz 44/16 version (unknown provenance) reverses the vocals to hard-panned left, guitar hard-panned right. Go figure...

All this to say that remastering isn't always a good thing. Audiofools make a lot of noise about "being true to the source" and get horny when a Hi-Res version of their favorite album becomes available. But I gotta remind everyone - buyer beware. IMHO, my CD version is far superior to the remastered version(s).

I don't have a record player (yet) but I'd be willing to bet that an original analog issue of the album sounds better than any of the digital versions.

If anyone prefers the remastered version then good for you. We all have our preferences.

Now let's get back to our Scottish BBQ mayonnaise French Fry Gorilla Glue Fish 'n' Chips discussion. :beerchug:

edit - Not all remasters are evil BTW. I think the most recent remaster of the Beatle's "Sgt. Pepper" is very nice.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #59,297 of 149,160
The old referenda said differently indeed but that was a while ago.
General sense now is to abandon the empire.

I am from the South East of England but a quarter Scottish and it is very tempting to abandon the empire with them...

May 18, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #59,298 of 149,160
Going back to mayo, it is excellent. I used to be a Craft person, but my partner grew up in Japan and always recommended Kewpie but my local store out. I have decided to try another brand, Kenko. while not identical they do compete in my book.
My personal favorite is to use them on tostadas de ceviche. Killer flavor, best part is it is a squeeze bottle.
1589829508755.png

Thanks for the rec! If I like the Kewpie I'll give the Kenko a try too.

May 18, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #59,300 of 149,160
So much schiit :wink:
waiting.JPG

Nice! Love the configurability of your rack too. Is that purchased, or did you make it yourself?

May 18, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #59,301 of 149,160
That was a gift for my wife, and I am making one for my daughter as well. Unfortunately the second one is even prettier so I need to call it a cheese board or some such. I have a lot of honey locust, oak, and maple scrap left over from other projects so I am just trying to use it up.

I'd like mine in Tiger maple, please. :) :)

May 18, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #59,302 of 149,160
You said it yourself: French fries are American, so mayonnaise does not belong on them. If you want malt vinegar and salt on your chips (I do), that's fine. If you want mayonnaise on whatever the Dutch call fried potatoes, that's fine too (as long as I don't have to watch while they're being eaten). French fries get salt, and sometimes ketchup (or catsup).

We agree twice. In one day. To keep it civil, I'll stop there.

Except:
20200517_183126[1].jpg
Texas BBQ is not made in China.

Have you looked at the country of origin? There’s a better than even chance that barbecue was made in China.
:wink:

May 18, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #59,303 of 149,160
Leffe Blond :deadhorse:
:yum:
lovely beer, like Duvel
Thanks to Belgium for their ‘patat’ en ‘bier’ (not to confuse with ‘pils’)

Leffe Radieuse for me, or La Trappe Quadruple. Some Most All of the beers from Trappist Monks.

And for fries or chips - Malt Vinegar... but my wife mixes mayo and ketchup together for hers

May 18, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #59,304 of 149,160
Any ZZ Top fans that also subscribe to Qobuz?

This afternoon I listened to "ZZ Top's First Album" using Roon. I started with the CD rip (FLAC lossless/uncompressed) from my collection. This CD is from the ZZ Top "Six Pack Collection" (1987) whose liner notes state "We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recordings." In other words, no remastering.

Since I was using Roon I noticed in the "Versions" tab that Qobuz has both a 44/16 and a 96/24 version which is the "Studio Masters Edition". Might as well try out the 96/24 version, right?

Holy Schiit, the remastered version is NOTHING like my CD rip. By comparison it sounds awful!!

Let's use "Brown Sugar" as an example. The CD intro opens with Billy Gibbon's guitar and vocal being mostly centered in the mix with an appropriately gritty, live studio sound. The 96/24 mix has vocals hard-panned to the right, guitar hard-panned to the left with ALL of the gritty, live sound completely gone. This completely messed up the feel of the song for me. The rest of the song continues with the same lack of feeling of a live recording that the original had. The remainder of the album is much the same.

Interestingly, the Qobuz 44/16 version (unknown provenance) reverses the vocals to hard-panned left, guitar hard-panned right. Go figure...

All this to say that remastering isn't always a good thing. Audiofools make a lot of noise about "being true to the source" and get horny when a Hi-Res version of their favorite album becomes available. But I gotta remind everyone - buyer beware. IMHO, my CD version is far superior to the remastered version(s).

I don't have a record player (yet) but I'd be willing to bet that an original analog issue of the album sounds better than any of the digital versions.

If anyone prefers the remastered version then good for you. We all have our preferences.

Now let's get back to our Scottish BBQ mayonnaise French Fry Gorilla Glue Fish 'n' Chips discussion. :beerchug:

edit - Not all remasters are evil BTW. I think the most recent remaster of the Beatle's "Sgt. Pepper" is very nice.
This is sad to hear, the intro to Brown Sugar is compelling before you are blasted by the rhythm. Stupid Qobuz.

I would rather have brown sugar on my fries than mayo. The only positive I think of for mayonnaise is it made a great nickname in An Officer and a Gentlemen.

May 18, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #59,305 of 149,160
I am from the South East of England but a quarter Scottish and it is very tempting to abandon the empire with them...

Me too. After the Brexit farce, I said to a friend, I'll become a Scot and stay with you as a European. His response "You're a Yorkshireman, you'd have to become a lot more generous"

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #59,306 of 149,160
May 19, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #59,310 of 149,160
Soooo.... am I the only one waiting on a Super Aegir? I'll take a mono amp doing 100W into 8ohms and 200W into 4. I mean, more would be better but...$$$.

Oh, I'm always waiting on Jason's next design in the speaker side of the world. I have favorite circuit designs of his and when he hints at something special using those designs I like I get antsy.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back