Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #57,976 of 150,732
If you click through on the first slide of our website homepage, you'll see we are up and running, shipping orders, providing support, and performing service. The Schiitr is closed for a while, though.

I hope everyone stays safe through all of this!

I'm trying to finish up a chapter for you this week on "Perspectives on Four Disruptions," a (hopeful) take based on my experience with, er, unexpected change.
You're pregnant.

Mar 31, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #57,977 of 150,732
I can tell you what I ordered this week:
A Schiit Hel and a boom mic cable for my LCD-2 to work from home

I’m also looking to pick up Hel and Audeze boom mic in the future. As for now, I’m swapping my Sennheiser headset back and forth with my girlfriend.

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #57,978 of 150,732
For example, I have just been listening to the 'Deluxe Special Edition' of the Beatles White Album on Qobuz using 16/44.1

All I can say is, I have never heard the album sound so good, and I grew up listening to the vinyl version.
It is absolutely stunning and hard to believe that the original recording was made well over 50 years ago.
It is a fantastic example of how good a remix can sound on a digital system. It is almost like being in the recording studio as it sounds so real.

Whether the vinyl version sounds even better, I'll probably never find out, as this digital version is good enough for me!

I have the Giles Martin remasters of the White Album, Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road on CD, all exquisitely done. I haven't heard any of the three on vinyl either, and it's hard to imagine how the sound could be improved upon.

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #57,979 of 150,732
Jotunheim 2. Pretty please. With sugar on top. Bifrost 2 has made me, err, balanced-curious. Just don’t push it too close to christmas, I also need a PS5.

Since when is Jotunheim 1 not balanced?

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #57,980 of 150,732
Since when is Jotunheim 1 not balanced?

Nothing wrong with Jotunheim, but Lyr 3 and Asgard 3 were big hits. I’m just waiting to see what they come up with next. I’m in no hurry.

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #57,982 of 150,732
Well if we are going to put in requests: Valhalla 3 with XLR balanced inputs.

Actually it's kinda rare to see a 100% tube amp with XLR inputs, isn't it? Maybe feeding from a balanced connection is too hot for tubes (in terms of Vrms)? Might have gain issues.

I could be wrong about it, but I would feel that balanced would work well with a push-pull configuration. Positive goes to one tube (or half of a tube if using something like the 6N6P) and negative goes to another. Then recombine later. I do not know how easy it would be to feed it just a single ended input then though. Yes, you could run just half of it, but I am not sure about the recombining at the end.

Full disclaimer: I am definitely not an electrical engineering. Just have enough info to be kind of dangerous or stupid. I could be way off base with my views of how to apply balanced inputs to a push pull class a tube system.

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #57,983 of 150,732
If they fail like guitar amps, they get whooshy sounding and/or microphonic.

Or as the emission level starts declining, they can just get flat and boring sounding, losing dynamics, bass punch and treble detail. However, I can probably count on one hand the tubes I've 'worn out' in such fashion -- most that I've replaced (other than from tube rolling) have been due to them getting noisy.

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #57,984 of 150,732
Hi Derrick
Thanks for your help, i already thinked about that ATC too, but i have a limited space for them. I need place the speakers in a ikea Lack shelf (provisionally) who only have 26 cm deep, thats why im looking for this harbeths p3esr (19 cm) or Proac tabllete 10 (16 cm). Do you know the last ones?
How much 1 Aegir can deliver at 1 meter? Anyway probably is better 1 Vidar or 2 Aegirs right? so they don't work at full power?

Cheers!

Pedro
in that case i would go for Vidar and smaller ATCs scm11 i believe.
check this site for spl level indications:
https://mehlau.net/audio/spl/

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #57,985 of 150,732
I'm doing an experiment now with an inexpensive tube in my Saga +, I'm leaving it on 24/7 (it already runs at least 12 - 14 hours a day) to see how long it will last...
the tube or the amp:darthsmile:

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #57,986 of 150,732
No tubes...

1585696751837.png

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #57,987 of 150,732
I need my tubes. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #57,988 of 150,732
Well if we are going to put in requests: Valhalla 3 with XLR balanced inputs.

Actually it's kinda rare to see a 100% tube amp with XLR inputs, isn't it? Maybe feeding from a balanced connection is too hot for tubes (in terms of Vrms)? Might have gain issues.
if you want it Balanced-Out, you'll need twice the number of toobz, plus an up-sized transformer & filter caps to run the extra filaments and output stage. may not physically fit on midsize chassis, or it'll run so hot that it'll need more socket savers than @bcowen has in his primary stash-- he'll need to dip into the reserves :)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #57,989 of 150,732
I could be wrong about it, but I would feel that balanced would work well with a push-pull configuration. Positive goes to one tube (or half of a tube if using something like the 6N6P) and negative goes to another. Then recombine later. I do not know how easy it would be to feed it just a single ended input then though. Yes, you could run just half of it, but I am not sure about the recombining at the end.

Full disclaimer: I am definitely not an electrical engineering. Just have enough info to be kind of dangerous or stupid. I could be way off base with my views of how to apply balanced inputs to a push pull class a tube system.

the 6N6P is being used in a cathode follower (current, but not voltage gain configuration). you could run each half as one leg of the balanced output, but you will need separate current sources for each leg (another pair of 6N6P's for stereo), and a phase splitter to drive the gates in opposite polarities from an SE source, so it will be SE-in, Balanced-Out.

Mar 31, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #57,990 of 150,732
the 6N6P is being used in a cathode follower (current, but not voltage gain configuration). you could run each half as one leg of the balanced output, but you will need separate current sources for each leg (another pair of 6N6P's for stereo), and a phase splitter to drive the gates in opposite polarities from an SE source, so it will be SE-in, Balanced-Out.

also, the output impedance will double (which is NOT a good thing, unless we double up the output triode sections, so now we are up to eight 6N6P's :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back