Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 29, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #57,151 of 150,893
OMG, that is an amazing idea. If he's ever in the area, I'll do what we need to do to make this happen!
if you can find him and his old UPC truck, amazing man, wonderful shirts and miss his reviews and opinions.

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #57,152 of 150,893
I too have found that getting the channel balance nailed is a decidedly 'good thing'.
And for those that have DSP functionality as part of their setup, it can be dialed in with precision, as in with 0.x dB (or finer) adjustability.

And in the past I had 2.6dB of adjustment added into the system.
But this approach does require a stable and consistent system, one that isn't being dialed in nor changed on a regular basis.

And just in case you're wondering…
I notice that the sub bass will become more pronounced and with greater definition when the balance is dialed in, and so I use this as my ultimate arbiter for making adjustments.
Of course this is only really useful for balancing the system to itself, and if the music is not balanced, especially on a track by track basis, well there lie dragons, aka audio nervosa, which I tend to avoid…

JJ
I use Roon DSP to solve my disbalanced listening position. More important is to set proper delay on the channel which is closer.

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #57,153 of 150,893
Am I detecting a sense of musical fun here?

Like the audiophile police aren't going to bust me and take my Magni Heresy away for listening to this and wondering "maybe I should get a Loki to emphasize the electric-jug just a little more". 13th Floor Elevators - You're gonna to miss me"

So with Schiit - fun AND good engineering? Usually those two don't go together...

Feb 29, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #57,154 of 150,893
For me its not about whether its what the artist or recording engineer intended, what's more important is what sounds right and engaging to me.

Absolutely could not agree more. I think (hope?) we've progressed beyond the old days of Stereophile and Absolute Sound with their constant proclamations and judgements on which component(s) were most "accurate." In the context of an audio system, exactly what the hell is accurate anyway? Accurate to the original performance? Unless I attended it, how could I know? Accurate to the recording session?

I completely agree with both of you. If "accuracy" was the only important thing then I think all recording studios would use a standardized set of equipment in the recording chain, and consumers would have only one choice of source, pre-amp, amp and speaker. Ludicrous.

Loki has made more of an improvement to my listening experience than any other piece of gear.

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #57,155 of 150,893
That said, I'm sure more radical products, things that make real changes, like Gadgets and Super-Lokis, are in our future...
I am looking forward to these products. The Gadget as described in the John Darko video, maybe the most radical audio product ever. An expansion of the Loki line would be great (I hope it has two pairs of SE outputs like Saga S/Plus - one pair for headphones and the other for speakers). I loved the blind listening chapter.:thumbsup::beers:

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #57,156 of 150,893
I completely agree with both of you. If "accuracy" was the only important thing then I think all recording studios would use a standardized set of equipment in the recording chain, and consumers would have only one choice of source, pre-amp, amp and speaker. Ludicrous.

Loki has made more of an improvement to my listening experience than any other piece of gear.

+1 on that. The only thing that would make me give up my Loki is a bigger Loki with more knobs and lights and stuff. :)

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #57,157 of 150,893
"and lights and stuff."

Mini LED screen with lava lamp effect?

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #57,158 of 150,893
Now that's funny. I don't know how many of you can listen to the Walton & Johnson Show on a syndicated station, but just today they were tracing the origins of rap and decided it originated with some country singers (not Marty Robbins, but somebody like that) who rhymed and sometimes spoke all their lyrics. One of the examples they proffered is Charlie Daniels' "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" is a rap song. Of course, this was all accompanied by much on-air laughing, especially when Ken Webster asked when rap got ruined and which artist was responsible.
Check out the CDB song "Uneasy Rider."

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #57,159 of 150,893
"and lights and stuff."

Mini LED screen with lava lamp effect?

Hadn't thought about the LED screen, but that's a great idea! I was just kind of hoping for a parts pick list similar to this: :)

1582990458952.png

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #57,161 of 150,893
Oh good grief. You guys should add one of these to your Ebay watch list in case one pops up you can buy:

1582939826669.png

:) :)

Thanks. I can't find any listed right now, but I found your sign, however. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Capture.JPG

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #57,162 of 150,893
I've heard of those. I've never seen one in person, but I've heard of them.

I had some time to kill in LA once, and ended up at the Pedersen Automotive Museum. They had some musical celebrities' customized '50s roadster (maybe a Corvette or Thunderbird?) that had a turntable built into the dash.

Another vehicle (this one a big floaty boat type) had its turntable mounted in a drawer that slid out from below the dash.

I assumed in both cases that they were a park'n'play option, rather than something you'd use while driving, especially in the case of the roadster.

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #57,164 of 150,893
Jason,

Yet another great post.

I really miss Tyll - such a void with his absence from the Headphone community.
I have always trusted his honesty, integrity, and his ear (there I said it!).
Maybe it might appeal to him to be able to listen/evaluate and enjoy this hobby without the corporate overloads (publishing company) or objectivists trying to smash him into submission at every turn.
Schiit is so chill that if Tyll said something that differed from their views, Mike and Jason wouldn't argue or give a schiit.

A visitor to my home office remarked recently, "man you have a lot is s&*t in here" and I replied, "yup, but I love Schiit and I'm so tempted to get more".

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #57,165 of 150,893
@Jason Stoddard, I was just looking at the wall warts (I moved recently and can't for the life of my find the one for my Modi) and noticed the following:

If you've lost your wall-wart, or need another one, you can get it right here. We use four kinds of wall-warts for our products, so please make sure you get the right one.

6VAC, 1500mA: for Wyrd and Eitr.
15VAC, 1500mA: for Magni 2 Uber, Magni 3, Magni 3+, Magni Heresy. Can also be used on any product with a 16VAC wall-wart above.
16VAC, 500mA: For Magni, Magni 2, Vali, Modi 2 Uber, Modi Optical, and Mani.
24VAC/6VAC: for Vali 2

For clarity you might consider either moving the line item description of the 15VAC adapter down one line, or edit it to say "Can also be used on any product with a 16VAC wall-wart below."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back