Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 29, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #57,166 of 150,898
Jason,

Yet another great post.

I really miss Tyll - such a void with his absence from the Headphone community.
I have always trusted his honesty, integrity, and his ear (there I said it!).
Maybe it might appeal to him to be able to listen/evaluate and enjoy this hobby without the corporate overloads (publishing company) or objectivists trying to smash him into submission at every turn.
Schiit is so chill that if Tyll said something that differed from their views, Mike and Jason wouldn't argue or give a schiit.

A visitor to my home office remarked recently, "man you have a lot is s&*t in here" and I replied, "yup, but I love Schiit and I'm so tempted to get more".

Tyll is more of a Nomad these days. Nomad Center Camp

Feb 29, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #57,167 of 150,898
I had some time to kill in LA once, and ended up at the Pedersen Automotive Museum. They had some musical celebrities' customized '50s roadster (maybe a Corvette or Thunderbird?) that had a turntable built into the dash.

Another vehicle (this one a big floaty boat type) had its turntable mounted in a drawer that slid out from below the dash.

I assumed in both cases that they were a park'n'play option, rather than something you'd use while driving, especially in the case of the roadster.
There are discussions some where on these forums about the different in car turntables, maybe Vintage, cannot remember where right now. Google for many examples.
Chrysler started the trend around 1956 with a system that used special records. Later systems were available that used standard 45s stacked. Many other variations were introduced. Suspension systems and high tracking values were standard.

And yes, they worked while under way. My neighbor's dad had one that worked very well.

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #57,171 of 150,898
if you can find him and his old UPC truck, amazing man, wonderful shirts and miss his reviews and opinions.
Too true. I understand that he was "another online reviewer"; however, it gave me background on a wide assortment of headphones. And he was always careful to advise his followers to audition gear out and make their own decisions. :)

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #57,173 of 150,898
When I returned to higher-fi audio (after a 12 year hiatus) in 2016 taking up quality HP's I think Tyll was my first point of information and website contact before I was aware of Head-Fi.

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #57,174 of 150,898
Feb 29, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #57,176 of 150,898
I wasn't completely happy when Tyll was removed from InnerFidelity and Michael Lavorgna was removed from Audiostream. In my opinion, both sites were better then than they are now with Rafe Arnott.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #57,177 of 150,898
Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #57,180 of 150,898
Maybe you could just ignore each other?

Not suggesting any love lost between our erstwhile proantagonists, but Tom Lehrer once suggested an effective alternate solution:

Speaking of love, one problem that recurs more and more frequently these days, in books and plays and movies, is the inability of people to communicate with the people they love: husbands and wives who can't communicate, children who can't communicate with their parents, and so on. And the characters in these books and plays and so on, and in real life, I might add, spend hours bemoaning the fact that they can't communicate. I feel that if a person can't communicate, the very least he can do is to shut up.

:smile_phones:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back