Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #57,121 of 150,898
Interesting, but predictable, that even after the guy who builds the Schiit says that if there are audible differences, they are very minor yet people still insist they can hear big differences. Humans. :face_palm:

Of course the differences are tiny, but we humans have a tendency to take small things and blow them way out of proportion :smirk:

I am a fan of Mike’s Corollary though, because, even though differences may be tiny (a guitar still sounds like a guitar, a piano like a piano, etc), those tiny differences that are there can grow on you over time. Good or bad.

Like a mosquito flying around in the room - you might not notice it at first, but after a while it becomes really really irritating and all you want is to smash it. Or some nuance in the music that makes it really pleasing that is present in one system but not in the other - after a while listening to the other you realise there is something missing, it just doesn’t sound “right”..

Those tiny things are really hard to pick out in A/B because they are not readily or instantly apparent. Once found, it is easier, but you really have to get to know each system to find them.
YMMV of course, but that’s my reasoning based on my own experiences.

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #57,122 of 150,898
LOL. I remember in the late 50's and 60's guys with those boat-like, smooth rolling caddy's and other luxury types had 331/3 record players on the center hump of the front seat. Changing record sides was a challenge when driving unless one had a co-pilot. And it was amazing how the needle stayed down, but really, roads were alot better in those days, not sure if paving roads is a lost art or just failed big time with lowest bidders getting contracts. If you never road in one of those floaters its hard to understand how the needle stayed grooved.

I've heard of those. I've never seen one in person, but I've heard of them.

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #57,123 of 150,898
Audeze LCD-XC and Bifrost 2_Mjolnir.jpg

Some New Schiit

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #57,124 of 150,898
Feb 28, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #57,125 of 150,898
None of the 4 ideas mentioned are mine. The first three items are mentioned by @Baldr in the interview Darko had with Jason and Mike in October 2018.
Look at this YouTube video starting at 15 minutes in and listen to him explain.

Interesting.

I don't really have too much of an ear for this kind of stuff, but I did watch this demonstration video for signing on time, behind the time, or ahead of the time, and I found the topic fascinating. I doubt I could tell while listening to any song (and I suspect the vast majority of the songs I like are sang on the beat), but still. From watching the video, singing on the beat is the one I find the most appealing.

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #57,126 of 150,898
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #57,127 of 150,898
I’m all for tinkering, all systems have their quirks. I’m looking forward to a Loki Maxi myself. Syncing singers just touched the red line, like a gadget that removes syncopation. The mind boggles.

Feb 28, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #57,129 of 150,898
I’m all for tinkering, all systems have their quirks. I’m looking forward to a Loki Maxi myself. Syncing singers just touched the red line, like a gadget that removes syncopation. The mind boggles.

I'd be fun to have a balanced Loki version in at least a Jotunheim sized box, and some might like more points of frequency adjustment, but I'm not sure how much demand there might be. I don't have a feel for how well Loki has sold. But the difference in number between my first Loki purchased 9/2017 and my just acquired 2nd one is quite a few thousand if I'm interpreting the numbering convention correctly. Of course this is only a $150.00 device, in the bigger picture...

Feb 28, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #57,130 of 150,898
I've starting drinking coffee since joining this thread. (Wife won't agree to a cat.)

Time for a new wife then. I have a spare you can have. :)

Feb 28, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #57,131 of 150,898
Those tiny things are really hard to pick out in A/B because they are not readily or instantly apparent. Once found, it is easier, but you really have to get to know each system to find them.
YMMV of course, but that’s my reasoning based on my own experiences.

I wholeheartedly agree with this!!! I've found that I do very little "critical" listening anymore and just enjoy the music. I guess this is why I like Schiit so much, they have products that can get you 98% to what something that cost an order of magnatude more would set you back. I can live with this, which is why 10 months out of the year I use my parasound JC1's as amp stands for my Vidar...

Feb 28, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #57,133 of 150,898
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #57,134 of 150,898
Feb 28, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #57,135 of 150,898
Or was it this from the 1930s ...

What memories! That album was regularly playing in every other dorm room back when I was in college. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back