Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #57,106 of 151,038
Or was it this from the 1930s ...

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #57,107 of 151,038
In respond to some comments on my Gadget post.
None of the 4 ideas mentioned are mine. The first three items are mentioned by @Baldr in the interview Darko had with Jason and Mike in October 2018.
Look at this YouTube video starting at 15 minutes in and listen to him explain.
The fourth idea is Bob Katz's as mentioned in @Xcalibur255 post
@yonson Mike mentions Frank Sinatra as the singer that's most renown for singing behind the beat to make it sound more sexy in a period that everything was very clean and correct sounding. He also mentions The Stones and even explained to what album that happened.
As the name Gadget implies this is not for serious neutral music reproduction, but for fun to play around with.

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #57,108 of 151,038
Given the group of highly intelligent and diverse personalities in this forum, I would be surprised if the musical tastes were anything BUT eclectic. (That said @bcowen is clearly more than 5 standard deviations from the mean)

Yeah, OK, fine and all, but isn't 5 standard deviations from eclectic kinda like, um, normal? :) :)

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #57,109 of 151,038
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #57,110 of 151,038

LOL. It's definitely got that Rap Rhythm vocalizing but where's the "BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!, etc." bass background?

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #57,111 of 151,038
As the name Gadget implies this is not for serious neutral music reproduction, but for fun to play around with.

Thanks for taking the time to further explain. While I appreciate Mike's intent with 'Gadget', I feel that it is misplaced. Everyone knows that die-hard/staunch audiophiles do not like having fun and most certainly do NOT 'play around' with their music!! :unamused:

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #57,112 of 151,038
Talking is not rapping and if it were the beginnings go back further than we can contemplate. Debbie Harry composed Rapture after hearing black kids in NYC doing it on the streets who I doubt had any Meredith Wilson posters. All sounds like Shipoopi to me.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #57,113 of 151,038
Thanks for taking the time to further explain. While I appreciate Mike's intent with 'Gadget', I feel that it is misplaced. Everyone knows that die-hard/staunch audiophiles do not like having fun and most certainly do NOT 'play around' with their music!! :unamused:

I suspect that hardcore audiophiles would not appreciate me using my Loki to 'play around' with my music. "But that's not how the artist intended the music to be heard!!!"
My response might be "have you ever used your volume knob to listen at higher/lower volumes than what the artist intended??"

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #57,114 of 151,038
Talking is not rapping and if it were the beginnings go back further than we can contemplate. Debbie Harry composed Rapture after hearing black kids in NYC doing it on the streets who I doubt had any Meredith Wilson posters. All sounds like Shipoopi to me.

I'm not sure I agree, but to show that I appreciate your views, I just rapped your reply to a karaoke version of the Digital Underground's 'The Humpty Dance' while wearing my baseball cap sideways, sporting a chain with an over-sized clock pendant, and gesticulating excessively. :sunglasses:

I suspect that hardcore audiophiles would not appreciate me using my Loki to 'play around' with my music.

I'll try not to think any less of you. :smirk:

Besides, you're not 'playing' with the music, you are correcting for room effects and transducer short-comings. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #57,115 of 151,038
I'm not sure I agree, but to show that I appreciate your views, I just rapped your reply to a karaoke version of the Digital Underground's 'The Humpty Dance' while wearing my baseball cap sideways, sporting a chain with an over-sized clock pendant, and gesticulating excessively. :sunglasses:

I'll try not to think any less of you. :smirk:

Besides, you're not 'playing' with the music, you are correcting for room effects and transducer short-comings. :wink:
Glad to see that your acerbic Texas wit has not diminished.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #57,116 of 151,038
I suspect that hardcore audiophiles would not appreciate me using my Loki to 'play around' with my music. "But that's not how the artist intended the music to be heard!!!"
My response might be "have you ever used your volume knob to listen at higher/lower volumes than what the artist intended??"

I absolutely believe Loki is a great, cost effective way to get the sound where I like it. I've only ever felt the need to use it with my HD800 and SR1a and I've only felt the need to engage the 20Hx knob a little bit for certain instruments. But it can make a recording that's just missing it on the bottom end, as many of my 1950's and 60's recordings in particular are, or my 70's to 80's DG's in particular, more satisfying to my ears. And it can help any transducer that's coming up a little short in that area to my ears but is so good the rest of the way up, into something I can listen to again and again.

For me its not about whether its what the artist or recording engineer intended, what's more important is what sounds right and engaging to me. I went through the "straight wire with gain" sound in my early audiophile years and felt like I was cheating if I reached for the tone controls, and that's just great if every recording I owned was linear all the way to the bottom, or through any part of the audible range, but too many aren't so I wasn't as encouraged to listen to them that often. In the recent few years some recordings were better with my Utopia or Phi CC and others better sounding to me with HD800 as pertains to top to bottom frequency smoothness. Along came Loki and I can use any recording with any HP very satisfactorily. And now I add the SR1a to that list.

Generally once I set it for the transducer all twiddling after that is to get the sound of different recordings where I want it.

So for me its listen and enjoy or....

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #57,118 of 151,038
Or was it Johnny Cash with Boy Named Sue. Nope, it was Burl Ives, yep, Burl Ives invented rap.
As far as syncing singers, why stop there? Auto-tune Billie Holiday! :o2smile:
Just thinking about syncing Frank Sinatra because what did he know? My mind’s exploding.

:beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile: Burl Ives was mentioned during this morning's show!

All due respect to Ripper2860, but not according to Ken Webster, THE authority about the origin of rap (at least in SE Texas during morning drive-time radio). It's not enough for the vocalist to speak rhyming lines. The rhyming lines must be delivered rhythmically, in time to the music.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #57,119 of 151,038
I went through the "straight wire with gain" sound in my early audiophile years and felt like I was cheating if I reached for the tone controls,

In some ways I'm still there. I still feel a sense of guilt for selling my turntable because vinyl was too much hassle compared to CDs, especially in the car. Do you realize how slow you have to drive to keep the record from skipping? I feel somehow less worthy as an audiophile having ripped all my "perfect sound forever" media to a teeny-tiny hard drive.

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #57,120 of 151,038
In some ways I'm still there. I still feel a sense of guilt for selling my turntable because vinyl was too much hassle compared to CDs, especially in the car. Do you realize how slow you have to drive to keep the record from skipping? I feel somehow less worthy as an audiophile having ripped all my "perfect sound forever" media to a teeny-tiny hard drive.

LOL. I remember in the late 50's and 60's guys with those boat-like, smooth rolling caddy's and other luxury types had 331/3 record players on the center hump of the front seat. Changing record sides was a challenge when driving unless one had a co-pilot. And it was amazing how the needle stayed down, but really, roads were alot better in those days, not sure if paving roads is a lost art or just failed big time with lowest bidders getting contracts. If you never road in one of those floaters its hard to understand how the needle stayed grooved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back