Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #56,926 of 151,180
Schiit Saga - 3 Years of Reliable, Flexible, and Quality Audio

Three years ago I received my Schiit Saga. I originally purchased it as a remote control for a single ended amp and as a sub controller to augment said amp. Over the years I have run it in front of a few integrated amplifiers and dedicated power amplifiers. I have yet to burn out a single tube, and operation has been as close to flawless as I've experienced with a consumer product. Quality has been excellent regardless of source, whether DAC, HTPC, phone, or etc. It has handled music, movies, television, and gaming with aplomb.

I'm a believer in posting when things work and when they don't. The Schiit Saga just works. I couldn't be happier with this preamp!

EDIT: I forgot to note that I operate the Saga 12-24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

saga.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #56,927 of 151,180
I received my Gungnir Multibit back from Schiit with the new Unison Usb board. Take what I am saying with a grain of salt because I've had it hooked up about an hour. Also, its been almost a month from when I packed it up.

I definitely believe that the sound is upgraded. Everthing seems a little tighter, meaning transients faster. Listening to Yo Yo Ma, the cello seems more real than before. Noise floor does seem lower although again its been a month.

I do feel that it was money well spent to go from Gen (whatever was before 5) Usb, to Eitr to Unison. I had been listening with Eitr and a audioquest cinnamon coax cable.

Maybe the difference is just going direct to Gumby and dropping the other PSU, Eitr and extra cable. Can't say for sure, but I am thinking that it sounds the elusive "better".

This isn't meant to sound anything but positive. I'll report more in a few days.

Also worked right away with my Sonore MicroRendu.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #56,928 of 151,180
I'm a believer in posting when things work and when they don't. The Schiit Saga just works. I couldn't be happier with this preamp!
I agree with that.
My Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, Mjolnir2, and Freya (the last gifted to me by King Richard from the Wild Wild West to explain it's age) are all still great working machines.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #56,929 of 151,180
Sweet!! Interested in your impressions when you have time. I went back and forth between those and the Tektons and finally decided on the Tektons mostly due to the price. Haven't ever heard the Zu's so maybe it's best I don't know what I'm missing. :)
I debated between these two brands for nearly a year myself, then suddenly took a left turn and went with Omega. In a perfect world a person could try all three, but it felt wasteful to me to do all that shipping for what would have amounted to a demo more or less.

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #56,931 of 151,180
Any upgrades to yggy in the works? Or yggy 2?
Yggy got the Unison usb upgrade just this last month. Is this what you're asking about?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #56,932 of 151,180
Listening to Yo Yo Ma, the cello seems more real than before.

In little over a month I will hear Yo Yo Ma live, which will be the most real experience. But listening to you, your rig might well be second best :)

Feb 24, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #56,933 of 151,180
I debated between these two brands for nearly a year myself, then suddenly took a left turn and went with Omega. In a perfect world a person could try all three, but it felt wasteful to me to do all that shipping for what would have amounted to a demo more or less.

As I nearly went with Omega's myself, but in the end couldn't convince the wife to go with something that we couldn't audition in person before buying, I'm very interested in what model you bought and how you like them.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #56,934 of 151,180
In little over a month I will hear Yo Yo Ma live, which will be the most real experience. But listening to you, your rig might well be second best :)
That is the best I can describe multibit. Instruments sound real not like really good copies.

I always listen to Norah Jones Sinking Soon when evaluating DACs/Systems. . The first time I heard a multibit bit style DAC was actually the DAC in the Naim CDX2 cd player. I was blown away by the muted trumpet on that CD. Gumby and I'm sure Yggy sounded like it was in the room.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #56,935 of 151,180

Many years ago on one of his programs Yo Yo Ma performed the Dvorak Cello Concerto at the Academy in Philly, After the intermission he came back out with the orchestra, took a seat in the 2nd cellos, and played the Brahms 1st Symphony with the orchestra. Those of us in the audience were stunned that a world class cellist of his stature wanted to play with the orchestra but that said a lot to me about what type of person and musician he is. Can't remember if it was Sawallisch or Muti, or maybe even a guest conductor on that occasion but I'll never forget it.

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #56,936 of 151,180
But speaker demos are critical. I'm in the process of selecting speakers, and came to some conclusions.
  • I needed to actually listen to several different speakers before I discovered what I want and need in a speaker
  • It is important to evaluate speakers in my own room using my own equipment, to determine if they are a good match
I've accepted that the process of comparing speakers requires some extra expense and time. Without local dealers, the trial period offered by direct-to-consumer businesses should be considered as an opportunity to do a proper evaluation at home. The main negative is that if you want to compare several at the same time, they will be all on your credit card simultaneously but it will work out when you decide which one to keep.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #56,937 of 151,180
Many years ago on one of his programs Yo Yo Ma performed the Dvorak Cello Concerto at the Academy in Philly, After the intermission he came back out with the orchestra, took a seat in the 2nd cellos, and played the Brahms 1st Symphony with the orchestra. Those of us in the audience were stunned that a world class cellist of his stature wanted to play with the orchestra but that said a lot to me about what type of person and musician he is. Can't remember if it was Sawallisch or Muti, or maybe even a guest conductor on that occasion but I'll never forget it.

That's awesome. I wish I had seen it. I can only remember seeing him once, at the Hollywood Bowl. I think it was also the Dvorak concerto, and IIRC paired with Tchaik 4 or 5. Domingo was conducting, and after the concerto and first (solo cello) encore came out and did a second encore singing to Ma's accompaniment. I can't remember what they performed, but it was a striking evening, even over the HWB's mediocre amplified sound.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #56,938 of 151,180
So Freya S arrived this afternoon: unboxing done; this fellow looks gorgeous, heavy for its size. Shortly shall share my experience but our renovation is getting famous for delay! :deadhorse::ksc75smile::flag_pt:

edit: regarding the renovation a relevant thing regarding sound: we live in an old house (build more than a century ago) that used to have wooden floor and wooden structure below too. That is gone, partly eaten by termites but all replaced by concrete (solid PT style). Anyways we replaced the wooden floor but contractors messed up big time and used illegal wood. 2nd time went well but gave us the opportunity to do a little upgrade, we put cork underneath, i can hear already the acoustic improvement!! Some how lucky with the bad luck!!
The Freya S was functional this afternoon. Set it up in my temporary current system that is a mix of my main and kitchen system and the Freya S works wonderfully. I like the passive mode but in some cases not loud enough Yes then there is the 4x active mode. Sound is clean, clear and dynamic. Cannot say much more as the speakers are a meter apart on a tiny desk. Difference with the digital volume control seems to be in the low volume levels. To be continued

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #56,939 of 151,180
Any upgrades to yggy in the works? Or yggy 2?
Don't expect a Yggdrasil 2 any time soon. Jason has already said:
Depending on how Autonomy is received, it may or may not find its way up the line. However, it almost certainly won’t result in an Yggdrasil 2. Yggdrasil is a significant investment. We want to protect your investment. So, while we will be working to ensure that as many Yggdrasil upgrades as possible don’t require a factory visit, we’re not a fan of burning the current architecture to the ground and starting over. So, I’d expect that if you’d like an Yggdrasil with remote control, you won’t have to sell your current DAC in order to get it. Eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back