Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #56,266 of 150,460
Hello Fellow Followers Of Schiit & Jason

I'm at a small gathering at my brother's place and he's still using my old Magni 2/Modi 2 combo that I gave him when I upgraded to the Magni 3/Modi 3 a few years back. The M2/Mo2 combo my brother has, must be at least six years old this year and it's still running fine. Has anyone else got a piece of Schiit gear they've had for a long, long time that's still running? And Jason. What's the oldest piece of gear you have at Schiit that's still running? or has been sent into the Schiitbox for repair/replacement?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #56,267 of 150,460
How funny. When I sold my Stages/ Mini-Grands I bought a pair of Avalon Eclipse Classics, which I still have.
I went through Watt Puppy 6, B&W Notilus 801 and full range speaker after using Avalon Ascent II for two years.
I had been happy with Lansche 4.1 (plasma tweeter) since 2007.
But about two weeks ago, I also got Scaena 3.2 which I may play side by side with Lansche.

Again, how funny. I grew up in the same basic part of San Jose, CA as J&J Music, US distributor for Lansche. I've never heard a Lansche or Scaena speaker. I haven't added anything to my living room stereo in years. All old-school stuff.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #56,268 of 150,460
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #56,271 of 150,460
Spirit of Eden
Wow. I'm piddling around in the late morning, recovering from something I ate last night. And Saddleup posts about Spirit of Eden. I previously knew about Talk Talk, but not this followup.
I went to Youtube, fast, easy, free, and glitchy. Found it, and clicked to listen to the whole album. I don't know why; usually with a new-to-me lp I taste a song or two.
Even though I was playing at the lowest resolution I could feel great sound quality. More important, I really liked the music. Even at low res.
Thanks Saddleup

I found a review of Spirit of Eden on Pitchfork.
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/talk-talk-spirit-of-eden/

One of my pet peeves is when reviews of the arts mix up the realized monetary sales with the artistic achievement. The Pitchfork review I could have cut out all the parts about money. The art is great. That's what counts. Yeah, I know. Without people chasing money we wouldn't have a lot of art.

This just in: RKWs post above, with a link to the Highest Paid Musicians, was posted as I was writing my post. This boomer "knows" about 10 on the list, has vague knowledge of 5 and has heard of another 5.
Money is one thing, artistic achievement another thing. They overlap.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #56,272 of 150,460
OK Boomer :o2smile:

Who do you recognize (or not) on this list?
The Highest Paid Musicians in 2019
A few surprises for me. Some ancient bands/musicians I thought long faded are thriving.

I suspect a few on that list could not play a musical instrument to save their life. (A kazoo or a recorder does not count.). :p

They should separate musicians from entertainers.

BTW - I knew all but 3.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #56,273 of 150,460
I suspect a few on that list could play a musical instrument to save their life. (A kazoo or a recorder does not count.). :p

They should separate musicians from entertainers.

BTW - I knew all but 3.

How many of the newer performers (who rely on auto-tune / melodyne) would be able to perform acapella and not scare off their audience?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #56,274 of 150,460
How many of the newer performers (who rely on auto-tune / melodyne) would be able to perform acapella and not scare off their audience?

There are 5 on that list that scare me off with auto-tune or melodyne. :laughing:

Perhaps there should be a separate list of those who have made millions screaming obscenities into a microphone, and purify the musician list...

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #56,276 of 150,460
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #56,277 of 150,460
I like Marilyn Manson, so factor that in. :astonished:

I like him too, but there's a lot of auto-tuned people who don't write their own music and can't play an instrument on that list... It's scary that they would have any kind of success, let alone make it to a "most payed" list XD

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #56,278 of 150,460
Hello Fellow Followers Of Schiit & Jason

I'm at a small gathering at my brother's place and he's still using my old Magni 2/Modi 2 combo that I gave him when I upgraded to the Magni 3/Modi 3 a few years back. The M2/Mo2 combo my brother has, must be at least six years old this year and it's still running fine. Has anyone else got a piece of Schiit gear they've had for a long, long time that's still running? And Jason. What's the oldest piece of gear you have at Schiit that's still running? or has been sent into the Schiitbox for repair/replacement?
The oldest pieces of gear are probably Mike and Jason.

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #56,280 of 150,460
I like him too, but there's a lot of auto-tuned people who don't write their own music and can't play an instrument on that list... It's scary that they would have any kind of success, let alone make it to a "most payed" list XD

Agree. And while I'll never (personally) give them credit for anything even resembling music, I will give them credit for their ability to vacuum out people's wallets just by yelling. :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back