Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #55,531 of 149,303
Just read that Neal Peart (Rush) passed away on Tuesday.

Oh man, that sucks. Not how I wanted to start 2020. RIP Neil.
Time to play some "YYZ".

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #55,533 of 149,303
Re: perception burn-in. I’m all kitted out with different amplifiers (see my ridiculous image below). My first impression of my new Beyers was, yep, they’re comfortable to wear... they’re as airy sounding as my HD650-clones... but, meh... not a mind-blowing improvement.
And yet.
After several days of leaving them plugged into my Asgard 2 (powered on)... dammit. The ‘phones sounded different to me! What!?
My gut’s telling me I cooled down my expectations (instead of burn-in). And yes, enjoy the music. Pshhh... I still get excited plugging my cans into the different jacks (mid song) like a 20th Century switchboard operator. :ksc75smile:

{{{edit - my repurposed IKEA wine rack functions as a Schiit-Stacker... @Jason Stoddard ... sir, I’d still be interested in purpose-built furniture for 2020. Or, your company teams up with a local woodworker. My 2 cents...}}}}}
:)

Your picture was giving me a bad case of knob envy so I had to fix that. Mine's not from laboratory equipment or weighted, but it's the super deluxe premium audiophile-grade version complete with a black line. I must admit it makes the Vali more user friendly for my big fingers, so thanks for giving me a great idea to steal. :laughing:

(it's actually a little smaller than it appears in the photo...camera angle skewed it a little)

Vali Knob.jpg

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #55,534 of 149,303
Listening to the trees right as I type this

Not sure where the line between "poet" and "lyricist" begins or ends, but Neil covered the entire spectrum.
Tough day.

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #55,535 of 149,303
Your picture was giving me a bad case of knob envy so I had to fix that. Mine's not from laboratory equipment or weighted, but it's the super deluxe premium audiophile-grade version complete with a black line. I must admit it makes the Vali more user friendly for my big fingers, so thanks for giving me a great idea to steal. :laughing:

(it's actually a little smaller than it appears in the photo...camera angle skewed it a little)

hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahaahahahaahahaha
Why does this remind me of jack and the bean stalk?
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #55,537 of 149,303
Jan 10, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #55,538 of 149,303
I manually turned a bronze knob for Ragnarok sized knobs. It’s around somewhere. I’ll have to dig it out. I should get it satin nickel plated.
Big heavy MOAR knobs add a degree of 'heft' and an added sense of purpose to 'cranking it up' not to mention the 'enhanced' tactile sensation of twisting the BIG knob…
hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha

The Purp-Amp has big heavy knobs and I can spin them closed with a single quick twist.

JJ

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #55,539 of 149,303
Hey all,

I thought I'd give you a quick report from the blind listening last night. A more full report will come from Brian at Audio-Head probably within a few days, and I'm sure I'll be doing a chapter on blind listening in the future, because it's insanely interesting.

That is interesting, And insane. And insanely interesting.

I read somewhere [ :) ] that at Schiit, they don't just design to the numbers, they listen too.

Insane.

Not many companies would host that kind of listening session. And then let someone else control the main messaging afterwards.

Insane ^2.

You're my kind of people.

Jan 11, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #55,541 of 149,303
Jan 11, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #55,542 of 149,303

How in SamHell did you get that knob to slide on and remain centred?! I picked up various surplus knobs last year and screwed around with a jewellers' driver & mini-Allen-key. I chewed up the pot's axle with my tinkering. Rough tracking. Grinding. Stripped screws. All the stuff that makes Schiit techs cringe! I ended up using felt to smooth the tracking... oh, and buying gear with bigger poteniometers (sp?). :ksc75smile:
Ah, and I started snipping and chopping the tube adapter assembly clip clip clip. Trying to make the bloody thing sit perpendicular to the Vali's housing. The resin holding the pins was just slightly off kilter (these are NOT finely machined parts). I stopped pin cutting before I destroyed the adaptor. Pshhhh. Step away. Step awaaaaaay from the kludge.

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #55,543 of 149,303
How in SamHell did you get that knob to slide on and remain centred?!

Dumb luck? LOL! Requirement #1: get a knob with two setscrews that are offset 90 degrees from each other. Makes it much easier to keep it square with the front of the faceplate when the setscrews are tightened. And then tighten those screws just enough to keep the knob from slipping. Torqueing down hard is where trouble usually starts with things getting out of kilter. Worst case if it works loose is just tighten it down again.

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #55,544 of 149,303
That is interesting, And insane. And insanely interesting.

I read somewhere [ :) ] that at Schiit, they don't just design to the numbers, they listen too.

Insane.

Not many companies would host that kind of listening session. And then let someone else control the main messaging afterwards.

Insane ^2.

You're my kind of people.
+1 The transparency is amazing, one of the many reasons I love Schiit Audio :)

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #55,545 of 149,303

Users who are viewing this thread

Back