Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 26, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #55,009 of 151,218
Personally I have selective hearing loss. How much of you I hear depends on how much I like you at the time.

I'd say that's true for most people. Selective listening haha.

Dec 26, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #55,010 of 151,218
I assume that you all care about listening to music. And some of you (us) are no spring chickens. So, do yourself a (scary) favor and read Volume Control: Hearing in a Deafening World by David Owen. TL;DR hearing is a lot more fragile than standard measurements indicate. Hearing protection is mandatory in many more situations than we normally assume, and hearing loss more complex and difficult to address, although there are some new digital gadgets that go beyond the expensive and awkward standard hearing aid. For myself, I'll be ordering some pro earplugs (discussed in the book) to wear whenever I expect a loud environment. I wish I had known all of this decades ago...

Thanks for the tip. I've been flying professionally for 31 years now and have lost an easily measurable amount of hearing. Makes it a little hard to refer to myself as an audiophile lol. Worse than the hearing loss is the tinnitus but that's another matter. I'll give the book a read.

Dec 26, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #55,012 of 151,218
Dec 26, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #55,013 of 151,218
A couple years ago I got my hearing checked my a friend who was finishing her doctoral in audiology. I learned that thanks to rampant ear infections as a child, I have some mid frequency loss. Thus, I figure my ears are already EQ'ed to be that v shape response curve popular with some headphones, and might be why I prefer more flat response curves.

Dec 26, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #55,016 of 151,218
My wife says that I don’t listen to her. Or I think that is what she says.

ROFL! My wife says the same thing, and she's right. :relaxed:

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #55,017 of 151,218
I am happy I have always protected my hearing. At 52 years of age I have almost perfect hearing yet. I grew up on a farm and was in the military. I have flown in and been around aircraft for over 30 years. I was a locomotive engineer for over a decade and have been to countless rock concerts. I currently work in a very loud production facility. I ALWAYS wear my earplugs.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #55,018 of 151,218
After using custom fitted ear plugs I switched over to the foam tapered 'bullet' disposable ones.
I would buy a box of 200 pairs and have them scattered about in the cars in the M/C jacket and tank bag etc.

They work as well and usually better than the solid custom ear molded plugs and are far more 'adjustable'.
And as an added bonus you don't have to worry about loosing them… :ksc75smile:

JJ

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #55,019 of 151,218
Given all of the stress I've put my ears through, I'm still happy I can hear to about 13.5khz, but even that is with a -3 to -6 db rolloff starting around 10khz. And I'm only 36. Blame firearms, loud music, industrial jobs, etc. This year I started using hearing protection when mowing the lawn or blowing snow. I should probably look into the pro level protection.

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #55,020 of 151,218
From what I found, after about -40dB of attenuation to the ear canal (I don't know of any hearing protection that can really deliver this level of broadband SPL reduction), bone conduction kicks in and there isn't much you can do…
The 'best' of the foam bullets can hit a rating of ≈ -33dB of attenuation in the mids and up, with less elsewhere.

It can take a bit of practice to get them inserted for max effectiveness and wetting the ear canal first can really help in this regard.
I use water for the best results (make sure your fingers are clean) but I have used saliva with good results as well.

Be aware and cautious of sources of infection and ear wax build up etc.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back