Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 13, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #54,661 of 151,313
@Paladin79 , @bcowen I have a solution for this problem: since @bcowen seems to have a rather large "collection" of tubes and would like his OTL amp to operate with his 13 ohm headphones, and UPS allows for packages up to 116 inches combined girth or something like that, why not build the OTL amp with something like a input gain stage, 10x parallel devices for a driver stage, and 80x parallel output tubes, per channel. throw in some cathode degeneration to help with the current sharing. by the time @bcowen has matched up enough devices, the amp should be finished. :)

will also help to keep the house warm during the winter.

160 matched output tubes? Give me a couple weeks.

:smile:

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #54,663 of 151,313
There might be a few 'technical issues' but they are usually overcome with $$$$$.
Like the 8KV plate voltage, the 100amp at 7.5V filament voltage needs, but the power of 47.7KW power output MOAR than makes up for such piddling concerns.

MOAR POWER is ALWAYS better!
It's the uhmerikan Way.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #54,664 of 151,313
160 tubes? Why not go with a single 3CX10000?

JC

edit: there's nothing like a SET amp

LOL! Definitely a manly-man's tube with 8000 volts on the plates, 100 amps on the heater, and 100x the amplification factor of a 6080. Should be enough to drive low impedance 'phones to moderately loud volumes. :sweat_smile:

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #54,665 of 151,313
There might be a few 'technical issues' but they are usually overcome with $$$$$.
Like the 8KV plate voltage, the 100amp at 7.5V filament voltage needs, but the power of 47.7KW power output MOAR than makes up for such piddling concerns.

MOAR POWER is ALWAYS better!
It's the uhmerikan Way.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Quit typing while I'm typing. Geeez. :slight_smile:

Dec 14, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #54,666 of 151,313
at the higher data rate of 32/192 (32 bits / 192K samples per second), which is 3 times the amount bits compared to 24/96, your computer's USB and / or CPU was unable to keep up with feeding the DAC and simultaneously reading the mouse movements. if your source audio files were not 32/192 native to begin with, your CPU would also need to upconvert from the native file rate up to 32/192 which takes a lot of CPU power (if you're running a windows-based PC, you can open Task Manager and under the performance tab, look at the CPU usage while playing the 32/192 files). the original recordings were likely made at 16/44.1 or 16/48 and mastered and stored that way. 16 bits already provides a lot of dynamic range-- think pin-drop quiet to smoke-detector loud. Even if streamed to your computer at 24/96 or 24/192 they were likely upconverted somewhere, so using 24/96, or even 16/48 to feed the Modi Multibit thru any of its inputs is a better way to go.

Thank you for the explanation, it indeed seem to corroborate very well with what I am observing:

With gaming optical mouse:
USB, 32/192: At least 4 episodes of jittery mouse movements per 24 hours
Optical (direct), 24/192: 1 episode of jittery mouse movement within this 24 hours, some pops before playing certain non-24/192 files (most probably due to upsampling?)
Optical (converter), 24/96: 1 episode of jittery mouse movement within this 24 hours, more pops before playing certain non-24/192 files (most probably due to upsampling? Even 24/96 files are affected though)
USB, 16/48: Testing right now, no issues so far

With generic optical mouse:
USB, 32/192: No episodes of jittery mouse movements per 24 hours

Given that this jittery issue happened even before I upgraded to this brand new computer and changed into this new powered USB hub, I think the problem lies more with this particular gaming mouse. I suspect its age may be relevant, it was a 6 year old model which means it may not have sufficient USB shielding to keep up with current data rates and also its optical sensor may be on its way out. Will take a look at the 12.12 sales we have over here to see if I can get a new one for a good price.

This issue also means I may need to look into using a PCIe solution instead of USB or onboard audio for my audio needs (digital audio out and line-in recording) but I think I'll deal with the mouse thing first

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #54,667 of 151,313
Quit typing while I'm typing. Geeez. :slight_smile:
Of course you realize the size this amp would occupy right? (It would be about as big as a step van.)
And of course the 47.7Kw would require the electrical service capacity of a regular small house, all by itself.

But heh the quest for a shake the house down around our ears amp, not to mention the speakers to be able to handle this (they'd be about the size of a castle) is eminently doable.

So spare no expense, and lets not hear anymore 'quitter talk', so we can get a move on! :beerchug:

Times a waste'n, were burn'n daylight, are we done yet? :ksc75smile:

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahaa :ksc75smile:

JJ

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #54,668 of 151,313
(...after a week of listening...) I'm really enjoying my combination Bifrost Multibit 1.x and Asgard 2 classic stack. I was concerned the Asgard would be anemic when compared to my Magni3. And I fretted that the Bifrost would be ho-hum when compared to my EITR-ModiMB. Hell, I even was concerned that my HD6xx headphones would sound 'meh' on my Asgard 2. I. Was. Wrong. Did I want to get all butch and buy a Gungnir MB and a macho-man Mjolnir? Of course. I just couldn't justify the the balanced XLR outputs/inputs. It was unnecessary circuitry for my needs.
I like being wrong sometimes. :ksc75smile:

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #54,669 of 151,313
Of course you realize the size this amp would occupy right? (It would be about as big as a step van.)
And of course the 47.7Kw would require the electrical service capacity of a regular small house, all by itself.
JJ

Yeah. And?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Restraint and practicality are two words that are noticeably absent from my personal audio textbook, but I set a limit on 24 output tubes after some amps I had in the past. Fortunately they were monoblocks so only a dozen matched tubes were required for each. :grin: Guessing you'd probably need to start with around 500 tubes to end up with 160 that matched up closely....

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #54,670 of 151,313
Yeah. And?

Restraint and practicality are two words that are noticeably absent from my personal audio textbook, but I set a limit on 24 output tubes after some amps I had in the past. Fortunately they were monoblocks so only a dozen matched tubes were required for each. :grin: Guessing you'd probably need to start with around 500 tubes to end up with 160 that matched up closely....

I was planning on building something very minimalistic for Mr. Cowen, two tubes, a headphone jack, a volume pot and associated circuitry. Even GE tubes might cost too much for what I have in mind for him.

Here is a visual aid.... think something like this:

upload_2019-12-14_9-14-54.jpeg
Now were I building it for myself, it would be more along these lines:

upload_2019-12-14_9-16-20.jpeg
practically the same thing, only different. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #54,671 of 151,313
I was planning on building something very minimalistic for Mr. Cowen, two tubes, a headphone jack, a volume pot and associated circuitry. Even GE tubes might cost too much for what I have in mind for him.

Since I'm used I'm used to the Lyr 3 with one tube, two tubes will double the complexity. Just sayin'. :grin:

Fine. But mine will get better tube mileage.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #54,672 of 151,313
Since I'm used I'm used to the Lyr 3 with one tube, two tubes will double the complexity. Just sayin'. :grin:

Fine. But mine will get better tube mileage.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Very true, now as far as appearance, I plan on sparing no expense. I am searching for just the right materials for the top plate.

0c052f83b20a285a18b24a82f1e5fd8a.jpg

And the, um, wooden base...

cardboard.png
I may not use point to point wiring since that involves solder and soldering but i will figure out some method. Wire wrap, clothes pins, paper clips, I have all kinds of possible options. My budget for this project is $19.95, about the price of a Popeil Pocket Fisherman.

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #54,673 of 151,313

Functionally equivalent.

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #54,674 of 151,313
Yeah. And?

Schiit, I found the four tubes of the Valhalla 2 uncomfortably hot for South Florida. I guess you blast your AC or like feeling like you're in a sauna?

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #54,675 of 151,313
Very true, now as far as appearance, I plan on sparing no expense. I am searching for just the right materials for the top plate.

0c052f83b20a285a18b24a82f1e5fd8a.jpg

And the, um, wooden base...

cardboard.png
I may not use point to point wiring since that involves solder and soldering but i will figure out some method. Wire wrap, clothes pins, paper clips, I have all kinds of possible options. My budget for this project is $19.95, about the price of a Popeil Pocket Fisherman.

Top plate needs more patina (aka Rust). :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back