Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 13, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #54,646 of 149,303
The measurement is taken from the renowned Hobby Hifi magazine, which has been around for over 20 years. It is one of the three DIY loudspeaker magazines (next to Klang+Ton and hifi-selbstbau.de)
The distortion measurement shows d2 in blue and d3 in red. d5 is absent in this graph.
They measure in 1 meter distance in a 6x6x6m³ room. The woofers are mounted in the floor, which acts like the baffle, and under that is a giant 1000l, heavily damped cavity.
Thanks for the update. Makes much more sense now.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #54,647 of 149,303
Think of resistance for DC circuits and impedance for AC.

I will disavow any knowledge of your resistor splicing, I believe you have a rough idea how tricky it is to change output impedance on an amp now lol.

But if I use cooked and immediately cryo treated and quantum tunneled pure gold film resistors that are handmade by Tibetian monks on February 29th (only), I should be good. Yes? :laughing:

And no worries....I won't tell you when I do it so you can maintain plausible deniability. :smile:

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #54,648 of 149,303
And no worries....I won't tell you when I do it so you can maintain plausible deniability. :smile:

As if you could keep a secret. :D

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #54,649 of 149,303
But if I use cooked and immediately cryo treated and quantum tunneled pure gold film resistors that are handmade by Tibetian monks on February 29th (only), I should be good. Yes? :laughing:

I may change drivers in some extra headphones and if I like the high impedance result I could send them along. They will be open so you may have to curb your normal music choices for a bit. No sense putting your family through an intervention during the holiday season. They are likely to jump in and try to stop some of the Marilyn Manson marathon.:ksc75smile:

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #54,650 of 149,303
I may change drivers in some extra headphones and if I like the high impedance result I could send them along. They will be open so you may have to curb your normal music choices for a bit. No sense putting your family through an intervention during the holiday season. They are likely to jump in and try to stop some of the Marilyn Manson marathon.:ksc75smile:

LOL! Let me try the resistors first. I have a cable in-hand with some icky purple sleeve I can use to experiment with. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #54,651 of 149,303
LOL! Let me try the resistors first. I have a cable in-hand with some icky purple sleeve I can use to experiment with. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have no comment, jerk!!!:ksc75smile:

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #54,652 of 149,303
Think of resistance for DC circuits and impedance for AC.

I will disavow any knowledge of your resistor splicing, I believe you have a rough idea how tricky it is to change output impedance on an amp now lol.

Well, and impedance is much more capable than boring old resistance. Impedance can shift with frequency, and can vary with geometry. By comparison, resistance is boring. Even a mechanical guy can understand resistance.

I think the Feb 29 manufacturing date is an optional requirement, but quantum tunneled raw material is mandatory.

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #54,653 of 149,303
Disclaimer: I own about 5 DVD-A Discs and a player.

Ha. I own 4 DVD-A, 1 SACD and a player. Oh, and 1000-ish CDs. It's no wonder Schiit isn't interested in supporting DSD.
FWIW, I used a program called "DVD Audio Extractor" to rip my DVD-As. If I ever stumble on any cheap, used DVD-As at my local used cd purveyor (doubtful) I might pick them up just for grins.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #54,654 of 149,303
Ha. I own 4 DVD-A, 1 SACD and a player. Oh, and 1000-ish CDs. It's no wonder Schiit isn't interested in supporting DSD.
FWIW, I used a program called "DVD Audio Extractor" to rip my DVD-As. If I ever stumble on any cheap, used DVD-As at my local used cd purveyor (doubtful) I might pick them up just for grins.
I'd be interested in that software to backup my disks.

I have ~ a 1000ish CDs too and numerous standard DVD and Blu-Ray (maybe a couple in 4K) Concert Video disks some in surround sound.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #54,655 of 149,303
http://www.dvdae.com/

Free for 30 days. Pretty sure it's full-featured during that period. Work fast!

I've got 100 or so DVD/Blu-Ray concert disks that I've ripped using DVDAE and it worked fine, although you'll do some manual work on metadata if that's a concern for you (it is for me).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #54,656 of 149,303

Nope. February 29th, yes, but odd years only. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #54,657 of 149,303
http://www.dvdae.com/

Free for 30 days. Pretty sure it's full-featured during that period. Work fast!

I've got 100 or so DVD/Blu-Ray concert disks that I've ripped using DVDAE and it worked fine, although you'll do some manual work on metadata if that's a concern for you (it is for me).

Nope not too concerned with Metadata as long as the tracks play in order (I like to listen to Albums vice single tracks). So that sounds like an excellent solution for my needs.

I have a CD player at my desk as my primary listening source :p so good thing I'm happy with listening to albums.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #54,658 of 149,303
I bet I can figure out something to send you. Goals should be time-binding, I will build you something early next year. Most likely in February, March at the latest. 6sn7 and 6080 tubes. You best have high impedance headphones, 13 ohm will not cut it.:dt880smile:

@Paladin79 , @bcowen I have a solution for this problem: since @bcowen seems to have a rather large "collection" of tubes and would like his OTL amp to operate with his 13 ohm headphones, and UPS allows for packages up to 116 inches combined girth or something like that, why not build the OTL amp with something like a input gain stage, 10x parallel devices for a driver stage, and 80x parallel output tubes, per channel. throw in some cathode degeneration to help with the current sharing. by the time @bcowen has matched up enough devices, the amp should be finished. :)

will also help to keep the house warm during the winter.

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #54,659 of 149,303
@Paladin79 , @bcowen I have a solution for this problem: since @bcowen seems to have a rather large "collection" of tubes and would like his OTL amp to operate with his 13 ohm headphones, and UPS allows for packages up to 116 inches combined girth or something like that, why not build the OTL amp with something like a input gain stage, 10x parallel devices for a driver stage, and 80x parallel output tubes, per channel. throw in some cathode degeneration to help with the current sharing. by the time @bcowen has matched up enough devices, the amp should be finished. :)

will also help to keep the house warm during the winter.

LOL what a great idea, the heat signature alone would probably make the local authorities think he is operating a grow house and might lead to some interesting confrontations. :ksc75smile:

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #54,660 of 149,303
LOL what a great idea, the heat signature alone would probably make the local authorities think he is operating a grow house and might lead to some interesting confrontations. :ksc75smile:

Would be a good cover for the meth lab though. @tincanear 's idea is starting to sound pretty cool. Er..hot. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back