Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 19, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #53,656 of 150,665
CD Transport 101:

Ok fellow audio fans! Ive got a few questions for y'all...sorry if they're uber basic but the thread has alot of stuff around CD transports recently and i'd like to better understand.
I, like many of you im sure, have amassed a huge collection of CDs over the years. I know there's plenty of moment forward towards higher res files (and potential higher res streaming)
and backward towards a renewed interest in vinyl, both of which i support, but i still very much enjoy the sound of CD. That being said, i do find myself pulling out CDs less these
days given the convenience of a digital library. The transport talk has me very interested...a couple basic questions for y'all:

1) Is a CD Transport basically just a CD Player that only provides a digital signal? IE: A component that requires other components to convert to playable?
Is the advantage of such a system that you can use a much better DAC to convert the audio?

2) For existing CD Transport technology, what is the 'standard' digital out format? USB? Coax? Optical? A combo of these?

3) Do we have confirmation that Schiit is indeed planning on making a transport? Sorry if i missed it, but aside from a single line reference in one of Jasons replies,
I havent seen any details around a Schiit transport? If they are, count me in as an early adopter!

Thanks Y'all for such a great forum and site!!

Peace .n. "Music Can Change The World" -Beethoven

3ToF
1) You got it
2) S/PDIF
3) Yes, Schiit is well along in their development according to what has been shared here by them

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #53,657 of 150,665
CD Transport 101:
1) Is a CD Transport basically just a CD Player that only provides a digital signal? IE: A component that requires other components to convert to playable?
Is the advantage of such a system that you can use a much better DAC to convert the audio?
2) For existing CD Transport technology, what is the 'standard' digital out format? USB? Coax? Optical? A combo of these?
3) Do we have confirmation that Schiit is indeed planning on making a transport? Sorry if i missed it, but aside from a single line reference in one of Jasons replies,
3ToF
First of all I should mention that we're all just guessing here. There has been no "official" announcement of a Schiit Transport that I know of.
1. Yes basically it is just a silver platter like CD (SACD, Blu-Ray) spinner.
Yes, it requires another component (a DAC) to convert to an analogue signal.
Not only can you use a better external DAC, but also there is this separate transport box with:
- it's own power supply
- it's own print layout
- it's own clock??
- it's own EMI shielding
- it's own interface(s) to connect to the outside world. In the case of Schiit transport that would most likely include a Unison USB™ interface
That brings us to
2. Existing transports mostly have TOSlink (barf, barf) and coax SPDIF out. Sometimes AES/EBU, HDMI or I²S and rarely (I know of none) they have USB. USB input is more common to be able to plug in a memory stick. Most commonly used output is SPDIF coax IMHO.
3. Not that I'm aware of, but the rumour is very strong and has never explicitly been denied by Schiit. More than once Jason and Mike have hinted or even referred to a transport in the near future. So we have high hopes.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #53,658 of 150,665
1) You got it
2) S/PDIF
3) Yes, Schiit is well along in their development according to what has been shared here by them

and i believe, to make it easier for 3toes of fury, that in a CD-player internally the ''communication'' between the transport and the DAC is fully separated and not like S/PDIF all in one signal. I think that is what Schiit Audio is trying to achieve with their USB output; to keep all the different signal output from the actual transport as clean as possible into their external DAC. Of course I am not an expert but that is what I hope to read between the written lines :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #53,659 of 150,665
A USB transport brings up another question. Since Schiit DACs have only one USB input, will the signal be affected by going through a USB hub?

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #53,660 of 150,665
Thanks all for the great feedback, knowledge, and discussion. Much appreciated!

Now if you'll excuse me, i gotta dig out and start organizing my CD collection....lets see...i'll start with the pile of
"best of" cds first.....

cdpile-maxtordisplay.jpg

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #53,661 of 150,665
A USB transport brings up another question. Since Schiit DACs have only one USB input, will the signal be affected by going through a USB hub?

Unless the transport can transparently address the Unison input on the DAC through a hub I'm hoping Schiit provides the transport with a simple relay activated USB pass through so you can connect your computer USB out to the transport and choose which USB source is sent to the DAC with a front panel switch on the transport.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #53,662 of 150,665
...3) Do we have confirmation that Schiit is indeed planning on making a transport? Sorry if i missed it, but aside from a single line reference in one of Jasons replies,
I havent seen any details around a Schiit transport?...

Because the transport is a digital product the development has been led by Mike Moffat "Baldr" and most of the discussion has been in his Head-fi blog https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter.784471/ rather than Jason Stoddard's blog (this thread). Unfortunately Mike has been posting less often recently, due to medical issues making typing difficult; his last mention of the transport was in his post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-667#post-14801061 where he talks about the Schiit USB host (output) being developed for the transport.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #53,664 of 150,665
Thanks all for the great feedback, knowledge, and discussion. Much appreciated!

Now if you'll excuse me, i gotta dig out and start organizing my CD collection....lets see...i'll start with the pile of
"best of" cds first.....

cdpile-maxtordisplay.jpg

I want to hear this one. I mean if it's not too much trouble or anything. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

cdpile-maxtordisplay.jpg

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #53,665 of 150,665
IMHO amps make a bigger difference than DACs. My setup is Modi Multibit - Saga - Aegir - Zu Omen DW and I can confirm that the Aegir pairs very nicely with the Omen DW, but I haven't heard the Vidar in my system.
I say both having just acquired a Ragnarok 2(just the amp- -and it's one Schiitfull of a headphone amp) and Yggdrasil GS-- never have I heard such clarity separation etc. Have had original magni/modi. a fulla and a delta sigma Gungnir(which was played through an AVR)& still use a ME2 through the amp(no comparison to the Schiit DAC) and to top it off BOTH are in black which of course enhances the listening experience immensely. I know most you guys look down on the headphones I use(Sennheiser RS-195s& HD 598s) but sitting sitting on my (enclosed back porch w/195s and NOT freezing my ass off in upstate CNY) with a cigar and a Lagavulin--Jerry and the boys never sounded so good so clear so... 'separated' listening now to a 65 album/534 tracks of a Tribute to Gregg Allman playlist I made and I am in audiophile heaven--- God Bless Jason and Mike and ALL their Schiit.
bobbmd

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #53,667 of 150,665
I say both having just acquired a Ragnarok 2(just the amp- -and it's one Schiitfull of a headphone amp) and Yggdrasil GS-- never have I heard such clarity separation etc. Have had original magni/modi. a fulla and a delta sigma Gungnir(which was played through an AVR)& still use a ME2 through the amp(no comparison to the Schiit DAC) and to top it off BOTH are in black which of course enhances the listening experience immensely. I know most you guys look down on the headphones I use(Sennheiser RS-195s& HD 598s) but sitting sitting on my (enclosed back porch w/195s and NOT freezing my ass off in upstate CNY) with a cigar and a Lagavulin--Jerry and the boys never sounded so good so clear so... 'separated' listening now to a 65 album/534 tracks of a Tribute to Gregg Allman playlist I made and I am in audiophile heaven--- God Bless Janson and Mike and ALL their Schiit.
bobbmd

We need a blind listening test between silver and black. And oh yeah...purple.

I'm going green to see if it sounds better than purple. May have to adjust the cooking time.... :stuck_out_tongue:

upload_2019-11-19_19-58-46.png

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #53,669 of 150,665
LOL!-does the color of what you are drinking make difference during the comparison? love those threads in that photo-thanks for the 'like'

LOL!

Purple tastes better so far, but I haven't tried the green yet. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back