Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 20, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #53,686 of 149,026
LOL!

Purple tastes better so far, but I haven't tried the green yet. :relaxed:

I do find absinthe adds an interesting bit of clarity and coloration to what I am listening to. Paradoxically muddies and sharpens. Occasionally it allows for much better visualization of the music.

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #53,687 of 149,026
I do find absinthe adds an interesting bit of clarity and coloration to what I am listening to. Paradoxically muddies and sharpens. Occasionally it allows for much better visualization of the music.

I discovered that all it does is make me frisky, so I had to stop drinking it. I assume that is the origin of the phrase 'Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder".

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #53,688 of 149,026
I discovered that all it does is make me frisky, so I had to stop drinking it. I assume that is the origin of the phrase 'Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder".

Groan.

But I LOL'ed anyway. :smile:

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #53,690 of 149,026
Since your use of the green pre-dates that of @bcowen any claims he has to the color are now rescinded. :L3000:

But I showed the picture of it first (after you gave me the link), so therefore my rights are restored. Kinda. But I'm not an evil dictator either, so I'll allow @yonson to continue using what he already has. Mine will be a shade darker anyway after I cook them.... :smile:

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #53,691 of 149,026
But I showed the picture of it first (after you gave me the link), so therefore my rights are restored. Kinda. But I'm not an evil dictator either, so I'll allow @yonson to continue using what he already has. Mine will be a shade darker anyway after I cook them.... :smile:

I will get back to cooking a headphone cable soon and return your cable cooker next week perhaps. I have a few other projects going on that will need my attention. Maybe another lamp to repair, one never knows.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #53,692 of 149,026
Drat I forgot about that, ok if anyone asks me for the link to the cotton mesh, they cannot buy the green, @bcowen has laid claim to it and we should all humor him. After all he is unique, just like everybody else. :ksc75smile:
Yes we are all snowflakes a drift in a blizzard...wait where did you go? :wink:

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #53,693 of 149,026
Also, absinthe! I have these two waiting in the wings to imbibe lol

BE86ADD8-0F2B-46BC-BA67-E77B97871BEA.jpeg
0D9E370A-7A3E-4463-A92D-53EB7E6734A8.jpeg

I’ll have to try them with my headphones (which is 90% of how I imbibe anyhow, music and booze for the win!)

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #53,694 of 149,026
I say both having just acquired a Ragnarok 2(just the amp- -and it's one Schiitfull of a headphone amp) and Yggdrasil GS-- never have I heard such clarity separation etc. Have had original magni/modi. a fulla and a delta sigma Gungnir(which was played through an AVR)& still use a ME2 through the amp(no comparison to the Schiit DAC) and to top it off BOTH are in black which of course enhances the listening experience immensely. I know most you guys look down on the headphones I use(Sennheiser RS-195s& HD 598s) but sitting sitting on my (enclosed back porch w/195s and NOT freezing my ass off in upstate CNY) with a cigar and a Lagavulin--Jerry and the boys never sounded so good so clear so... 'separated' listening now to a 65 album/534 tracks of a Tribute to Gregg Allman playlist I made and I am in audiophile heaven--- God Bless Janson and Mike and ALL their Schiit.
bobbmd
And the HD598s take comfort to the next level. They are by far the most comfortable cans I own - though I prefer Highland Park...

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #53,695 of 149,026
That is a huge problem. If there are no reviews, no impression threads how in earths name will you ever be able to establish how it sounds. No clue whatsoever.
Wait ......wait, my wife just whispers something in mu ear. Listen for yourself? What? Make my own decision? Creepy. Never done that before. Must try it once.
What sort of monster are you?? So you're saying I should listen to it and use my own experience to form my own impressions on how it sounds?!

But...what if my subjective impressions are...wrong? What would head-fi think of me if my own impressions didn't line up the general consensus? I think it'd be safer to just read someone elses impressions, preferably someone who has like 20k posts on head-fi, and then regurgitate them as my own! Then everyone would think "wow this Cory guy really knows his schiit, he was spot on with his Jotunheim impressions, I should ask him if he wants to borrow my wife" something like that...

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #53,696 of 149,026
Also, absinthe! I have these two waiting in the wings to imbibe lol

I’ll have to try them with my headphones (which is 90% of how I imbibe anyhow, music and booze for the win!)

I need to pick up some absinthe at some point. It has been a long time since I have had some.

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #53,697 of 149,026
Thanks all for the great feedback, knowledge, and discussion. Much appreciated!

Now if you'll excuse me, i gotta dig out and start organizing my CD collection....lets see...i'll start with the pile of
"best of" cds first.....

cdpile-maxtordisplay.jpg
That's maybe 2-3x my DVD stash. I had all of my discs stacked in my apartment living room until I came home one day to find them in a pile on the floor. I then rearranged my setup and moved them into the bedroom....where a few months later I found them on the floor again. This time from the neighbor banging into their side of the wall knocking them loose.

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #53,699 of 149,026
That is a huge problem. If there are no reviews, no impression threads how in earths name will you ever be able to establish how it sounds. No clue whatsoever.
Wait ......wait, my wife just whispers something in mu ear. Listen for yourself? What? Make my own decision? Creepy. Never done that before. Must try it once.

Nah, listening for yourself is grossly overrated.
You should only listen to what others say.
In fact, specifically what I say :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Or not. Perhaps definitely not :wink:

On a serious note though, impressions threads and discussions are very valuable as it is not always easy to get to hear for yourself the gear you’re interested in. Even if the company accepts returns, the shipping both ways plus restocking fee can be several hundred dollars. Then multiply by the number of gear you’re interested in... yep, major bank account drainage.

You’d have to use your critical eye (or ear) reading impressions though, as it’s of course personal opinion. A good starting point is to ask for comparisons relative to some gear you have or otherwise have heard and know how it sounds.
To some degree this should help to narrow down the list of gear you’d want to take a real listen to.
:L3000:

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #53,700 of 149,026
He is smart but he is trouble too. He knows I generally wake up about 6 am and on days I want to sleep in he starts knocking things off a bedside table about 6:05 if I am not up and around. He managed to knock the same lamp off the table twice but he did try to help me repair it.

If any of you would like to get some of the green or purple cotton based mesh for projects, just PM me and I will get you a link. It takes a while to get here but they have a decent assortment of colors. They measure the width flat so 6 MM might stretch up to a 1/4 inch diameter.

the lamp looks like it belongs inside the Leaning Tower of Pisa :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back