Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 18, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #52,246 of 151,247
Since a question and a review of Bifrost 2 came up recently, let me just add my 2 cents.

I was at first put off by the increase in price from $600 to $700, but this is just a knock-out DAC! Spacious, good timbre...I have a standard set of classical music tracks I listen to for 'test purposes’. I expected improvement, but I’m just blown away by this. Or to put it differently, as the test tracks were playing, I just sat down and listened to the music for an hour. That’s unusual for a ‘test scenario’.

Currawong had a nice review, I won’t try and duplicate that, only to say it is consistent with my impressions.

I have not yet tried to compare it to Yggdrasil. It is inconvenient for me to install the Bifrost in that system, and that is not where I will use it in any case.
Compared to the original Bifrost (not gen 3 usb) it just lifts a veil, gives a richer, more natural timbre to the music. Bifrost multibit OG is good, that is where I started with Schiit, shocked at how much better it was than my previous $900 sigma-delta DAC. And that was not just something ‘new’. Every time I put that old DAC in a system, compare it even to modi multibit , the old DAC goes back in the drawer. Well, now I have a Bifrost OG that I need to give to a friend.

Since Ableza has noted that ‘xx%’ better is foolishness, I will just say that for me it is ‘x%’ better. YMMV

addendum: Asgard 3 is also a good product...but for me it is not a 'blow-away' like the Bifrost 2. It has more top end sparkle than vali 2, but for me less detail, less spacious. But these are small differences and trade-offs. If you don't want to mess with tubes and a larger form is not a problem, Asgard 3 is excellent choice at the ..'budget level'
Maybe with the addendum it's my 3 cents...

NF
was USB or S/PDIF source used for the Bifrost Multibit (OG) vs Bifrost2 comparison? what headphones / impedance version did you test with Asgard3 vs Vali2?

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #52,247 of 151,247
Did you freeze them first? Reese's need to be cryogenically treated to provide sonic improvements.
Not to mention they taste WAY better, but you do have to wait for them to reach room temp again… hahahahahahahaha

JJ

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #52,248 of 151,247
Tincanear asked:
was USB or S/PDIF source used for the Bifrost Multibit (OG) vs Bifrost2 comparison?
what headphones / impedance version did you test with Asgard3 vs Vali2?

Start with Vali2 cf Asgard 3
It's modi multibit DAC > hp amp. >Senn 6xx headphones
Vali 2 is on hi gain. Asg 3 on low because on high gain I have to set the volume at on 8:30, and it is very delicate to adjust then for the volume I want.
Asg 3 in my experience is better if you put sys in front of it, turn down the volume, and then run Asg3 hi gain with volume around 12:00. BUT then you are not talking about just using a $200 hp amp. For me Vail2 and Asg 3 are both incredible values at their price, I happen to prefer Vali 2.

Bifrost cf: both were with usb input from a Win 10 computer.
I fed them into Mjolnir 2 (standard tubes), using
rca connects for BF OG
balanced from BF 2,
and when using headphones listened balanced into Focal/Masdrop Elex headphones.

So yes, I could have used S/PDIF into BF OG, but didn't try that.:triportsad: Oops. Well, I would have to move Eitr from its designated use and fuss and bother, so that's why I didn't try it. :)

NF

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #52,249 of 151,247
Apparently any picoreplayer that is also running LMS should always be shut down rather than unplugged to write the cache to the SD card. I was guilty of this and had to reinstall the program several times before breaking myself of the bad habit.
Yep. I run LMS on an Intel Stick Computer attached to an external HDD - that way the Pi is just a player, not the server. Stick computer works a treat!

Oct 19, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #52,250 of 151,247
I've visited their website, and after reading a bit about the product, I was SURE it's some kind of a joke about the audiophile world.
But apparently it's NOT! You can actually purchase those things.
And there are posts about them, and reviews... Wow!

BTW, I'm from Israel, so in case anybody wants, I can send you bottles of "Holly Water" straight from the Jordan river. I've heard it's magic. Just pour some drops on top of your amplifier and you'll hear God as never before!
I am not sure people would like pouring water on electric appliances. What we could do in partnership is filling dud tubes with water from Jordan river, adding some unconnected sockets to tube amps, ask @Paladin79 for help with lighting up dud tubes with LEDs, and resell the tube amps as HolyGrail modification for significant premium

Oct 19, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #52,251 of 151,247
I am not sure people would like pouring water on electric appliances. What we could do in partnership is filling dud tubes with water from Jordan river, adding some unconnected sockets to tube amps, ask @Paladin79 for help with lighting up dud tubes with LEDs, and resell the tube amps as HolyGrail modification for significant premium

So, no more need for thoriated peanut butter cups?

Oct 19, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #52,252 of 151,247
Why, there is always competition in the audiophile market, what?

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #52,253 of 151,247
I am not sure people would like pouring water on electric appliances.

It's all in the technique. Pouring would likely not be optimum and could get rather expensive depending on relative humidity and evaporation rate. A light sprinkling or even a fine misting has a higher probability of improvement, as even holiness is best done in moderation. :laughing:

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #52,254 of 151,247

Crap. So much for my planned retirement income. Maybe time to do some blind testing with Reeses pieces... :slight_smile:

Oct 19, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #52,255 of 151,247
It's interesting that I can get a Multibit DAC (and all of the unique development) for 2-fiddy but others think something with WiFi and a few outputs is reasonable @ $400.

I bought a Chromecast Audio for $15. $400???
I use Sonore Ultrarendu and Elac Discovery players. To each his own.

Oct 19, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #52,256 of 151,247

O yeah. I picked that up living in the Middle East for about 5 years now. But only now and then. It's mightily unhealthy.

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #52,257 of 151,247
Oct 19, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #52,258 of 151,247

At my workplace we have a nuclear power plant, which is ten years late. I think the plant suppliers progress reports could very well be made up as well.

Oct 19, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #52,260 of 151,247
There's always been a plenitude of methodologies for immanentizing the eschaton... :ksc75smile:

Is there an English translation for that? :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back