Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 18, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #52,216 of 151,690
Connected to a 2TB SSD drive that I use to carry music between home and work. First indexing took maybe 20 mins, but updates since then (when I add music) are very quick. I think moOde has been improved in the last year, when I tried it back when I built the device, I had a similar experience to yours. Before moOde I had been using piCorePlayer, but that became flaky for still unclear reasons.
Apparently any picoreplayer that is also running LMS should always be shut down rather than unplugged to write the cache to the SD card. I was guilty of this and had to reinstall the program several times before breaking myself of the bad habit.

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #52,218 of 151,690
I've visited their website, and after reading a bit about the product, I was SURE it's some kind of a joke about the audiophile world.
But apparently it's NOT! You can actually purchase those things.
And there are posts about them, and reviews... Wow!

BTW, I'm from Israel, so in case anybody wants, I can send you bottles of "Holly Water" straight from the Jordan river. I've heard it's magic. Just pour some drops on top of your amplifier and you'll hear God as never before!
I sent them an email in answer to their question about reasons why those black discs work.
Cannot tell it here. My post would be banned.

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #52,219 of 151,690
BTW, I'm from Israel, so in case anybody wants, I can send you bottles of "Holly Water" straight from the Jordan river. I've heard it's magic. Just pour some drops on top of your amplifier and you'll hear God as never before!
Can I have a puff of carbon from that burned bush instead?

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #52,221 of 151,690
Can I have a puff of carbon from that burned bush instead?
The_Excalibur.jpg

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #52,222 of 151,690
I've visited their website, and after reading a bit about the product, I was SURE it's some kind of a joke about the audiophile world.
But apparently it's NOT! You can actually purchase those things.
And there are posts about them, and reviews... Wow!

Well some products are aimed at audiophiles, others at audiophools.

My poor limited brain is also incapable of believing that a $350 AudioQuest ethernet cable will enable my network streamer to sound better, and that the direction in which it's plugged in can make a difference.

Pity me.

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #52,223 of 151,690
Well some products are aimed at audiophiles, others at audiophools.

My poor limited brain is also incapable of believing that a $350 AudioQuest ethernet cable will enable my network streamer to sound better, and that the direction in which it's plugged in can make a difference.

Pity me.
Just believe your own ears. Even if your fooling them.
It's your pleasure and prerogative.

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #52,225 of 151,690
To that end, does anyone have experience with Bifrost vs Yggdrasil? I know Bifrost 2 is getting raves, but I have to say, I have trouble imagining how anything could sound better than my Bifrost MB. Music sounds so great with it on my system!

With that said, I have been slowly saving up for the flagship Yggdrasil once Unison is released for it. But I would welcome input from anyone with experience between the two DACs. Are we talking a 5% improvement in SQ or something more significant? I do my music listening over speakers primarily.

I don't want to spend money for spending money's sake. And I despise chasing ever elusive carrots, but I do believe in buying "up" when I can - when "up" is actually "up." Case in point: Bifrost MB/Freya+/Monoblock Aegirs/Tekton DIs is so far up from the old Denon receiver and Boston bookshelf speakers they replaced that I can barely see the ground from here. There's nothing side-gradey about the difference.

My experiences with Schiit gear have only made me want to climb the ladder further. But only if it is going to take me significantly higher. I would greatly appreciate thoughts from people with experience here.

Some thoughts:

I own Yggdrasil and Bifrost Multibit...personally I notice a difference between them, but more importantly owning Yggdrasil has completely eliminated any nervosa about "whether there's anything better". I know I wouldn't want to spend more, and also have such respect for Mike/Jason that if this is what they released as TOTL, then that's good enough for me. =-)

Additionally, I quite enjoy having multiple systems, because instead of thinking of them as good/better/best, I try to discover their individual character and any parts of music that are revealed on one system vs another.

My original stack of Modi3 + Loki + Magni 3 is a work setup.

The Yggdrasil + Freya+ + Mjolnir 1 is connected to both headphones and some studio monitors for different experiences depending on my mood.

Lastly the Bifrost Multibit + Asgard 2 is a bedside table setup.

Oh, and I couldn't resist a black Asgard 3 at the current price...haven't decided where this system will go, probably Office or Front Room.

My point being: the system + environment together determine the experience, why not have several different options! =-)

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #52,226 of 151,690
Apparently any picoreplayer that is also running LMS should always be shut down rather than unplugged to write the cache to the SD card. I was guilty of this and had to reinstall the program several times before breaking myself of the bad habit.
Thanks, but that wasn't the problem, I always did a proper shutdown. I run my work system disconnected from any network (security constraints). Officially, piCorePlayer cannot work that way but I was able to hack it with a fixed IP address (as opposed to DHCP) and it worked that way for a while. But that only worked with pCP 4.1, not with the later pCP 5.0, and the pCP dev told me it would never work. Second, as my 2TB ExFAT SSD filled up with music, mounting on startup became more erratic. Eventually I had to reboot multiple times for it to mount, even with a different mount delay. I tried moOde again, and it just worked.

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #52,228 of 151,690
But I would welcome input from anyone with experience between the two DACs.

Following Bifrost and Gungnir in my system, Ygdrasil is the first DAC that removed all sense of digital harshness. Which I hadn't really noticed before, but when it's gone that's like suddenly recovering from a low grade fever you hardly realized you had. Dunno what that sort of relief counts as in terms of percentages, or what it's worth to you.

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #52,229 of 151,690
But I would welcome input from anyone with experience between the two DACs.

Following Bifrost and Gungnir in my system, Ygdrasil is the first DAC that removed all sense of digital harshness. Which I hadn't really noticed before, but when it's gone that's like suddenly recovering from a low grade fever you hardly realized you had. Dunno what that sort of relief counts as in terms of percentages, or what it's worth to you.
That's a great way of putting it. I described the sound of Yggdrasil as analog smooth without losing digital resolution.

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #52,230 of 151,690
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back