Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 17, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #52,141 of 150,294
Oct 17, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #52,142 of 150,294
You need to post more because that avatar is the schiit.

Lol, thanks. I wish I could post more, but I don't have the patience/money to try out lots of equipment and contribute anything productive. I just hear steady improvements as I gradually upgrade my chain over many years. I'm pumped about hooking up a high-quality amp to my Boenickes (which I'm proud I got for 2/3 price... demo units!), but I'm hesitant before I jump and spend the money. Part of the reason I lurk here is to guess some insight about what my next step should be without needing to compare a bunch of gear.

I have an OG Modi/Vali stack for my Mad Dogs, and I heard a Yggdrasil/Ragnarok combo on HE-1000s at a meet a few years ago, so I have high hopes for a Schiit speaker amp. I love the design/ethic of Schiit too. (Design and aesthetics are under-appreciated in Audiophileland IMO.)

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #52,143 of 150,294
@Jason Stoddard I have found my euphonic endgame, using @Paladin79 discovery of a system of aune T1 DAC with tube buffer and Vali 2. Would Schiit think of a similar DAC? Just wondering....

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #52,144 of 150,294
@Jason Stoddard I have found my euphonic endgame, using @Paladin79 discovery of a system of aune T1 DAC with tube buffer and Vali 2. Would Schiit think of a similar DAC? Just wondering....

In the reviews of it on head-fi my attention was drawn to a long list of different tubes that have been tried with it, including (if I remember correctly) @Pietro Cozzi Tinin 's beloved Electron United tubes... :)

Reviewer liked them as being very musical. :)

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #52,145 of 150,294
I used to use tube-buffered DACs and solid state amplification. Now I use solid state DACs and tubed amps and preamps. I find that solution to sound much nicer. To my ears, of course.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #52,146 of 150,294
In the reviews of it on head-fi my attention was drawn to a long list of different tubes that have been tried with it, including (if I remember correctly) @Pietro Cozzi Tinin 's beloved Electron United tubes... :)

I usually use twin single triodes in both, whilst occasionally sticking in some good double ones: RCA 6SN7 Grey Glass, the Holy Grail Brimar CV1988, TungSol VT-163

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #52,147 of 150,294
For those in an IOS environment, does anyone know if any music services ( with download capability) can take advantage of the new capabilities in IOS 13 of connecting external drives? That would be awesome for me traveling with my Oppo HA 2SE and a small portable drive.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #52,148 of 150,294

Beh.. but I am just a "listener". No tube knowledge whatsoever when it's not braided in your human body.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #52,149 of 150,294
Is Fulla 3 gonna have a Flimby option?

Kill the nicknames please. Lol

Yes, please kill the nicknames. Jason has stated on more than one occasion as to the "why".

"Flimby" is not a thing. Please stop using it.

Having said that, I've enjoyed bosiemoncrieff's coffee and music related posts.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #52,150 of 150,294

FWIW, Bifrost 2 (or, more specifically, Unison USB, as elucidated by beta testers) has been said to have a "euphonic" presentation by a number of folks, which roughly translates to tube-like, sort of, maybe, YMMV etc.

I use mine with a Valhalla 2 and find it to be tilted a bit warmer than Bifrost 1 Mutlibit w/ Gen 5 USB, but not necessarily tube-like. Certainly is pleasing to listen to, if that's what we take 'euphonic' to mean!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #52,151 of 150,294
Holistic, yeah that's the ticket. And thanks for that, as now I realize why I kept saying Holey Schiit when I listened to my blessed music… :pray:

And hear is another audiophool little known treasured secret…:wink:
Just think about the cumulative effects of taking your 'used' cryo tears (Holey water) and sprinkling it on (non operating) gear, and of course waiting for it to dry by the light of the full moon.
And then listening to it.

It paradigm shifts the term 'Holey Schiit' into whole other dimensions.
Trust me, you won't believe it…

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Not to be a boor or anything but that's like nothing compared to these. Just stick 'em anywhere in the room, and all your Schiit will instantly become Super Schiit:

http://madscientist-audio.com/blackdiscusreg.html

upload_2019-10-17_18-37-38.png

I haven't tried them and I know it's bad form to make fun of something you haven't tried, but sometimes it's just too hard to resist. To be fair, their graphene contact enhancer does make a difference when used in the right spots in the right quantity, but at least that has a reasonably plausible explanation.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #52,152 of 150,294
FWIW, Bifrost 2 (or, more specifically, Unison USB, as elucidated by beta testers) has been said to have a "euphonic" presentation by a number of folks, which roughly translates to tube-like, sort of, maybe, YMMV etc.

I use mine with a Valhalla 2 and find it to be tilted a bit warmer than Bifrost 1 Mutlibit w/ Gen 5 USB, but not necessarily tube-like. Certainly is pleasing to listen to, if that's what we take 'euphonic' to mean!

"Some people" need to temper their impressions with a disclaimer: "In my system, based on my experience, XYZ is slightly more (dry, euphonic, etc) than ABC."

Here's the thing. To me, Bifrost 2 is our most neutral multibit DAC. It may skew very slightly warm, but it's very slight. But that's to me, in my system (I run a bunch of amps on top of the Bifrost 2, but also I'm using darker headphones, like Ether 2s and such). And that's my perception. Someone else may have a totally different view.

And another thing...let's emphasize SLIGHT. We all like to make changes seem like they're night and day, especially when a product costs a ton of money. But the reality is that the changes are gonna be relatively small, when compared with any transducer. At the recent Multibit vs delta-sigma blind listening we did at the Schiitr, the one consistent comment was that the differences were smaller than expected. (To me, subjectively, the tonality changes were relatively small, but the soundstage changes were larger, when compared to the blind tube listening.) But again, this was a flawed test. We'll be re-doing it next month with 4 DACs (Modi 3, Modi Multibit, Gungnir D/S, and Gungnir Multibit), with an Avermetrics brought for level-matching and instant switching thanks to a new streaming system. Then we'll see how it goes.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 17, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #52,154 of 150,294
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back