Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #52,111 of 148,984
Wait...you know about this? Crap. I thought it was my own secret. Oh well. But since you've spilled the beans, I'll just say that every time I get a blessed component back, it just sounds more, um, holistic. :grimacing:

I was not aware of that. Thanks! That will save a bunch of time getting the parts ready!

Well, yeah. I mean duh. Everyone knows that, right? The problem for me was the tear generation. I tried a mid-60's GE 6SN7 in the Lyr 3, but that just put me to sleep. Then it dawned on me to plug in a mid-80's Philips ECG. That brought on the tears. Not because it sounded bad (I already knew that), it just made me very sad that someone intentionally created a tube that sounds worse than a GE. :grin:
Holistic, yeah that's the ticket. And thanks for that, as now I realize why I kept saying Holey Schiit when I listened to my blessed music… :pray:

And hear is another audiophool little known treasured secret…:wink:
Just think about the cumulative effects of taking your 'used' cryo tears (Holey water) and sprinkling it on (non operating) gear, and of course waiting for it to dry by the light of the full moon.
And then listening to it.

It paradigm shifts the term 'Holey Schiit' into whole other dimensions.
Trust me, you won't believe it…

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #52,112 of 148,984
@Jason Stoddard How hard would it be to make the products with muting relays work well in combination with external power switches, like smart plugs, outlets with switches, surge protectors with an off switch, etc.? The Jotunheim continues to produce sound for a bit if power is cut externally, and the Vidar produces a gnarly pop when it's powered on externally (The one time I tried that - never again :o2smile:).
I now have two systems where I want the convenience of flipping a single switch to power everything on or off, and Schiit's offerings don't fit in well, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #52,113 of 148,984
Interesting read about the joys of launching new products and a strong sense of deja-vu for me. The first thing I’ve ever designed, built and patented is currently sitting out in a field in Fairbanks, Alaska undergoing extreme weather testing. I’m betting it will be stone cold dead by January.

Sheesh, you want extreme weather testing? try the northern parts of Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota. We went from 65-72 degrees on a Tuesday to thunderstorms and hail on a Wednesday to between 12-30 inches of snow on Thurs/Friday.

Also, I played college football with bunch of Alaskans, they couldn't hang with cold we got in Northwestern Minnesota..

Anyway, now that my odd weather brag is over, good luck on your invention.

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #52,114 of 148,984
I was being facetious of course. I have seen some of Bill's soldering on Cary equipment and his work is exceptional. Replacing the solder in tube pins is not easy and he is getting that down as well.:smile_phones:
Yes I new that, but it did remind me of when as a young lad of about 12 stepped (bare foot) on a hot soldering iron. I smelt it before I felt it! Was difficult getting to sleep that night...

How did I manage that one you might ask. I had left it on top of a steel tool box, and then, maybe 10 minutes later, forgotten for the moment, stepped on the tool box to reach something on a higher shelf.

Yep. Not the dumbest thing I ever did, possibly the most painful.

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #52,115 of 148,984
@Jason Stoddard

I am also looking for a Electrostatic Amp from you guys.

You guys need to tap into this amp section of a market. Staxs amps and Sprizters amps are too much for no reason. I hope that someone starts making cheap Electrostatic amps. You guys already made it clear you can do dynamic and planar amps. Time to start getting into electrostatics!!

Schiit to do list:

Schiit Electrostaic amp
Schiit Headphone'
Schiit THX

When I read this I already knew Jason's answers.
But then I thunk up some Things-to-stick-Schiit's-logo-on. You know, get-your-name-out-there non-electronic things. No engineering involved. A couple inspired by subjects often posted here and at Mike Moffat's thread:

Schiit DAC Cozy
Schiit Coffee Mug
Schiit Cat Litter Box

Maybe it could be called The Schiit Literally Cat crap Litter Box?

(and, just for me for suggesting the above) (or just accept an apology)
Schiit Scourge

Now for something completely different. Thanks to all for the music suggestions. A lot of new to me and rediscovered wonderful music from this and Mike's thread.
Here's one I found, with an associated video worth watching on a 20" or larger screen.

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #52,116 of 148,984
Sheesh, you want extreme weather testing? try the northern parts of Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota. We went from 65-72 degrees on a Tuesday to thunderstorms and hail on a Wednesday to between 12-30 inches of snow on Thurs/Friday.

Also, I played college football with bunch of Alaskans, they couldn't hang with cold we got in Northwestern Minnesota..

Anyway, now that my odd weather brag is over, good luck on your invention.

No argument Northwestern Minnesota is extreme. It would undoubtedly work just as well. Fairbanks has some advantages for me though. The most important is a convenient cold climate research center one long extension cord distance from the test site who are logging and streaming the test data.

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #52,117 of 148,984
2019, Chapter 14:
The Current Craziness

But again, we still have plenty of Saga S and Freya S…

Intrigued? Hold on...
I wonder if I'm going to turn out to be biggest fanboy for Saga S...let me say why:

It is so damn efficient, it just makes so much sense. It is crazy good value (up there I reckon with Asgard 3). And as near as I can tell, transparent, or at least very close to it.

Not that I wouldn't like a Freya + on my shelf one day.

And the Sol is a seriously cool TT and tone arm, also on the short list.

You guys are going to need an intramural baseball team just to use the name The Schiit Sluggers :)

Another one over the fence!

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #52,118 of 148,984
When I read this I already knew Jason's answers.
But then I thunk up some Things-to-stick-Schiit's-logo-on. You know, get-your-name-out-there non-electronic things. No engineering involved. A couple inspired by subjects often posted here and at Mike Moffat's thread:

Schiit DAC Cozy
Schiit Coffee Mug
Schiit Cat Litter Box

Maybe it could be called The Schiit Literally Cat **** Litter Box?

(and, just for me for suggesting the above) (or just accept an apology)
Schiit Scourge ...
I was wondering why I was a Schiit fan, and then it hit me :face_palm:

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #52,119 of 148,984
Jotunheim R is the official name. Not super imaginative, but accurate. It's Jotunheim sized and it uses a Jotunheim bottom chassis. A lot of the mech is the same. Just every other part is different, from transformer to outputs, LOL. It's also a Nexus™ amp, unlike Jotunheim, so there are tons of matched parts.

BINGO.
@Jason Stoddard so being Nexus, will it take either single-ended (like Bifrost MB original generation) or balanced input, but drive the RAAL headphones always in balanced mode regardless of input? 4-gang alps pot (no remote volume) ? How many front panel switch selectable inputs?

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #52,122 of 148,984
As a general rule turning on ALL of your gear, at one time, can prove to be 'problematic' in some cases and at times.
Of course depending upon what and how much gear will make a difference, but power amps can draw big current when switched on.
This in turn can result in 'shortages' for brief moments until the voltage and current draw re-stabilizes.

In extreme cases, fuses will pop, or worse, damage to the amp itself can occur.
And if the power being used for your gear is at the end of a branch circuit and there is additional load 'upstream', well all of these factors and more will mix and match and it can prove to be problematic.

Just a few thoughts to consider.

JJ

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #52,123 of 148,984
I've had my current setup (see sig) for close to 9 months and I am very satisfied. :L3000:

No hint of upgraditus yet, the Modi Multibit (latest firmware), the Magni 3, the Eitr and HD600 make a combination that still hits me with certain music like "Hey, this sounds really ******* good!" The fact that I continue to have those moments speaks to the quality that Schiit has put out.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #52,124 of 148,984
24 bit 48 kHz is very much ultra HD or whatever you call it. Even 24 bit 44.1 kHz is ultra HD in that sense. You most probably won't hear the difference with 24 bit 96 kHz
The quality of the app is quite another subject. I love the music quality of Qobuz, the app not so much.

The iOS Qobuz app isn't so bad. Better than the Tidal iOS app in my opinion.

The Windows and MacOS apps however is another story...

But yes I like the quality of music on Qobuz. That's a big reason for sticking with it.

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #52,125 of 148,984
I'm still waiting for details on the cheap DS DAC (chip?, implementation?) Mike really liked :astonished:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-735#post-15027001

I am so curious.:nerd:

edit: :sleeping:
or did I dream it?

If you dreamed it, I had the same dream. I thought it really odd, given that Mike has never been soft-spoken about his lack of love for D/S DACs. So when he teased building one that sounded good, even to his highly discerning and anti-D/S biased ears, I was very curious.

Unfortunately, I think that was also about the time Mike's health started becoming more of an issue, so AFAIK we never had any resolution to the tease of a baldr approved D/S DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back